Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-16-2020, 01:17 PM   #1

Smile Radio Antenna Cord and door

Hello All, we are the brand new owners of a GT5 34H that we picked up a few days ago. While we not new to MH's, we were long time Southwind Storm owners, we are new to the FR family and are learning a great deal about it each day and I am hoping to get some info on a few things from all the experts out there.

First, the radio in the coach powers on fine. The cameras work, I can move about the option buttons and so forth with no issues. However, during the ride home from Arizona with our new ride, we were plugged into the aux with an ipod and an SM radio and were enjoying our tunes. Since we were on the road across the desert back to Cal, we never even tried to play with the AM/FM selections. Once at home and while arranging stuff in our new ride, I decided to turn on the radio and tune into some local stations. Radio powers on fine but all I get is static on all broadcast stations. I suspect that the antenna either fell out or did not get connected to the radio. I am perfectly willing to try and check the back of the radio to see if the antenna is plugged in but for the life of me I can not figure out how to open remove the unit from the console so I can get to the back of it. Anyone know how the radio comes out or how I can get to the back of it?

Second, the shock absorber limiter for the front door. Evidently while at the dealer before it found it's home with us, the door must have been opened and closed a lot because the tension holding the end of shock on the coach side keeps popping off. I will replace the shock, no problem, but anyone come up with a way to back up the shock absorber limiter to keep the door from opening too far when hit by a wind gust and then hitting the awning support?

Third, when you open the storage bins on all sides, if you are not careful they can forcefully hit the side of the coach when fully open which I think will lead to scratches and/or dings in the paint. Anyone tried to put some sort of rubber bumpers on the doors to minimize impact?

Thank you in advance and I look forward to learning from all of you!

Bill and Maureen
2020 GeoTwn GT5 34H
centurion493 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 04:44 PM   #2

Radio Antenna

Ok, commenting on my own thread....

I figured out how to get to the back of the radio. For those who do not know, it is painless and actually easy. Remove the four phillips screws holding the plastic panel to the center dashboard console. Then simply carefully pull the panel out towards you away from the dashboard console. All of the electronic devices, switches, usb connectors and so forth are actually mounted to the plastic panel and come with it when you pull it towards you. You then have easy access to all of the connections on the back of the radio and fuses and on and on. I do have to give props to FR. All of the wires behind that panel are clearly marked and labeled for ease in identification. That is the good news. The bad news is that the antenna was fully plugged in to the back of the radio. I took it out and pushed it firmly back in in case it was loose or something but alas, still nothing but static. Now I am thinking it might be loose or disconnected where it connects to the external roof mounted antenna. Now to figure out how to check that one.....
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sahara w/ RVi3 Brake Control
Old 06-16-2020, 10:10 PM   #3
NXR

I know the XL and/or GT7 have a strap thing that keeps the basement doors from slamming open in the wind. I've never seen one for real nor do I know how they're attached but I've seen them on some demo videos. I've had some doors blow open and, so far, no marks or damage. I've just gotten in the habit of not leaving them open.

If you have a multimeter, see if you have continuity between the antenna cable and the whip above the driver. I assume it's actually present. I've never measured mine to see if it has any kind of shunt but it sure should not be a dead short from the center conductor to the ground.

I haven't had any problems with the shock on the door yet other than "someone" not holding the door when it opens and bending the floor brackets. <sigh> If the wind is blowing strong we keep the door closed.

Ray
Old 06-20-2020, 08:10 PM   #4

[QUOTE=centurion493;2346179]
"Second, the shock absorber limiter for the front door. Evidently while at the dealer before it found it's home with us, the door must have been opened and closed a lot because the tension holding the end of shock on the coach side keeps popping off. I will replace the shock, no problem, but anyone come up with a way to back up the shock absorber limiter to keep the door from opening too far when hit by a wind gust and then hitting the awning support?"

I installed a piece of Parachute Cord between the top of the door frame and the top of the door to protect it from a strong wind blowing it against the Awning support arm. The length of the cord will depend on how far you want the door to open.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200327_173400-1.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	281.0 KB
ID:	231967   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200327_173415-1.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	227.4 KB
ID:	231968  

2019 Georgetown GT5 31R5 w/2016 Chevy Colorado Toad
Days Camped: 2017 - 45, 2018 - 52, 2019 - 70, 2020 - 32, 2021 - 16
Papaduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 04:48 PM   #5

My radio did the very same thing and as with yours was not the connection. Turned out to be a bad radio and they replaced it under warranty.
Mike60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 06:09 PM   #6

Radio Antenna

Thanks for the comment. I called the radio folks and was given two options. Take it to a dealer and have them swap it out or I can send it back, they will check it out and send me a new unit so I can put it back in myself. While there are a lot of wires, it looks pretty straight forward (I would take a lot of pictures first) and all of the wires appear to be labeled. I am strongly considering doing this, sending it back and then putting it back in myself rather than taking it somewhere to let it sit for two weeks until they get around to it. Did you swap it out yourself of have the dealer do it? I bought the MH out of state and I have heard that while dealers will do warranty work on MH's they did not sell, they put you on the back burner at the end of the line which seems fair I guess. I will not take it to camping world. I was thinking Mike Thompson's which has two places nearby. Anyone have any experience with this situation re warranty work from a place that you did not buy it from?
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sahara w/ RVi3 Brake Control

Tags
antenna, door, radio