Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-04-2010, 01:42 AM   #1

Putting air in the outside rear dual of 2010 350 ts

I have a 2010 350 ts with aluminum rims. The inside tires on the rear duals have a valve extender that makes filling them a snap. On the otherhand, the valve stem for the outside tires on the rear duals terminates inside one of the circular openings in the rim and I cannot fit my tester or the air chuck over the valve stem. There is not enough room in the circular opening in the rim to enable to get a reading with my pressure guage nor to add air as needed. What have you others done to overcome this irrational little problem?
Lloyd.
starburst2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 07:03 AM   #2

There are tire pressure testers with a head made for those stems. Check at a semi-truck centre, they should have them. And they are much better quality than the cheap ones most people have.
crocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 03:41 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by starburst2 View Post
I have a 2010 350 ts with aluminum rims. The inside tires on the rear duals have a valve extender that makes filling them a snap. On the otherhand, the valve stem for the outside tires on the rear duals terminates inside one of the circular openings in the rim and I cannot fit my tester or the air chuck over the valve stem. There is not enough room in the circular opening in the rim to enable to get a reading with my pressure guage nor to add air as needed. What have you others done to overcome this irrational little problem?
Lloyd.
We have the same problem. I purchased a tester with a two way head that goes into the hole so I can test the tire. We also have a two way valve head for our compressor that we carry to fill up the tires. You can get both at truck stops and auto parts stores. Some people add the second extension so they can check both tires from the front. They are mounted opposite of each other.

Ken and Velda
Dahlgren, VA.
2008 Georgetown XL 378
2010 Ford Escape Limited
kvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 08:08 PM   #4

I would pick up a good set of valve extenders
Attached Images

Eric F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 12:39 PM   #5

Had the same problem, found a truck parts and service center
that installed a set of extentions for about $10, and that was in
Canada.
sophie2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 06:09 PM   #6

I had valve extenders put on all four of my rear wheels and had them riveted to the center hub cover - makes it so much easier to access.
Sterling All-Terrain Tow Bar - SMI Stay-In-Play Duo
Do What You Like - Like What You Do!
Los Popes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 02:46 PM   #7

I had my outside tire valve turned around and added an extender and grommet to the inside wheel. This came out a lot cheaper and better than the extender kit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	001.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	3997  
johnnypal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 11:31 PM   #8

Thanks all for the feedback. I will stop in at Flying J or the Autozone to see if they have the tester you refer to.
Lloyd
Old 12-17-2010, 12:04 AM   #9

For my outside rear tires, I just take the covers off. Takes about 30 seconds each, and then there's plenty of room for my 2-way nozzle to fit.
2008 Harley Davidson FXSTC
Our Rv motto..."take it slow..take it wide..take your wallet!"
dlitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 09:37 PM   #10

dlitten, thdere are no covers to take off. These rims are aluminumn but not Alco which have much larger holes. I don't recall who makes them but they are not Alcoa aluminum alloy rims. the holes are only about 1 1/2 inches in diameter which dont accomodate the typical air chuck or pressure tester. However, thank you for the feedback anyway.
Lloyd
Old 12-23-2010, 04:25 PM   #11

I see Lloyd. Sorry about that. I wasn't aware that the they didn't come off. Guess my rig's a little older now and well, I really haven't kept up with all the new advances and features of the newer Georgetowns. Well, good luck.
2008 Harley Davidson FXSTC
Our Rv motto..."take it slow..take it wide..take your wallet!"
dlitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 11:32 PM   #12

An update. I have been to three auto parts stores and a hardware store and could not find a tester/ air chuck with the configuration that woould enable me to test and add air to the outside dual. I forgot to check at the last truck stop where I had stopped to see if they had the mystical tester or air chuck.
Therfore I will have to go the extender route.
Old 12-23-2010, 11:40 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlitten View Post
I see Lloyd. Sorry about that. I wasn't aware that the they didn't come off. Guess my rig's a little older now and well, I really haven't kept up with all the new advances and features of the newer Georgetowns. Well, good luck.
Dennis
No reason to apologize. You were trying to be helpful based on ythe experience you gained from your coach. They change things every year and one of those things was to add aluminum alloy rims but they are a knock off of the Alcoa rims and have very small holes that complicate the testing and airing of the lrear tires. I appreciate your attempt to help.
Lloyd

Tags
georgetown