Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-17-2011, 05:43 PM   #1

Raising tires off ground

I have a Georgetown 330, what is good practice relative to raising tires off ground during leveling.
MikSher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 06:18 PM   #2
Lottery Non-Winner

My 337 will do it if necessary to make the chassis level. For class A's I think it is fine.
For travel trailers and 5ers, the stabilization jacks are not designed to lift the weight, so lifting the wheels should be avoided.

2011 Georgetown 337
2009 HD FLHTCU
2007 HD FXSTC
Ovair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 06:59 PM   #3
Kanadian Kamper

Don't do it!!!

Just try to imagine IF the rig were to roll off the jacks for whatever reason. How much would it cost, and what kind of emergency vehicle would you need to get your rig lifted up off the crumpled jacks..........and then to cut what remains there would be of the jacks to drive your rig to get replacement ones. $$$$$$$$

They are there to assist in levelling the rig with the tires, not be a substitute for the tires. I'm pretty sure you'll never see it in print to lift your tires off the ground. If you can't level the rig with the tires on the ground.........move to somewhere, where you can.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 09:23 AM   #4

Our 378 will lift a tire almost every time we level. Does it hurt it, no. Will it roll off the jacks, no, if you set the emergency as you should. I see tires lifted on class A units all the time, it is a fact of life. Our book says to not use the jacks for changing tires, etc., as it can torque the frame if it is in an unlevel position such as a road side breakdown situation. It also indicates that raising a tire in the leveling operation is aqcceptable.
JimF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 01:49 PM   #5

We've been places where we have had to raise the front wheels of the ground. I don't believe that should be a problem. But...I'll never lift the rear wheels off the ground! Transmission in park and you can lay on the parking brake all you can but if the rear wheels off the ground you are flirting with disaster. There is nothing to keep it from "rolling" resulting in extensive damage to the leveling system. Front wheels off the ground, do it all the time.
Kirby the Old Dog, passed but still in our hearts
Max E. Dog, the new pup
Eureka the Old Cat, still hangin' on
Lostdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 07:08 PM   #6
Lottery Non-Winner

Did someone's RV roll off of a hydraulic post when a wheel was off the ground?

2011 Georgetown 337
2009 HD FLHTCU
2007 HD FXSTC
Old 10-19-2011, 12:28 AM   #7

I've had occasions, when leveling my rig, that the front wheels were up in the air. I found the rv to wobble a bit on the jacks. Not good. So I usually carry a couple of boards with me to put under the wheels in these cases.
The Hankster
2007 Georgetown XL 359TS
Hankster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 05:41 AM   #8
CLASS "A" Senior Member

I've seen both front and rear tires off the ground. Personally I would not do it. Rear tires off the ground, no parking brake. Front wheels are probably acceptable but I'm sure there will be more movement of the coach when walking around inside. I always have the Lynx Levelers to drive on to and then level the coach when needed. For the small amount of time it takes to set them up, I'll take that safe feeling every time.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 07:56 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hankster View Post
I've had occasions, when leveling my rig, that the front wheels were up in the air. I found the rv to wobble a bit on the jacks. Not good. So I usually carry a couple of boards with me to put under the wheels in these cases.
The Hankster
2007 Georgetown XL 359TS
X2- If I can't get level with all wheels on the ground I will either put blocks (I carry 1'x1' pieces of plywood) under the wheels or ask to be moved to another site. I don't like having my wheels (front or back) off the ground because I feel it is not safe. JMHO

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 10:00 AM   #10
2011 Berkshire 390bh

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmmar View Post
X2- If I can't get level with all wheels on the ground I will either put blocks (I carry 1'x1' pieces of plywood) under the wheels or ask to be moved to another site. I don't like having my wheels (front or back) off the ground because I feel it is not safe. JMHO
I definitely would not raise my tires off the ground with my jacks. Either carry blocks to raise the rig or move to another site. Getting up in the air with the tires off the ground can result in some major league damage and is just not worth the risk.
Old 10-19-2011, 12:26 PM   #11

Just like your feet -- keep your wheels on the ground.
jmduc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 09:34 AM   #12
Anacortesians

When camping, absolutely not. Front wheels off may be OK, but it's a long way to the first step on the stairs. Back wheels off, no parking brake!

On the other hand, when parking it for the winter on a level lot, I'm considering just off the ground, lifting it with the jacks, then putting heavy-duty axle stands under the frame immedaitely next to the jacks and retracting the jacks.

The jack manufacturer says not to leave the jacks down without frequent anti-corrosion procedures (wipe down the exposed piston rods with silicone fluid every week) if you're parked "close' to salt water. They define "close" as within 60 miles. We're about 60 yards, across the street from houses that are on salt-water marina waterfront.
Old 10-29-2011, 07:19 AM   #13
Tim & Lisa Trempert

I use the auto levelers and sometimes they take the front wheels off the ground and sometimes the back wheels come off the ground. One of the reasons I bought a class A was because I was tired of putting blocks under wheels, trying to get things level, etc. I like to pull in and "push a button". I did put the unit through a test and put it in my driveway which has a fairly significant slope. The jacks would not extend because it said the coach exceeded the safe angle (there is a light for that). I've got to think the manufacturer has taken into consideration the safety factor of having either front or rear wheels off the ground. In fact, the other day the two right wheels were off the ground as the lot I was on was sloped to the right.

That said, if anyone has ever heard of a coach "rolling" off the jacks or collapsing because the wheels were off the ground, please post so I can change my practices.

Thanks.
Old 10-29-2011, 09:14 AM   #14

I've been reading this thread with interest. My auto setting on the Lipperts often lifted the whole coach off the ground. Resetting the level point per the manual didn't change anything. Just to be more secure I use the manual setting and do my own thing. I try to keep the back wheels on the ground as best I can. Given the weights on the leveler legs, I have a hard time imagining any coach rolling over somehow. If it did, then it hits the wheels and parking brake applies.

I try to get fairly level before I set up but I too am not going to mess around with a bunch of leveling pads or other paraphernalia. If someone has tipped over, I would love to hear about it.
Old 10-29-2011, 11:15 AM   #15

I saw a camper last year raise his rear to high ( wheels off the ground ) and rolled about 6-8 inches and bent his 2 rear jacks. I am sure that cost a couple of bucks to repair. The worst part for him was the " lecture" he got from his DW, she knew some words that would have made a sailor blush.
jmduc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 06:12 AM   #16
Tim & Lisa Trempert

jmduc,
Sounds to me like he didn't use the proper procedure from the manual. You are to always get all 4 jacks on the ground prior to raising the coach. If all he did was raise the rear and the front jacks were not solidly on the ground, I can absolutely see this happening. If you use the proper procedure, the jacks are built to lift the coach as needed to level it.
Old 10-30-2011, 07:52 AM   #17
Lottery Non-Winner

Agreed, with only the rear lifted, you're asking for trouble. But with all four pads in firm contact with terra firma it should be as stable as a deck on sloped terrain.

2011 Georgetown 337
2009 HD FLHTCU
2007 HD FXSTC