Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-21-2011, 08:24 AM   #1

Re: RV Direct

I checked with RV direct for price quote on Georgetown since it was so highly recommended by everyone. From what I read, they have the best price quote, or at least one of the best.

However, my experience with them was very bad. I don't know if anyone had similar experience.

I asked for a price quote on Georgetown VE, and Thor Windsport. I had both of them very loaded, and the price quote was in the mid to high $60K. They did give me a good quote on these two models.

The third model I checked was a Georgetown model, loaded with full body paint. The quote was more than $90K.

I asked the person who responded to my quote D* why there is such a big discount difference between the two models. Their advertisement was 20-40% off MSRP, and the price quote for VE was about 35% off, and the price for regular Georgetown was 20% off. I asked D* since both models are from the same manufacturer, is it possible for her to give me a better price quote on the regular Georgetown.

The answer was NO. That is the best price she can give and their company has no room for negotiation. She told to just remove the full body paint option for a better price.

She must be kidding. I had seen RV direct giving out much better quote than this. I didn't even bother to ask her again.

Then, I asked around at other dealerships...and even my local dealer beated D*'s quote. The WORST quote I've got is at least in the higher $80's with room for negotiation.

Now, I am not complaining because RV direct wants to make money. I want the dealers to make money so they can stay in business.

What I don't understand is why D* is willing to give much more discount on the value priced models(where they have less margin), and less discount on the higher end models(where they have much more margin.)

I felt D* is trying to push me into making a decision to get more value priced models, or higher end models without full body paint. It is almost as though D* wanted me to buy Georgetown VE because she believed that I should only get a VALUE priced model.

I like Georgetown VE, and I don't think there's anything wrong with getting a VALUE priced model. It's great if someone likes it, but we wanted to get a bigger model that fits our need, and I don't like someone pushing me into getting a "Value priced" model because they think you should get it.

Has anyone has similar experience like this? All the price quotes are on special orders, so she really shouldn't have a preference at selling either. If there's a preference, it should be on whichever model they can earn more, and not whether it's a higher priced or more value priced...

I love RVs, but I just don't like the way many dealership works. They give you price quote judging from your appearance, or the way you talk. I had one dealer who said their quote was in the $90's, and told me, "are you asking for $80's, or do you want me to do $70's?" I can't imagine being the customer who bought at $90K's because I didn't ask and meet someone who buys at $70K's.
dolphin1349 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 12:00 PM   #2
Grape Escape

So what is your point? Buy from whomever gives you the best price for the model with options you want. If that is local so much the better.
Ps welcome to the forum
44 for 2011, 38 for 2012, 35 for 2013, 51 for 2014
dezolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 12:03 PM   #3

Actually, I just had a very bad experience with RVdirect's affliated dealership(not their internet department, but their actual dealership). I came to the forum searching for negative feedback and saw your post.

My experience was probably much worse than yours. When I called RVdirect last week asking for a quote on Gerogetown model, they told me they cannot give me any quote unless I have already shopped around and obtain quotes from other dealers.

I called a few dealers and asked for quotes. Most dealers would not give an exact quote unless I would purchase immediately, but they did give me a price range.

I called back today and told him the quotes that I've received(74000-85000). He told me his quote is $100,000+. I told him that the price was too high. He was literally screaming off the other end of the phone when I told him it's easy to buy one on ebay.com in the $80s-$90s.

His words were," how can you compare my motorhome with that of ebay's?" I don't understand why not. The ones on ebay are brand new and are listed by Forest River dealers.

He was just screaming and saying that you will buy from me because I am offering the best quote.

I told him that his quotes are not the best quotes I got. He said "THEIR COMPANY POLICY IS THAT THEY GIVE OUT THEIR PRICE ACCORDING TO THE BEST PRICE THAT THE CUSTOMOR RECEIVES FROM OTHER DEALERSHIP."

That means they just steal customers from the other dealerships and give you any price according to the price quote of another dealership. THAT IS HOW THEY DO THEIR BUSINESS. Since I didn't give him an exact price quote but only a price range, he will only give me $100,000+ price.

Forget about their 20%-40% off. It just doesn't work that way. I don't like to get a best quote from another dealer only to find another dealer to beat it. I feel that if I get a good quote from a dealer, and I am satisfied, I don't want to go to another dealer to beat it by $85. Sometimes, to get a best quote that means spending a lot of time with a customer, and it is just not fair to have RV direct steal customer that way.

One thing to note was he kept telling me to take off the full body paint too. Maybe this company just doesn't like to sell motorhomes with full body paint.
meowy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 01:18 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Meowy - The type of behavior you described is disturbing regrdless if its RVD or a local dealer. Did you ask to speak with his manager? I'm curious because this is not the typical behavior (e.g., screaming) described by other customers. I would also be curious to hear if the manager would be unwilling to quote you immediately rather than making you shop around first. Sounds strange.
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 06:15 PM   #5

Gee whiz.......this all sounds astounding. My new Georgie was purchased with respect and diligence. I got a great deal and we parted friends forever. It was a great experiance.
polkatronron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 09:59 PM   #6

Hi! Thanks for everyone's response!

I did call back to ask for the manager. I feel I was so mistreated. The salesperson shouted before I hang up the phone ,"You didn't do your homework. You should go shopping around for quotes. You have to come back to me. Go get the quote! Go get the quote! You have to do your shopping."

I couldn't stop his shouting, so I just told him I won't do business with him and got off the phone.

When I called back to speak to the manager, the manager said he was with the salesperson when he spoke to me, and he didn't find anything wrong with the salesperson's attitude.

I told him about how he makes me to shop for quotes, and I think it is very atypical to ask people to shop for quotes and not give any quote prior to that. The manager told me,

"you find that strange because you don't live here. We have rules and laws here that we must follow."

The manager was calm at his response and didn't scream at me, but his response didn't make sense at all to me.

The manager asked me if I was upset because I didn't get a good price. He said for Georgetown, a full color paint must be a $100,000+ price. He kept emphasizing full color paint option.

I told him, "No, that is not why I am upset. I don't need to buy from you, and we don't need to have a business deal. It doesn't bother me if your price quote is higher than what I want to pay. I can just buy from a person whose price quote I find reasonable and happy to work with. I don't need to call every dealer in order to find the best possible quote, but I will just settle when I find a quote that I am happy with. I don't get upset by anyone's quote. If that's the best quote you are willing to give, then the choice is mine to accept or not. There's no reason to be upset because the quote doesn't match what I am willing to spend. What I cannot accept is the sales attitude of screaming and shouting."

The manager went on saying that they have really good price of 40% off MSRP, but that is on models that are half a million. For a Georgetown rig the best price is definitely in the $100,000s. It's not possible to find a 40% off MSRP at this price range. I am puzzled. By what dolphin1349 posted, RV direct gave around 35% off for Georgetown VE which are priced at a lower price point than Georgetown.

I explained to the manager all that I requested was a quote, if you can't even give me a quote, just let me know.

The story goes on and on. In short, the manager approves of the salesperson's behavior. He tells me it's standard practice to have customers to ask for specific quotes before contacting them. The only reason I don't know this is because I don't live there(dealership?).

What I don't understand is if each dealership needs the other dealership's price quote before they are allowed to quote, how can a customer ever receive any quote? Who's going to be the first one to quote? He said it's against rules to give quotes first without having any quotes.

Furthermore, what puzzles me the most is the only quote that he can give me is it will be more than $100,000. If you shop enough and do your work, then we will match the price. The salesperson said, "You just haven't shopped enough. You should call everyone."

I am not their marketing agent, and I am not responsible for checking other dealerships quote for them. If they say their best quote is definitely over $100,000, and can't match the oral quotes I got from other dealerships, then how is it possible for them to match anyone else's quote by asking for more quotes?

The dealership knows that this is our first motorcoach purchase. Am I being punished because I am a newbie to motorcoach? Are first time purchaser charged a higher price and forced to do marketing research jobs before they can even obtain a price quote? I feel like they want me to be their "Price Spy" of other dealerships when they told me that I haven't called enough dealership. I had already given them some price quotes from other dealerships that were lower than their $100,000+

This is just not a dealership that I will ever do business with. Maybe others have had much better luck, but this is just a horrible experience for me. I just can't trust a dealership who treats me this way from the very beginning when the purchase isn't even paid yet.

In short, I have never been so mistreated as a customer in my life or even heard of anyone being so mistreated as a customer. The practice of needing a price quote from another dealership just sounds really wrong to me. A customer is paying based on the best market research he or she does for them??? And why would anyone go back to them after finding a great quote just so they would offer a $85 off and poor sales attitude.
Old 02-22-2011, 08:07 AM   #7
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Meowy, I think how you were treated is ridiculous for a company that's selling a product that's not a necessity. In this economy you'd think they would be doing everything possible to help out any potential customer. That being said, not sure of your location but you may want to start looking for RV Shows near you for pricing. I just went to the RV Show in Timonium MD and the Georgetown 378 that was $116,000 at the last show is now $104,995 but a 2011 instead of a 2010. It has full body paint. Have you looked at RVTrader.com? Plenty of RVs to price shop. Even Ebay-Motors has RVs. There may just be something that jumps out at you. Personally if it was me I'd call the little jerk back at RVDirect and give him a couple quotes of my own or someone elses and waste his time just when he thinks he's got a sale. I'd tell him I changed my mind!

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 10:18 AM   #8

Location: Canandaigua,New York (The heart of the Finger Lakes)
We received a good price quote from RVDirect, then I saked if they would install a Dish on it and install the vent covers for me (Disabled). They said they would get back to me..................never did. I called back, they said they're not sure because they were internet sales. They took my name and number again. I did tell them who I spoke too and ask to talk to them again, they werent in. I also told them they had my number etc.-- Well the botom line is..I never received an answer. Called RVWholesalers, Nice quote, installed everything we asked for suggested a few,with no pressure by the way!----Didnt go with RVdirect even though they were 30miles from my home. Saved alot of money still driving to Ohio to RVW to pick up our unit. I have heard of bad experiences at both dealerships, but alot more from RVDirect. I do know the dealership here in Buffalo(RVDirect) has had alot of complaints from the service dept. after the sale. My experience anyway !! Just go with the lowest price...if they treat you bad...there loss, not yours !!
BigRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 12:09 PM   #9

I just happen to be one that has to sell my 2007 georgetown SE 325
I've lowered the price to 69900 and not a nibble. it only has 7000 miles and has just about every option.It still smells new.I so dont understand dealers attitude when the market is the way it is.So Really look around you are sure to find what you are looking for in your price range.
toolmangj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 02:36 PM   #10

Used RVdirect as a tool to negotiate. Got a quote from RVD with everything we wanted and carried it to our local dealer. He matched RVD on the price of the base model and cleaned RVdirect's clock on prices for all the options we wanted. Example: dealer wanted almost $2000 less for the full paint. I bought local!
Kirby the Old Dog, passed but still in our hearts
Max E. Dog, the new pup
Eureka the Old Cat, still hangin' on
Lostdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 03:09 PM   #11

Folks -

I have never purchased a unit from RV Direct - but have worked with them on a quote for a Berkshire 390BH. I would tell you that they were respectful and gave me a price that was within $2k of my 3 best quotes. (If you still want to talk to RV Direct - I would highly recommend calling Tom Milholland (716) 652-4500 ext. 108).

I would also highly recommend Evan Shepard at Terrytown RV in Mi Mobile: 616.890.8397.

Both of the above gave me the best pricing - but also very good service.

Now - to your question about discounts varying between models...

What I noticed when I was looking was the best pricing they gave me were for the units on the lot. Not something that was going to be ordered. In fact at the time - they both had NON-DEF units. I was pushing for a DEF and got the feeling that they really wanted these units sold - before pushing a DEF unit.

It might be they had several of the base units available and none or few of the full paint - and that was the difference in discount.

I have no explaination for the other behaviour you endured.

Alex
amarzano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 08:27 PM   #12

Hi!

Thank you everyone for sharing your inputs and thoughts. I felt much comforted after everyone's input. I feel much better now, and especially after we've just signed our P&S agreement today!!!

Thanks for the advice on RV show, but we were looking for a lower number model than the Georgetown 378. We got a much lower and concrete price(not just a price range - and tens of thousands lower) with just one additional phone call. I don't know if it's the best price out there, but it certainly works for us! I am respected and treated like a human there. And NO, we didn't go back to RV direct's affliated dealership to have them match the quote and beat it by $85 dollar.

I was wondering if I was mistreated because they think I wasn't buying an expensive motorcoach. The manager said we have very good discount of 40% off MSRP on $500,000 rigs when I was complaining about their service...not about their price.

I did check Ebay motors before I returned the RV direct salesperson's call as suggested, and mentioned that I saw Terrytown RV and some RVs for sale on ebay motors.

The salesperson shouted in a very SCORNFUL attitude, "how can you compare me to Ebay model?" "How can you compare me with an ebay dealer...." "Ours are brand new...not just models on Ebay" I told the salesperson that the Ebay motors are also brand new and sold from authorized dealers. He just kept screaming.

When I complained about this incidence to the manager, the manager told me that they belong to the most prestigious and premier dealership who's been in the industry for 30 years and have great customer service. They are the largest dealership in the entire industry. It's different when I buy from a proprietary website, etc...since Ebay motors dealers are different and I don't get the same protection as if I were to buy from non-Ebay dealers?

I told him I would have appreciated if the salesperson explained to me why he thinks the units are different from Ebay the way the manager had. Although we might not agree on what's been said, at least I could see where the dealership is coming from. Or, I am fine if they simply say we are different from Ebay dealers without all the shouting and screaming.

Honestly, I don't think Terrytown RV is untrustworthy just because they listed on Ebay.com. They have been in the industry for 35 years as listed on their website - longer than the RV affliated dealership's 30 years!!! NO DEALERS HAVE EVER ASKED ME TO KEEP ON SHOPPING FOR PRICE QUOTES FROM ANOTHER DEALER AS HOMEWORKS BEFORE GIVING ME A PRICE QUOTE!

I called RV direct affliated dealership first on last Friday, was asked to shop for quotes and called back on Monday, then was mistreated on Monday and told to shop for 1 additional week because I only called 4 other dealers and this meant I didn't do ENOUGH SHOPPING.

In addition to their attitude of shouting and screaming, I really disagree with business practice of making customers shop for other dealer's best price before giving out a quote. If you haven't make the other dealers do their work and ask their managers for the best possible quote, then the RV affliated dealership will give you a high price tag.

If you made the other dealers do their work, ask their managers for the best possible quote, and told them that you are serious about purchasing from them, then the RV direct affliated dealership will match the price?

It's not fair to customers to have to keep bugging other dealerships for their best quotes before RV direct affliated dealership will give you a reasonable quote. The way the salesperson explains it to me was that if you don't do your "HOMEWORK", then the price is definitely in the $100,000's....It's just because you didn't do your HOMEWORK/SHOPPING.... If you did your HOMEWORK or "SHOPPED/WORKED HARD ENOUGH", then you can get a good price....

The idea of getting price quotes that are tens of thousands apart just because you didn't do your homework is scary. Why can't they just give out a more reasonable quote from the beginning.... I understand that many dealerships say that they will match others quote, or that they will not be undersold...but their price quotes are not bad from the very beginning........AND they do not ask the customers to actively search for other dealerships' best price before giving a price quote....
Old 02-22-2011, 08:51 PM   #13

So who did you end up signing the contract with?
amarzano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 02:58 PM   #14

We purchased 378(full body paint) from Lazy Days in Tampa. They were great to work with. After a great walk thru and inspection they will put you on a campsite overnight to make sure there are no problems, they also feed you breakfast and lunch onsite-check out their website www.lazydays.com
we2lovecamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 03:06 PM   #15

I assure you they will come off the prices advertised, they want to sell and since they sell such a high volume they can. I have never been so impressed with a dealership, we actually found a 378 closer to home but it was sold out from under us so I called Lazy Days and told them the situation at first they gave me a quote that was a little more than local dealer but came back and matched it, on top of that we had a fifth wheel to trade in and had sold our truck a few days prior and they drove from Tampa to Georgia(10 hours) and got our fifth wheel-no charge.
we2lovecamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 04:37 PM   #16
2011 Berkshire 390bh

I must admit that I am really shocked by this thread. I've dealt with RVDirect in their Buffalo showroom and found them to be extremely professional and cooperative and we got a deal that was thousands less than any other dealer including Terrytown and Lazydays. If either of you have the names of the people you dealt with and were mistreated by, I would be more than happy to forward them on to the owners of the company. I don't think that any of the three brothers that own the Company would tolerate customers being treated that way by any of their employees.
Old 02-23-2011, 05:17 PM   #17

One of my friends purchased a unit from Lazy Days and says he was very impressed and happy with their deal. Congrats my RV friend on your purchase.. may you have many happy miles of pleasure and many happy hours at the end of your travel day.. I am so looking forward to my first outing with our new Georegtown 360 come spring.
polkatronron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 03:17 AM   #18

Wow! We2lovecamping, I am surprised at your dealership's service!!! I didn't even know they have this type of service. I just expected to be treated normal.... The dealership that I bought from didn't tell me about overnight camping, but he did give me a good price after hearing my horror story... He comforted me and gave me a good price. He said not to tell others about it as it is their best price, so maybe I shouldn't get him into trouble.

But, if you are looking for a dealership to purchase a full body paint Georgetown with options, it's not hard to find one in the $80's range if you ask. I don't know about Georgetown 378 though because I didn't inquire about that one. (It might be higher priced since it is a higher model number.)

Wnytaxman, thanks for your reply and offering to complain for me! But, I didn't mention it was the salesperson at the Buffalo showroom.... Well, I am happy and content with my new purchase and feel much better knowing that there are other dealerships that offer good service, so I don't want to make them lose their jobs. Maybe the economy is just too bad, so they treated me like that because they really want to out-compete other competitor's price by asking me to survey for them in order to even give me a quote(not a quote range.)
Old 02-24-2011, 04:57 AM   #19

Also, now that we2lovecamping has mentioned about coming off the advertised price, I remember why I called RV direct showroom in the first place. I saw RV direct's video of Georgetown 350 on their website.

The person showing the vehicle, Marcus, mentioned several times throughout the video that you can get this Georgetown 350 RV(full color paint with fully loaded options, 2011 model) for $500-$600 per month.

I called one of their showrooms telling them that I saw this video for $500-$600 per month and asked what the terms are on this offer. The salesperson(who asked me to shop for quotes) told me that the terms are for 8.9%, 240 month payments, and 10% down. He wouldn't give me a direct quote but just ask me to shop around before coming back.

After using a financial calculator(I work in the financial field), I realized that the price for the Georgetown 350 would be around $73,920+ for a fully loaded model for their advertisement(I assumed using their upper end payment of $600.30 per month payment instead of $500 per month) That's why I still started asking for a few quotes before calling back to him although it's an extremely strange request to me, as he said that I must do my "homework."

So, I guess, the price range they gave me, "definitely above $100,000" is very different from the $73,920 that was shown in the video......I guess that's just how they advertise to get people to call them. They never intended to honor it.

This is the link to their video:
RV Direct - Nothing Beats Direct Pricing | Shop and Buy RV's Online
Old 02-24-2011, 07:23 PM   #20
2011 Berkshire 390bh

I forwarded the link to this thread to one of the owners of RV Direct. Let me just say that I'm sure that some corrective actions have been taken.