Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-22-2020, 04:11 PM   #1

Rain/water pooling on main slide topper

We have a 2019 Georgetown GT5 31L5. We have been having an issue with water pooling in the middle of the main slide topper. Has anyone else experienced this problem? If so what was your solution? Can the tension on the topper be adjusted/tighten? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
RTW2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 04:15 PM   #2

this has happened to many folks some use a pool noodle under the toper or a beach ball to elevate it. Yes you can adjust the tension however when doing this remember that you are also putting more tension on the slide motor. I would adjust it no more then one turn tighter.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 04:19 PM   #3

some have mentioned using a beach ball, or inflatable item, and shoved it into the area above the slide where the water collects, sending it in differing directions...

I would imagine you would need a long pole if it has to be somewhere in the 'middle' of a long full-wall slide awning... plus a string or rope attached to it in order to pull it out when you are ready to move.

I use several big blankets/sleeping bags in both ends of our full wall slide awning when very high winds are expected, as it minimizes the 'flapping' of the ends of the awnings, stopping the wind from whipping thru the awning...

another option is to simply run in the slide, if even just a little bit, and the water may then easily get pushed off the front of the slide roller as the awning gets taught during the movement...
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 06:32 PM   #4
NXR

I wrote it up and the dealer said "The manual says that can happen." I responded with "I asked you to check that the topper tension is set properly." They said "It's set properly", which means they did not even look at it.

It's only the topper next to the entrance door, of course, so now I just try to keep the motorhome a few tenths of a degree high in the front so the A/C water drains off the rear and hopefully the topper will drain that way as well. When that topper drains forward it's a mess going through the door.

Ray
Old 01-23-2020, 01:37 PM   #5

I have used a cheap plastic air mattress, but haven't used any in years. the pooling has never hear anything so I said the hell with it. It was not nor has it ever created a problem
Old 01-23-2020, 03:16 PM   #6

its always going to happen, especially on a long slide out. the tension is on the outside ends and the roller will bow in the middle and cause slack that allows water to pool in the middle. either use pool noodles or something else that you can shove under the awning and hold the center up. increasing tension will only affect the edges. like I said it will always be a problem on the longer slideouts.
Easymoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 10:51 PM   #7

I get this problem after rain in my 328TS. I climb on the roof with a broom and sweep it off, if I’m needing to bring in the slides before the water blows or evaporates off.
Scagsdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 11:59 PM   #8

I had the same problem on three of the 5th wheels that I had so when I ordered my Cedar Creek 35 CKTS we didn't get the toppers.
BM Welder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 05:28 AM   #9

I gave up and just let it pool. Don't think it hurts anything, albeit a bit of material stretch which I can always tighten if it bothers me.
Rusty
lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 09:54 AM   #10

I sometimes have a problem with water coming off the slide topper near the entrance door. This seems to happen when someone is standing there! (just kidding). I use an adjustable pole with an attached brush to push the water off the back of the topper. I use a step ladder to gain access.
wilfb100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 11:29 AM   #11

On our 15 Coachmen we always had this problem. I went on the manufactures site and they recommend a roller support off the slide for the size of our slide. It elevates the roller, taking the sag out. Ours didn’t have it installed from the factory, so I got one and it solved the pooling problem.
shortkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 11:35 AM   #12
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilfb100 View Post
I sometimes have a problem with water coming off the slide topper near the entrance door. This seems to happen when someone is standing there! (just kidding).
I wish I could say "just kidding" but that is exactly when it seems to happen the most. Our dogs are older so we have one person n each side of the steps to help them if needed and the loser gets wet.

So I started leveling the motorhome so it's a few tenths of a degree high in the front to try and get the water to run off the rear of the topper and the rear of the roof.

Ray
Old 01-25-2020, 11:48 AM   #13
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayo View Post
I have used a cheap plastic air mattress, but haven't used any in years. the pooling has never hear anything so I said the hell with it. It was not nor has it ever created a problem
Quote:
Originally Posted by Easymoney View Post
its always going to happen, especially on a long slide out. the tension is on the outside ends and the roller will bow in the middle and cause slack that allows water to pool in the middle. either use pool noodles or something else that you can shove under the awning and hold the center up. increasing tension will only affect the edges. like I said it will always be a problem on the longer slideouts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcv800 View Post
I gave up and just let it pool. Don't think it hurts anything, albeit a bit of material stretch which I can always tighten if it bothers me.
Rusty
I agree and don't believe it is a 'problem'.

On long slides, you simply can't adjust the topper tight enough to where water doesn't pool without concerns of too much tension on the topper brackets/slide frame or adding too much additional force to the slide motor(s). And, as mentioned, the roller tube bows and there is simply nothing you can so about that. They are smaller in diameter than the main awning tubes and much lighter.

I just let it pool and if I think it might dump towards the door at some point I'll take my wash brush with an extension handle and push up on the topper at midpoint from the side and it nicely runs off the rear.

Any slight stretch to the fabric always shrinks back quickly and I'd sooner have the water laying on the topper than a bare slide roof where it has the potential to seep into seams.

Pool noodles [three taped together in a triangle) or beach balls work but something I don't believe necessary.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide, water