Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-03-2020, 09:24 AM   #1

portable DISH satellite hook up

I have a 2019 Georgetown 34H5 motorhome. I just bought a portable King tailgate pro with two receivers ( not important). I can only find one cable port on the outside which is labeled park tv. Above living room tv is where all the cables come in which there are 4 cables coming in. 1) out to TV, 2) satellite 3) antenna ( which goes to outlet with button to boost signal in cabinet with blue light when one). 4) park cable. the box switches between all three cables. two big questions:
1) is there a satellite port on outside of RV? 2) Once we find cable coming in, how do you connect receiver to that cable coming in if it is connected to that box with the switch in it? receiver connects to TV by HDMI so that part is easy.
Michaelhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 10:31 AM   #2

Our Sunseeker was advertised as "satellite ready". The connection on the side is only for RV park cable. Checking on the roof, we found the coax connection with a rubber cap over it, underneath the vent cover of our Maxx air vent. Inside, in the cabinet with the TV connection and booster, was another coax fitting just for the receiver and then run a HDMI cable to one of the other ports on the TV.
Blank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 10:36 AM   #3

I will check outside, so on the inside I have the outlet that has the blue button on it for boost antenna that has a coax connection in a typical outlet, you are saying this is one I find the outside connection I can hook up this to receiver? If so, makes complete sense other than on the outside having to do hide and seek.,
Old 04-03-2020, 10:42 AM   #4

Is this your selector box?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	VCS-3__65204.1492456884.1280.1280.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	192.2 KB
ID:	226178  
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 11:02 AM   #5

Yes that is it. 4 cables coming into it. On the wall in the small cabinet is that coax outlet. Also checked and no cable on roof
Old 04-03-2020, 11:05 AM   #6

The park cable hookup is most likely the only coax input port. There is probably coax routed to the roof for a satellite dish (sat prewire). If you have the selector box shown the park cable port will be connected directly to that box. If you relocate the park cable from that box to your sat receiver it will be a straight shot (no splitters) to the receiver. Is your TV close enough to the receiver if connected this way for the receiver HDMI output to route to the TV?
Old 04-03-2020, 11:12 AM   #7

The roof top sat cable will be stowed under the roof. My roof top coax is stowed under a dummy roof top water (black/grey) tank vent. The roof top cable is typically for a permanent sat antenna installation although there are antennas that are dual purpose (permanent/carryout). This is a basic coax routing for Georgetown's. You may or may not have more TV's and the sat hook up is a roof mounted sat antenna but the basic scheme is the same for.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	TV Wiring.jpg
Views:	416
Size:	235.1 KB
ID:	226183  
Old 04-03-2020, 12:56 PM   #8

Flat cable

I just set up a Playmaker 2 and Dish Joey. Reviewing other posts I learned about the flat cable. Rather than mess with the prewiring in my Isata 3 I fit the flat cable under the screen (screen fits without issue with flat cable under) I got a short coax for the inside. Flat cable has 2 male ends. Outside the window I run the long cable to the dish.
Ghost Flat Wire, RG6 Coax Jumper Cable Extreme Slim Flat Cable for Window and Door,1ft
Don't know if its an option for you. Works great for me.
jentwistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 01:15 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jentwistle View Post
I just set up a Playmaker 2 and Dish Joey. Reviewing other posts I learned about the flat cable. Rather than mess with the prewiring in my Isata 3 I fit the flat cable under the screen (screen fits without issue with flat cable under) I got a short coax for the inside. Flat cable has 2 male ends. Outside the window I run the long cable to the dish.
Ghost Flat Wire, RG6 Coax Jumper Cable Extreme Slim Flat Cable for Window and Door,1ft
Don't know if its an option for you. Works great for me.
The OP doesn't have to worry about the prewiring either because he has a direct input to the sat receiver from the park cable port. Now, he does have a dual output sat antenna and this may be an option worth exploring for the second sat receiver because of only the one coax port (park cable) available.
Old 04-03-2020, 01:41 PM   #10

Thanks Bubbles... This worked out. I have bedroom TV to hook up but most likely will try to go to directly to TV as inside wiring my not get to this since it is a second receiver and not sharing the first one. Appreciate the help.
Old 04-03-2020, 01:41 PM   #11

This is awesome and will help for sure.
Old 04-03-2020, 02:13 PM   #12

Whatever you do for the second receiver remember that the antenna coax input to it needs to be a straight shot (uninterrupted from sat antenna to receiver).
Old 04-04-2020, 09:55 AM   #13

We bought a Dish portable last year. Only way to get the signal into our 2018 Surveyor was to run the cable through the window to the receiver. I've never been able to connect a satellite through an RV "Satellite" outside connector.
jrmartin67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 10:18 AM   #14

Michaelhall: If you sometimes plan on using the park cable port for a park cable input here is a simple way to accommodate that without having to relocate the park cable from your sat receiver back to the selector panel. A simple A/B $4.00 coax switch will allow this. This install uses the coax output of the sat receiver because no HDMI cable could be installed so disregard. There is no issue with A/B coax switches installed between the sat antenna and sat receiver.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	my satellite.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	100.3 KB
ID:	226222  
Old 04-07-2020, 12:48 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
The OP doesn't have to worry about the prewiring either because he has a direct input to the sat receiver from the park cable port. Now, he does have a dual output sat antenna and this may be an option worth exploring for the second sat receiver because of only the one coax port (park cable) available.
Though I certainly tried, I could never get sat to come through the park cable line.

ultimately requires a dedicated line like the one described as going to the roof. or in my case routed through the wall from a point near my television to a point outside where it was convenient turn on the cable to the portable dish.
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 12:10 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom48 View Post
Though I certainly tried, I could never get sat to come through the park cable line.

ultimately requires a dedicated line like the one described as going to the roof. or in my case routed through the wall from a point near my television to a point outside where it was convenient turn on the cable to the portable dish.
Same here....for me the deal killer was the $79 price tag per month from dish because I don't have them at home. I paid for one month and no more. The only way I got the dish to work was purchase an older analog receiver with a coax out port from ebay plugged into the rear compartment that my cable port was. I could watch what the tuner was tuned to on all TV's by tuning them to 3. The receiver was IR and I would have to go outside and point the remote at the tuner in the rear bay. Just too much hassle and costly if you casually camp like I do. Since then I have found using a visible cell phone for internet only along with fire sticks works quite well. I haven't been all over but camped in MO, TX and Ar many times with a good enough to stream signal at each park. It uses the verizon network. I still have the portable dish along with the analog receiver if anyone is interested
Old 04-07-2020, 12:30 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclinton View Post
Same here....for me the deal killer was the $79 price tag per month from dish because I don't have them at home. I paid for one month and no more. The only way I got the dish to work was purchase an older analog receiver with a coax out port from ebay plugged into the rear compartment that my cable port was. I could watch what the tuner was tuned to on all TV's by tuning them to 3. The receiver was IR and I would have to go outside and point the remote at the tuner in the rear bay. Just too much hassle and costly if you casually camp like I do. Since then I have found using a visible cell phone for internet only along with fire sticks works quite well. I haven't been all over but camped in MO, TX and Ar many times with a good enough to stream signal at each park. It uses the verizon network. I still have the portable dish along with the analog receiver if anyone is interested
I know you don't want Dish but you could have used the Wally Dish receiver with an RCA (red/yellow/white) RF (which the Wally has) modulator ($15.00) to get the coax output you needed. Also, the Wally is RF remote controlled so walls would not be a problem. Just a thought.

Tags
lite, satellite