Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-14-2016, 09:33 PM   #1

Question for Dish users in RVs

Considering getting Dish for our Georgetown.

Does anyone have the Dish signal connected to more than 1 TV and if so, how did you do it?

I know there is a main receiver that will be hooked up to the main TV in the RV but i was trying to figure out how to get a signal in the TV in the bedroom. I was on the Dish RV website and it mentioned some sort of receiver with a modulator, but I think it still needs to be connected to the TV somehow? I'm trying to figure out if there is a way to get the Dish signal to the TV either in the bedroom or outside without running wires. I don't need HD in those other TVs.

I have Directv at home now but seriously considering getting Dish at home and with RV. Directv making it so hard to get satellite in the rig. They want to charge me $75 for an SD receiver and there are no portable satellites (automatic pointing) except for the super expensive type.
Lvnlife1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 09:43 PM   #2

Following. One fairly simple way is wireless hdmi, though it's expensive.
jtstromsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 10:01 PM   #3

Just be careful and don't sign the two year contract unless you are absolutely sure, you will use it that long. I had Dish in the recent past and decided to sign up again last May. They were running a special and I got the top program and internet for 2 years. About 9 months in the discounts started to end and my TV/internet was running $180 plus. with no movie channels. Recently, I decided to lower my bill. A new customer could pay $35 for the Top 125+, I had to pay $69. I could go to the same internet provider and get the same speed for $35 with no contract, with Dish I pay $69. I called and tried to negotiate a lower rate and they would not budge. I asked them, how much it would cost me in penalties if I just wanted to send everything back. They told me it would be just over $500. plus the bills. I dropped down to the 2nd lowest program package and lowest internet speed and my bill is still over $100. I will never recommend DISH again....
Old 03-14-2016, 10:38 PM   #4

I have a dual tuner receiver from Dish and can watch 2 channels on separate TV's.
tkarper14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 10:53 PM   #5

I use a wireless hdmi for my bedroom tv with directv. Here is their website if your interested.
Wireless HD Video Kit ? Gen 2, MyWirelessTV 2
Broadway Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 12:37 AM   #6

We have a King Dome in motion Sat on our GT. and on the sat dish there is a main and a Aux in and you will need 2 receivers on for each TV. The best way is for them to run the coax cable from Main to the receiver to the TV in Living room. I ran mine from the roof down the passengers side panel thru the dash and along the frame to slide out the drilled a hole up and ran behind the fireplace directly to the receiver. From receiver HDMI cable to TV.
For the bedroom tv same thing run coax cable along roof line and drilled a hole down from roof to behind where the tv is located. Then HDMI from receiver to TV. Nice thing is you can still watch cable if you are connected to Park cable. Only issue is you must watch from same sat signal, way around this is just turn on the channel before you go to bed. Hope this helps.
&
Our Baby Dachshund
Cammie
ramair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 12:00 PM   #7

I have two sat. jacks outside the TT. One runs to the bedroom and one to the living room. There are separate receivers for each TV and the outside jacks connect to two jacks on the sat dish. Many ways to do it. I do not have sat at home and pay $30 a month for the three months I travel in the summer. No contract.
2014 Sebastian Charleston,SC to Finger Lakes, Lake Erie, Lake Cowanesque,PA and home
2015 Sebastian to PA,NY,WI,MN,return to NY and home
2016 GA,SC,NC,TN,KY,OH,PA,NY,to Sebastian,FL
WSY DD693 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 12:02 PM   #8

I use Dish with the King Tailgater VQ4500 (this is the new model) it has 2 coax outputs but you need 2 receivers if you watch different channels at the same time. The Tailgater can be attached to the RV or can be used as a portable. I use the VIP211z receiver this is the newest solo model. If you already have Dish it cost $7 a month for each receiver but you deactivate it and at anytime and they prorate the charges. If you don't have Dish you can get on a monthly basis. Check the various deals online they charge the same for the programing but offer incentives my gave me free HD for life, protection package and $200 cash back. Good luck
edcronin01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 12:11 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lvnlife1973 View Post

Does anyone have the Dish signal connected to more than 1 TV and if so, how did you do it?

I know there is a main receiver that will be hooked up to the main TV in the RV but i was trying to figure out how to get a signal in the TV in the bedroom. I was on the Dish RV website and it mentioned some sort of receiver with a modulator, but I think it still needs to be connected to the TV somehow? I'm trying to figure out if there is a way to get the Dish signal to the TV either in the bedroom or outside without running wires. I don't need HD in those other TVs.

I have Directv at home now but seriously considering getting Dish at home and with RV. Directv making it so hard to get satellite in the rig. They want to charge me $75 for an SD receiver and there are no portable satellites (automatic pointing) except for the super expensive type.

We run with Direct TV in the TT. We use a portable SD like the one on the house. Cost was $89. Take a receiver out if our bedroom with us. Looking at auto antennas and all cost about $100 for dtv than ones for disk only. As long as SD is acceptable lots of choices. It only requires the super expensive antenna if you want direct TV high def.
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 12:14 PM   #10

think your answer would depend on if you want the 2nd (and/or 3d) TVs to just 'follow along' with the main tv or if you wanted independent receiver/tuning capability on those additional sets. I have the tailgater & 211 receiver, but the output on HD is on HDMI cable to the primary set.. then take the coax and 'blend' that into the house system. It gives me the same stuff on those additional sets. (but of course they can independently tune to the over-air locals as well).
Also added a modulator behind a VHS/DVD player to graft that into the system as well (channel 4)... and soon to replace that with a multi-channel modulator to (1) move that to a different channel and (2) hopefully blend the house blue-ray into things as well. Currently the house (genisis) only plays to the main TV. but sometimes would prefer to be able to see those seamlessly throughout the camper/outside.. not sure if this helps or just further confuses..
woody9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 12:15 PM   #11

We have a King Dome on the roof wired to jacks behind the bedroom tv so I can switch the main to either tv. Since the master controls which satellite your pointed to the secondary can only watch stations on that satellite. I also have two jacks on the back side to connect to a full antenna on tripod if the dome is blocked. If I did it again I would buy the King Dome that's available now that lets you move it from the roof to ground when needed. Pointing the regular dish got a lot easier with the Dish for my RV app. With DISH Network you can call them at any time to have your local channels changed to the locals where you are. This doesn't pertain to us, but be aware of you have anyone at home this won't work because when they change locals its for all your receivers so the people left home won't be able to see your home locals.
Center Point suspension
2018 Ram Laramie 3500 6'4" box 2WD
Demco AutoSlide 18k
Telstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 12:28 PM   #12
HikerBob

Send a message via MSN to HikerBob Send a message via Yahoo to HikerBob Send a message via Skype™ to HikerBob
We use paper plates.
HikerBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 01:30 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lvnlife1973 View Post

I run 3 TV's in my Sierra 376BHOK i use 1000.2 dish on tri-pod ican set it up and running in approx. 20 mins. i use a 722 rec. in br. it will run 2 tv's and has a internal dvr i HDMI it to tv and to house cable outlet then the tv in lr. set at ch.60 to watch 2 different shows at same time. then in the back br. i have 221k to run the 3rd tv HDMI'd to tv you have to select hdmi in the tv menu toget it. been working like for 4yrs 2different trls. I am full timer! 43ft. BH
Dick,
dicky1243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 01:44 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by edcronin01 View Post
I use Dish with the King Tailgater VQ4500 (this is the new model) it has 2 coax outputs but you need 2 receivers if you watch different channels at the same time. The Tailgater can be attached to the RV or can be used as a portable. I use the VIP211z receiver this is the newest solo model. If you already have Dish it cost $7 a month for each receiver but you deactivate it and at anytime and they prorate the charges. If you don't have Dish you can get on a monthly basis. Check the various deals online they charge the same for the programing but offer incentives my gave me free HD for life, protection package and $200 cash back. Good luck
Why don't you get a 722 rec. then you only need 1 cable to rec and use hdmi 1 tv and run a cable off the rec. to the in house connection ( don't forget to shut off amp.) for cable then for the lr tv hook from cable connection to tv and set tv to ch. 60 you can watch 2 different programs and rec. from both tv's at the time. dish don'ttell you the easy cause they want to sell equip.
Dick,
dicky1243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 02:31 PM   #15

I bought an Actiontec wireless hdmi system on Amazon. The cables come down from the satellite dish to a dvr. A wireless transmitter is connected to a hdmi port on the back of the dvr and a wireless receiver is connected to an hdmi port on the tv. Additional receivers can be connected to other TVs and synced with the transmitter. I only run it to the main tv right now and so far (about 6 months) it works fine. Nice HD picture. If you run multiple sets at the same time, there may be a timing issue between them.
FroggyRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 03:04 PM   #16

I have dish at home & when we go on the road I bring my receiver and Joey which is an add on receiver for a 2nd tv.I have a 2nd dish that I bring also to get signal. I only do this when we are going to Florida for the winter. When I camp in the northeast most campgrounds have cable. But as far as I'm concerned dish is far better than direct tv.I've had both.If you have trouble setting the tv up dish will send someone out &they will set you right up no charge.I hope this answers some of your questions.
shark13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 06:30 PM   #17

Dish tv

I can watch 3 tv's from my dish tailgater, 1 receiver added nothing but cable wires and hdmi cable which I had a couple laying around.
Boso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 08:03 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by shark13 View Post
I have dish at home & when we go on the road I bring my receiver and Joey which is an add on receiver for a 2nd tv.I have a 2nd dish that I bring also to get signal. I only do this when we are going to Florida for the winter. When I camp in the northeast most campgrounds have cable. But as far as I'm concerned dish is far better than direct tv.I've had both.If you have trouble setting the tv up dish will send someone out &they will set you right up no charge.I hope this answers some of your questions.
Will you share what you prefer about Dish over Directv? Does Dish have movies like Redbox does? I've had Directv for over 10 years and I've always thought of it as better in programming than Dish but it seems they have a better plan for RVers.
Lvnlife1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 08:44 PM   #19
MCTroy

This is a great thread. We are moving the bricks and mortar house tv this weekend. We were considering going wireless with the hdmi. Thanks for the advice here! Next up is deciding between dish and direct tv. I get a little better deal with ATT and Direct tv combined. Thanks for the good information here!
MCTroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 09:05 PM   #20
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

We have an in-motion satellite antenna and a standard definition receiver that is wired into the coax switchbox for the whole coach. All 5 tvs will receive the signal from the receiver, but you are limited to one channel. This usually isn't a big deal for us, as the kids have all their own movies on drives. There are other ways, but since ours is an in-motion Direct TV, it only gets standard definition anyway.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote