Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-05-2014, 05:57 AM   #1

Portable Satellite, Thoughts?

I'm picking up my new GT 351DS tomorrow. We will be using it at Mississippi State Football games extensively and the Horse Park we'll be staying at has 30/50 amp service and water but no cable.

I'm considering getting the Winegard portable satellite dish & receiver. http://www.amazon.com/Winegard-PA600...ellite-Antenna

It's clear I can have a tv hooked up to the receiver and watch the dish on the tv.

I wonder if anyone knows if I can plug the receiver into the cable input and watch the dish inside the RV? or if there is another non-invasive way to get the signal inside.

Does anyone have a different suggestion to get low-cost satellite service inside my coach while parked?
DustyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 07:13 AM   #2

I just unplugged the aux/cable cable at the switch box over passenger's head, plugged it into "satellite in" on my receiver, and then ran a cable from the receiver to the switch box. Now all TV's go through the receiver.
Sbryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 07:52 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbryant View Post
I just unplugged the aux/cable cable at the switch box over passenger's head, plugged it into "satellite in" on my receiver, and then ran a cable from the receiver to the switch box. Now all TV's go through the receiver.
+1

One of these days I'll get another A/B switch and wont have to switch the cables.
Old 08-06-2014, 05:49 PM   #4

It depends Dusty
If you have satellite service at home then you can take you receiver with you and a portable satellite dish. You can buy a manual, semiautomatic or automatic dish.
I purchased a dish on Craig's list for 50 bucks and it takes me about 15 minutes to hook up and align. I have run the input cable to one of the cable inputs with no problem but if you input cable has a splitter that is not satellite compatible it will not work.
What I ended up doing was adding another input to the coach ran it to the receiver then adding a transmitter to the TVs.
If you need help let me know

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Old 08-11-2014, 12:38 PM   #5
gspage53

Send a message via Yahoo to gspage53
When I bought my 351DS I went all put and bought in-motion dish with 2 receivers and placed the dome up top above the passenger seat This was before I had a lot of experience with motorhomes. In hindsight I would NEVER by a fixed mount dish or in-motion for a GT 351. For starters on the 2014 or earlier 351 the TV in the kitchen is hidden while the slide is in. I guess you could watch in the bunks but its not safe for kids to be in the bunks while driving. Second, most of the campgrounds have trees and when parked under trees the chances of getting a good signal are nil. The movable or portable dish may take some setup but being able to move it away from trees and point it is much more advisable than having the fix mount detail your choice of campsites. An expensive lesson learned, not to mention the cost was much higher.

Stan and Patti
2014 Georgetown 351DS
gspage53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 12:46 PM   #6

You can get an automatic portable Carry Out by Windgard. Set it out, it finds the satellite all by itself. It works with Dish or Direct ( just change a dip switch under the dome). And to help know where to sit it, if you have Dish Network, there is an app you can get for your iPhone that allows you to see the satellites. The app is called Dish for my RV.
Sbryant is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
satellite