Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-08-2017, 06:57 PM   #1

propane-carbon monoxide lp gas alarm

I replace my carbon monoxide LP gas alarm.This is on a 2012 george town 378 XL.The old one had 4 wires,2 white,red and black.The new one only red and black.Now I have no propane,there is a device on the line by the tank to cut off the gas flow.Is that tide back in to the old LP gas alarm two other wires?
manvel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 07:06 PM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by manvel View Post
I replace my carbon monoxide LP gas alarm.This is on a 2012 george town 378 XL.The old one had 4 wires,2 white,red and black.The new one only red and black.Now I have no propane,there is a device on the line by the tank to cut off the gas flow.Is that tide back in to the old LP gas alarm two other wires?
Quite possibly. Some RV's have a safety propane shutoff solenoid tied into the detector. That way if the detector alarm goes off, loses power, or such....the solenoid shuts off the propane flow from the cylinder.

It sounds like your solenoid is closing the propane flow off, as it's designed to.

Here is a thread on this:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...alve-7547.html

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 10:23 PM   #3

I found that I put the wrong part in,all that I found had only two wires. look on PPL web site and they have the one I need,professional model 70-742 has wires going to the solenoid.
manvel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 10:47 AM   #4

I can help you as I just did the same repair.
You can use the two wire set up but you do need to remove the propane solenoid inline at the tank.
Quite simple, just remove and reconnect line direct.
Then you can just power up the new two wire unit( power and ground) and your good to go.
Note you will not have the propane shut down if the alarm goes off.
If you want this you need to buy the kit you referred to that comes with a new solenoid as well.
Kind of pricey.
Take your pick
gronotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 10:54 AM   #5

Obosolence

I experienced a failure of my Safe-T-Alert sensor last year on my 2011 Georgetown.....replacement unit was the two wire black/red with a new solenoid..and it states clearly on the unit face that it has a "lifetime" of 5 years and must be replaced!
The previous unit had an expiration date of 2014 on the face!
The company plans to remain in business based upon the failures of their expensive units!
Good luck
ynott96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 04:13 AM   #6

My solenoid at the tank burned up a few years ago. I discovered that the solenoid is not a replacable part but that you need to purchase a complete kit containing both the detector and the solenoid. When it was replaced, I put the new detector into storage to be used when the one FR installed reaches its lifespan and dies. I also followed the service tech's recommendation and installed a shutoff switch near the detector that kills power to the solenoid. This allows me to shut off the propane at the tank from inside the rv. It's also a great battery saver when loading and unloading when I need power inside the rig but don't need any propane.

If your rig has a detector that's wired to a shutoff solenoid at the tank, I'd never remove the solenoid. It's a safety feature and you'd be better off getting the correct detector. If you absolutely need to use a detector that doesn't control the solenoid, you could temporarily wire the solenoid to lock it in the "on" position.

Phil
pmsherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 07:11 PM   #7

Camping world has correct propane/CO2 combo detector.

Tags
gas, propane