Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-19-2014, 07:28 PM   #1

Purchasing advice?? Thoughts?

Well I placed a deposit on a 2010 Georgetown....during the inspection it was found( salesman never said a thing) that the leveling system was missing the manifold and a few of the jacks were leaking.. When the salesman was asked about it.. He stated the parts were on order and would arrive in a few days.. We negotiated a price with said repairs( Im paying cash.. Dealer wanted me to pay before repair were started) I refused they insisted I got up and headed for the door.. When I was told by manager that it would be fine..I could pay when everything was repaired... .Salesman was supposed to call me when repairs were complete to schedule the pdi..It's been almost 3 weeks.... I called him twice and left message still no call back..... Starting to believe hey might be having a problem repairing the leveling system..... How much time should I give them?? They refused to right a deadline on the contract..

Thoughts? Opinions?
Old 08-19-2014, 07:32 PM   #2

Am I to understand that they tried to charge you for repairs to a camper that you do not even own? It was found during the PDI? Was this like a "sold as is" kind of thing? And then you wished for certain items to be fixed knowing the price reflected all the problems?

Or am I just misunderstanding? Very possible. lol

Vin.

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 10000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 07:33 PM   #3
gspage53

Send a message via Yahoo to gspage53
Man if you are able to get out of that dealership, I'd run as far and fast as I could go. There are dealers that will move heaven and earth to work with you and get a sale and keep the relationship strong. If they won't put it in the contract, I'd forget them. What part of the country are you in?

Stan and Patti
2014 Georgetown 351DS
gspage53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 07:35 PM   #4

IMHO they did not order the needed parts till after you left, most likely the next day.

I know you did the right thing by not paying when they wanted you to.

I would go back and see them face to face.
Old 08-19-2014, 07:43 PM   #5
gspage53

On another note, my experience has been that they turn repairs over to Service Dept. Perhaps they don't have your info correct? I had several incidents on my 2014 351DS PDI and the service guys were involved in the dialog, not the Salesperson.

Stan and Patti
2014 Georgetown 351DS
Old 08-19-2014, 07:58 PM   #6

Let me clarify ..The price we agreed to was with all noted repairs..( well below NADA) ..The agreed upon repairs were written into the contract...They wanted me to pay take the Motor home and they would call me when the parts came in.. ( that wasn't happening..I had Checked them on the BBB and they had 5 complaints all pertaining to promises of warranty).... Just want to get a feel on what would be a reasonable time span for them to complete repairs.. Before I contact them and my bank regarding the deposit....
Old 08-19-2014, 08:05 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinmaker View Post
Am I to understand that they tried to charge you for repairs to a camper that you do not even own? It was found during the PDI? Was this like a "sold as is" kind of thing? And then you wished for certain items to be fixed knowing the price reflected all the problems?

Or am I just misunderstanding? Very possible. lol

Vin.

Vin..I hired and paid a company to come out and inspect the MH beforeI sat down with them.. They explained all the issues some were minor some ( leveling jacks) not so minor... The list of repairs were given to the salesman and noted in the contract... They then wanted me to pay for the coach in full with a promise to complete said repairs at later date.... ( that wasn't happening)
speedjester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 08:07 PM   #8

Ah. Ok. Thanks for clarifing.

Unfortunately there is not a common answer for you. They like to use the whole we are waiting for parts excuse. Every dealer is different and all you can do is to just keep asking them.

If you still do not fell comfortable then you should just tell them to cancel the deal and give you your money back.

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 10000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 08:16 PM   #9

I want to give them a fair chance to come through.. From what I have read here people always seem to be waiting on parts....And If in fact they have started the repairs I have a funny feeling they are not going to give up the deposit that easy...
Old 08-19-2014, 08:25 PM   #10
gspage53

Sorry for hijacking this post but the BBB has excellent track record recovering money. An 'F' rating will effectively kill their reputation and has the potential for putting them out of business. I have used the BBB on an unrelated issue and was very satisfied with the results but the contractor wasn't. Even the threat can get them moving. One tactic MH business's use is to fine print the contract with an arbitration instead of litigation statement. I wont keep responding but use all your resources and make them know you are serious.

Stan and Patti
2014 Georgetown 351DS
Old 08-19-2014, 08:27 PM   #11

Three weeks seems to be a common time frame when having issues with an RV. If you really love the RV and are very happy with the deal you made then stick it out. Only other advice I can give, which I think you already know, is to do another PDI before any more money changes hands. Make sure every repair in the contract is completed to your satisfaction before sealing the deal.

Now with all that said, if it goes beyond 6 weeks I would get my money back and find another unit.

2013 Berkshire 390 BH
Old 08-19-2014, 08:33 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by gspage53 View Post
Sorry for hijacking this post but the BBB has excellent track record recovering money. An 'F' rating will effectively kill their reputation and has the potential for putting them out of business. I have used the BBB on an unrelated issue and was very satisfied with the results but the contractor wasn't. Even the threat can get them moving. One tactic MH business's use is to fine print the contract with an arbitration instead of litigation statement. I wont keep responding but use all your resources and make them know you are serious.

Stan and Patti
2014 Georgetown 351DS
I don't believe there bbb accredited.... They have according to the BBB responded and made efforts to correct complaints.. All the complaints were resolved to the complainants satisfaction...so they do the right thing they just have to be motivated..lol
Old 08-19-2014, 08:40 PM   #13
ARLO

I would run like hell.
rlocicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 08:41 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campin Cajun View Post
Three weeks seems to be a common time frame when having issues with an RV. If you really love the RV and are very happy with the deal you made then stick it out. Only other advice I can give, which I think you already know, is to do another PDI before any more money changes hands. Make sure every repair in the contract is completed to your satisfaction before sealing the deal.

Now with all that said, if it goes beyond 6 weeks I would get my money back and find another unit.

2013 Berkshire 390 BH

Campincajun.. I believe I got a good deal.. ( never brought a motor home before)I'm 18k below nada... And the inspector I hired tells me I got a incredible deal even if they didn't make the repairs...
Old 08-19-2014, 08:51 PM   #15

Walk away
Old 08-19-2014, 08:59 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Two items:

1) If they're not responding to you, it's possible they've written you off. It's possible they put the unit back up for sale instead of even starting the repairs and waiting to see if you ever come back for your deposit. By not returning calls, they can stall having you ask for your deposit back.

2) Regarding the BBB, they don't always fix the problems. Years ago I ran into an issue with my phone company. I cancelled my phone line when I sold my house. They cancelled the account, but continued to send me a monthly bill and expected me to continue paying for services not rendered. I tried to file a BBB complaint but the BBB came back saying they were a hopeless case, they couldn't get them to do anything, and sorry about your luck. (Note: the issue finally went away, but it took like 1.5 years to straighten out. In the end I ended up paying for equipment not returned (which they never came to get) and they wiped out the service charges.)
Old 08-19-2014, 09:16 PM   #17

If I have money down on a unit and can't get a call back from the salesman/dealer/service dept. I think I would be a little uneasy about what kinda relationship there will be AFTER the sale is completed. Just my thoughts....

2013 Georgetown XL 350
Bunkhouse
2002 F250 4X4 CC
2012 Jeep Liberty
Dijoeboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 09:16 PM   #18

I just noticed that it sounds like I have not been able to speak to anyone.... Let me rephrase...The salesman doesn't return my calls but I did speak with the sales manager last week ( Thursday )and she stated it should be ready the end of this week... I then got a call from the title department( Friday ). Who wanted to set up an appointment for the PDI and to complete the transaction for this coming Friday ...I explained to her I didn't want to make the almost 2 hr ride to be told the MH wasn't ready.. She stated she would make the appointment tentatively and She would have the salesman call me to verify the work would be completed...... I have not heard from the salesman ..And I again left him a message.... I'm not going to chase him... I will wait .Until someone calls to verify the work has been completed....Ill give them another week..