Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-08-2013, 06:27 PM   #1

Quality Question

I just purchased my first Forest River product (2014 Georgetown 335). I am starting to have second thoughts about the quality of this purchase. My first motorhome was a Winnabego product. I spent two days in the new unit to notice exterior paint quality issues and the overall quality of the interior. I took the time to visit the Forest River factory and thought it looked pretty good. My problems with my map lights and camera prompted my to do some Internet research. I found a site called "Pissed Consumer" in which there were 103 total complaints on Forest River. It seemed that most involved 5th Wheel and other travel trailers;however, quality concerns were a common factor. The quality on my Winnebego View was incredible and when I toured their factor their factory service was equally incredible. I still elected to go with a new Georgetown over a Winnebego Vista. I was told that Forrest River does not have factory service and you have to go thru the dealer where you purchased the unit. I spoke with the techs at my dealer and they are nice people but it seems that I know more about the product then they do and that concerns me. Anyway, sorry to be winded, but I was looking for some reinforcement from the group to reassure myself that I made a quality purchase. Thank you so very much for taking the time to read this.
BigGeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 06:37 PM   #2

You will find a lot of people that will complain about their camper. What you won't here is a lot from the ones that are happy with their Forest River product. I am one of the people that is happy with the purchase of my Forest River trailer. All and I mean all of the campers that you buy will have some problems. The main question should be will the factory fix this under warranty. If not then maybe your second thoughts are justified. I had second thought when we bought ours but it was used not new. I do not have second thoughts now and this is only my second season with this unit. I hope you get all of your situations fixed to your liking.
spierce617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 06:41 PM   #3

Can't speak for Georgetowns but we have had two Forest River Puma 5th wheels. You will always hear about the bad & rarely hear the good..............

Both our Pumas have been great ...... The 2013 has only been back for a privacy curtain to the toy room was poorly made. No major issues with either........

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 07:01 PM   #4

Have you had serious quality issues? Not sure if your worried about the "what if" or the "Houston we've got a problem" with your post. Forest River does have a factory repair center, there were GT's and other rigs there being worked when I visited the motor coach plant. I had mine for three seasons (Forester) and it held up well considering it went from Maine to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon to Texas and back again!

Best of luck.
mwebber78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 07:07 PM   #5

If there was a website about FR products called "pleased customer" IMHO there would be countless complimentary posts. The RV industry doesn't have the QC standards like other industries and every once in a while there's going to be something wrong that needs fixing.
Wiscampsin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 07:10 PM   #6
Site Team - Lou

Since it seems we only field questions about broken items or unhappy owners, I was getting worried. I started a thread some time ago to see if there was ANYONE here who was happy with their RV.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...t-23198-3.html
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 07:35 PM   #7

I had minor issues in the first year that I would consider normal. Had a big issue last year that I took care of myself. Even still, I am very happy with my georgetown 350ts. I would absolutely recommend Forest River. They found a way to make it through the last 5 years and that says alot to me. My grade is an A.
Eric52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 07:54 PM   #8

Thanks to all that commented. Maybe I am just being too "nit picky". Maybe you are right that these are not "major" issues. That is why I joined this group today because I wanted to hear from people that are happy with the product. Again, thank you very much to the people that took the time to comment.
Old 04-08-2013, 07:57 PM   #9

Herk7769, thanks for the thread you sent me. Nice to read the good things. It makes me feel better about my purchase.
Old 04-09-2013, 08:02 PM   #10

BigGeorge I have owned my Georgetown 360 for two years this month and put 17,000 miles on it. I had a few issues, most minor, at the on set but after clearing them up, I am a happy camper and starting my season off with many planned trips. I can not promise all will be perfect but it should work out for you. Good luck and enjoy the travel, you can get to your destination quicker, but the travel is more fun.
Old 04-10-2013, 12:11 AM   #11

quality question

howdy: yes you will have problems at first with your coach, but we all have. If you take back to dealer with 6 things wrong make sure they fix all of them. Make a list. I have fixed the entry door so it closes better, screws around water heater, moved couch back 6 inches and so on. This is normal stuff, and I did it all because I like working on it.so now I haven't done anything for a long time. I have a 2012, 378.all in all these motorhomes are pretty good, you just got to fix things or have them do it,dont worry to much it will all work out. We have traveled a lot of miles so far and I trust mine, this forum is a good source of info. Hang in there. And don't worry about asking questions Pete
petey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 06:56 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by copsuno View Post
BigGeorge I have owned my Georgetown 360 for two years this month and put 17,000 miles on it. I had a few issues, most minor, at the on set but after clearing them up, I am a happy camper and starting my season off with many planned trips. I can not promise all will be perfect but it should work out for you. Good luck and enjoy the travel, you can get to your destination quicker, but the travel is more fun.
Thanks, I appreciate the response.
Old 04-10-2013, 06:57 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by petey View Post
howdy: yes you will have problems at first with your coach, but we all have. If you take back to dealer with 6 things wrong make sure they fix all of them. Make a list. I have fixed the entry door so it closes better, screws around water heater, moved couch back 6 inches and so on. This is normal stuff, and I did it all because I like working on it.so now I haven't done anything for a long time. I have a 2012, 378.all in all these motorhomes are pretty good, you just got to fix things or have them do it,dont worry to much it will all work out. We have traveled a lot of miles so far and I trust mine, this forum is a good source of info. Hang in there. And don't worry about asking questions Pete
Thanks Petey.
Old 04-10-2013, 07:37 AM   #14

I have a 2012 model 360 I bought new (my second Georgetown MH) and other tha a couple of very minor issues it has been great. All makes generally have some intial shakedown issues at first.
BillMFl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 09:09 AM   #15
Del

I wish I could be one of those happy people. In the last two years, my Sabre has spent more time at the dealers and factory than at home/storage/camping. Presently waiting to go back to the factory now from mistake they did the last time it was there.
Technical Scuba Diving and Photography
15 years ex-military, Still enjoy the outdoors but not sleeping on the ground.
Del is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 01:55 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Del View Post
I wish I could be one of those happy people. In the last two years, my Sabre has spent more time at the dealers and factory than at home/storage/camping. Presently waiting to go back to the factory now from mistake they did the last time it was there.
Thanks Del. What kinds of issues did you have.
Old 04-10-2013, 03:16 PM   #17

Can't tell you how many times my Georgetown has been back for repairs. Bottom line, though, the dealer fixed everything wrong with it (except the leaking hydraulic pump cap, leaks as designed), during the warranty period.

Having said that, I have had two Southwinds, two Pace Arrows, one Itasca, and they all had problems. Most of the stuff had to do with vendors stuff that went bad.

All were fixed eventually. It taught me that no matter what brand you have, things will go wrong. Expect it. If nothing goes wrong, you are blessed!

I have been out of warranty over a year, and things are all taken care of and enjoying our rig, "as designed".

Enjoy your rig and happy trails!

Forrest
2011 Georgetown 378TS
2011 Ford Escape V-6 4X4
fbconsults is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 03:28 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbconsults View Post
Can't tell you how many times my Georgetown has been back for repairs. Bottom line, though, the dealer fixed everything wrong with it (except the leaking hydraulic pump cap, leaks as designed), during the warranty period.

Having said that, I have had two Southwinds, two Pace Arrows, one Itasca, and they all had problems. Most of the stuff had to do with vendors stuff that went bad.

All were fixed eventually. It taught me that no matter what brand you have, things will go wrong. Expect it. If nothing goes wrong, you are blessed!

Enjoy your rig and happy trails!

Forrest
Thank you sir.
Old 04-10-2013, 06:24 PM   #19
Tim & Lisa Trempert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Del
You should have bought a Georgetown.
Old 04-10-2013, 10:11 PM   #20
Retired US Army CW4

Just bought my second Georgetown, a 2014 329DS. I traded in my 2010 with 12,000 miles only because my wife saw the counter space on the new one and that was that. Anyway, this is my fourth motorhome. First two were Fleetwoods and I had more problems with them by far than my Georgetown. Everything from a generator transfer switch that left us without power our first time out to a miswired external outlet that gave you a shock every time you touched the step. I think the bottom line is that all new coaches seem to have issues. From my experience I had many fewer "issues" with my Georgetown than I ever had with the Fleetwoods. In addition, the Georgetown includes many more features for less $$ than most other brands.
Tom and Kat is offline   Reply With Quote