Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-09-2017, 01:25 PM   #1
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

Question about side of bed

I have a question about my 2012 Georgetown 351ds. At the left side of the queen bed, next to the rear of the coach, there is a box built from the side of the bed to the rear wall of the coach and extends about 3/4 the length of the bed. Can you tell me what this is far. It makes it very difficult to get in and out of bed. Can it be removed?
awwall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 03:40 PM   #2

Check and see, but I think it might be the top part of your outside storage compartment. We had that in our 335. It was the rear storage on the curb side.
adrinkard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 03:51 PM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

Not that, I already checked. The top of the storage bay is flat.

Thanks for reply
Old 06-10-2017, 09:30 AM   #4

I have a 2013 351DS and that box is the top of my pass through storage compartment. The "roof" of the storage compartment is higher on the driver/bed side and lower on the passenger side. So if yours has a flat all the way across roof then things changed between our years or you have a different layout.
EricNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 09:45 AM   #5

Here's a pic.... you can see the ceiling drop on the other side.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2099.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	247.3 KB
ID:	140765
Old 06-10-2017, 01:42 PM   #6

Where the ceiling of your storage drops is where your bed ends (foot of bed). That is the space between your slide out and bed when slide is out. That large compartment is only possible because your bed lays on it.
2013 351 DS
Watertown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 07:55 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watertown View Post
Where the ceiling of your storage drops is where your bed ends (foot of bed). That is the space between your slide out and bed when slide is out. That large compartment is only possible because your bed lays on it.
2013 351 DS

Correct. AAwal, does your rear compartment look like this one or different.?
Old 06-13-2017, 10:35 AM   #8
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

Eric, it looks like the picture you show. Looking into the storage compartment as you show, the box I speak of is to the Right,but on the bedroom floor. The bed runs from the opening you show down to the slide out. My slide opens to the left on the same side as the main door is on. The end of my compartment, looking to the inside right, does not drop down. The box beside the bed is about 4-6 inches wide and is between the bed and the rear of the coach. It does not run the entire length of the bed. I will try and get some photos today to show what it looks like.
Old 06-13-2017, 11:30 AM   #9
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

Here is picture of left of bed. It goes all the way to the rear wall. I makes it very difficult to get in and out of bed. What I want to know can that left section be removed?

Name:	IMG_0205.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	349.0 KB
ID:	141242

Here is underside of bed in below compartment. Nothing extends down into compartment.

Name:	IMG_0207.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	254.0 KB
ID:	141243

I am at a loss...
Old 06-13-2017, 12:45 PM   #10

Eric, if you raise the bed up you will probably notice that box continues under the mattress. That is if you have storage under the bed. I'm betting on the opposite side of your bed you have a compartment with a cabinet door on it. My compartment was flat also on top, that's why I had that box by the bed.
Hope this helps a little.
Happy Camping
adrinkard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 02:00 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by awwall View Post
Here is picture of left of bed. It goes all the way to the rear wall. I makes it very difficult to get in and out of bed. What I want to know can that left section be removed?

Attachment 141242

Here is underside of bed in below compartment. Nothing extends down into compartment.

Attachment 141243

I am at a loss...
It's the storage compartment - if you notice, the storage compartment goes all the way to the back wall of the RV (so, when facing it open on the drivers side,it's on your right) just like the "box" does.
The "box" you are referencing is the top side of the storage compartment- which is basically under the platform for the bed, so there is no storage access from the inside.

I agree it makes it super difficult to access that side of the bed (let alone trying to make the dang thing!) but personally I'd rather have the nice big basement and be slightly inconvenienced when in the bed....but that's just me.

Garren
Edgar & Carlos (felines)
RIP Sophie, the sweetest cat ever.
ChrisAndGarren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 03:30 PM   #12
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

Garren, thanks. Your made the lights come on. I never thought about the storage compartment going all the way up under the bed!! One of those "could not see the forest for the trees" moments.

Tags
bed