Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 04-18-2017, 06:21 PM   #41
Denver, CO

"companies website's FAQ section (free book)"

I don't see the link or the information.

On thing that I really agree with is that the marine industry, specifically the sailboat arena is where the real rubber meets the road, but even there lees than it used to twenty years age.

After sailing pretty extensively for the past 30 years, I was quite suprized at the lock of technology and understanding about 12 volt power in the RV market in comparison to sailing. My original bible was wiring (and living) on 12 volts with ample power by David Smead, and I had a boat sailboat outfitting with many of his groundbreaking components. The book are still pretty good but the battery technology has advanced since then. Nigel Calder is also a good source.

What you don't mention and that is of interest is the new area on LI battery use and technology. Intrigueing, but not yet tested enough for my use, but maybe pretty soon. Seem less tolerant of temperature extremes, at least, so that is a factor.

What is the mystery forum you speak of?
Old 04-18-2017, 06:45 PM   #42

I should add that I do prefer 6 volt deep cycle for two reasons.

First there are only two strings and the odds are better that the internal resistance of the two pairs is closer to the same.

Second is that battery cases need to contain the cells. A 6 volt battery has 3 while a 12 volt has 6. This means that in the same volume, the 12 volt battery wastes more space on 3 additional plastic cell separators while the 6 volt unit can invest in bigger cells with heavier electrodes and more electrolyte. Take a look and you will find that if you compare a 6 and a 12 volt unit of the same volume, the 6 volt unit weighs more. Lead is heavier than plastic and lead means capacity! If you compare the energy capacity in 6 and 12 volt models, the 6 packs more energy into the same volume by nearly 10%!

Now you can get closer with 12V units but you need to find a 12 V battery that has as much volume as two 6 volt units. Trojan has such a monster that contains 2.99 kwH and weighs in at massive 123 pounds. It has the same capacity as the 6 volt units per pound!

2015 335DS
Old 04-19-2017, 08:01 AM   #43

Some of the people on this forum...

I have to just shake my head at some of the people on this forum. 270s started a thread to get involved and help people using hard fast information he has learned in years of very special business. The first post was an introduction to the topic and some real world info he has gained. Was not an advertisement for his company, just links for us to gain more info. Then comes the jealous ones who can't 'do or know', so they degrade the original poster. What in the world does that do to help or enlighten??? It's unfortunate these kind of people have to do this.

Thank you 270s and I will be private messaging you for the deleted links so at least I can gain information that you originally shared.

2013:31 / 2014:51 / 2015:58 / 2016:37 / 2017:46
2018:16
Total 239
Old 04-19-2017, 08:05 AM   #44

x10

Already have PM'd him with a message of support and I totally agree with you. Hopefully he will continue to "try" to help others on the forum. He has done some extensive mods and clearly knows what he is doing.

2015 335DS
Old 04-19-2017, 08:42 AM   #45

Small Correction

That link is to items I can do in the RV community based on my extensive experience from the marine community - It was created long before I joined this forum. At the bottom are some items I am offering for sale as I have transitioned to an RV from a TT - Do not know (have not searched yet) if this forum has a dedicated For Sale Section.

The origin post was to the home page that has a drop down menu for FAQs. All the FAQs relate somehow, but not all are applicable to RVs & TTS because of some logistical reasons. It is was created as a free how to book for the marine and RV community. It eased my life as I would get the same questions over and over again on a daily basis. There was never any obligation of any sort intended or expressed. "Just the Facts Maam" as most can recall Sgt Friday say - LOL.
Old 04-19-2017, 08:46 AM   #46

Yes there is a classified section. Top banner, right under the Forest River logo.

Total 239
Old 04-19-2017, 08:55 AM   #47

Thanks for Support

Thanks to all that showed support. It did add a welcome factor to my morning after ----.

I can answer a few questions that have come up in some posts/PMs.

Most Lead Acid/AGM batteries have apx the same output for a given size/weight. It is a chemical/physical reaction. I won't bring up old Chemistry Days from HS, but if you recall the equations, ... moles is moles. For given atoms you get given atoms. The main difference is quality/reliability. The battery size (group #) is strictly a LxWxH so that people can easily recognize if it will fit and the standard capacity (AH) for that size. Starting with Group(GP) 27-100Ah, GP31-105, GP4-220 (@ 6Vdc), others build on that meaning GP6 same footprint, slightly Taller yields 300Ah, GP16 - 400 (that is what I have installed - Q4).

Question: Should I be removing the negative lead on my battery when hooked up to shore power? I have 2 disconnect switches that "remove" the positive lead in essence. Leave the negatives attached. They just connect the negative to the frame. 1 disconnect is the Factory disconnect that I also enabled disconnecting (bus bar post) the hot wired wires in the battery terminals from. The other one you can see in the pic (another post) f the batteries, Inverter,...

Question: Should I not use a battery maintainer when I get home and pull the battery? Leave the battery installed and just use the disconnect switch to turn everything off if properly wired.

On these issues, unfortunately, Manufacturers only respond to Lawsuits and unfortunately not properly - IMHO. For the idiot that does not know how to change a flat tire safely on a RV and gets hurt or Killed, their response is to remove spare tires and any way of attaching it - I manufactured my own. The airplane industry had a similar situation - A pilot took off, ran out of gas, crashed and unfortunately dies. His widow sued and won because the fuel gauge had no markings for the minimum amount neede3d before take off. Seriously folks, that is part of flight training 101.
Old 04-19-2017, 08:56 AM   #48

Thanks - sent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evereddie View Post
Yes there is a classified section. Top banner, right under the Forest River logo.
Thanks, you saved me time.
Boy, I m humbled too for missing it.
We all have days like that at times, that is why I use Checklist - OCD prevents errors.

BTW, the OCD in me says the signature should be 1, but most would only understand with a 10. 0 is the only option other than a single 1.
Old 04-19-2017, 09:25 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270S View Post
BTW, the OCD in me says the signature should be 1, but most would only understand with a 10. 0 is the only option other than a single 1.
My signature, here is the real story. In binary there is either a 1 or a 0. In other words: 1= yes, 0=no. So there is 1=those that know binary. 0=those that don't. 10 types of people in the world.

Total 239
Old 04-19-2017, 09:47 AM   #50

Bases

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evereddie View Post
My signature, here is the real story. In binary there is either a 1 or a 0. In other words: 1= yes, 0=no. So there is 1=those that know binary. 0=those that don't. 10 types of people in the world.
I got that. My OCD in binary 1st position is only 0 or 1. Can't show nothing and always show highest digit when describing base being used, hence my reasoning 1. As you own it, 10 is fine with me too.

I love deciphering base 16 (used in Photoshop & others for RGB colors) - adds A through F.
Old 04-19-2017, 01:48 PM   #51
Recently new!

Send a message via AIM to Paulie1138
Thanks 270S

Just started following and reading the thread. Maybe I missed something from this....I saw nothing of you advertising anything, just a great attempt of helping part the misty regions into.....ThE bAtTeRy ZoNe. For that, I thank you and all the posters on here who do try to help out the rest. We all have something to offer, and I for one, truly appreciate the time and wisdom it takes to put information on here.

With that, I will add....
everybody brings joy and happiness into a room.....
Some by entering....
and some by leaving...
LOL!

Again, Thanks for the information. For those who do not need this information, or do not like what they hear, please do not put the OP down. just move on to another thread....unless the OP has made a mistake or is wrong.
Loving wife, R.I.P., 6/6/19
and Mason the always dirty dog! R.I.P, 2/19
Old 04-19-2017, 03:25 PM   #52

Send a message via MSN to GreenImp
There are more defensive comments here then there were ever so called "complaints" or "put downs" against the OP. The majority of the "put downs" in this thread have come from the OP himself...in fact, they started before he even got his first reply. In the opening post he "puts down" internet forum users in general, manufacturers that relabel products, RV manufacturers, people that don't think an AC can be run on batteries, tailgaters with generators, and then before anybody has even read or replied to his post, he has called anybody who challenges his opinions (yes, that's what they are...more "internet opinions") a "complainer". He goes on to call them complainers several more times in his next few posts, and then those few who questioned his motivation (whether justifiably or not) were called "jealous ones who can't 'do or know'" by another member.

In my opinion, the community would have been much better served by the knowledge of the OP, if he had toned down his original post so that it didn't rub so many people the wrong way.

I apologize for posting without constructively contributing to the thread, but just couldn't leave the negative comments about those who questioned the OP's motivation alone.
Dad's old 1968 Empi Imp (recently recovered from under 21 years worth of boxes/dust)
Old 04-19-2017, 06:58 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBP View Post
What is a good brand of converter. I have a new coach and wet cell batteries. They are very difficult to check water level.
Install a battery watering system like the Flow-Rite. If checking is difficult, and on mine it was impossible, you won't check it. See it here.
(formerly 2016 Georgetown 378XLF
Amateur Radio KA5GIL vhf/uhfonboard
Old 04-19-2017, 10:41 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie1138 View Post
Just started following and reading the thread. Maybe I missed something from this....I saw nothing of you advertising anything, just a great attempt of helping part the misty regions into.
The forum mods removed the links. Someone re-posted the links. The forum mod removed it.

Total 239
Old 04-20-2017, 06:55 AM   #55

Sadly there are a few nit pickers and critics who jump on posters who are only trying to help. Lots of good stuff gets posted on here and most of us appreciate it. Old saying "if you can't say something nice, don't say nothing at all".
Old 04-20-2017, 07:18 AM   #56
Site Team

The site team is going to need and shut this one down and catch up to speed why there are members intentionally violating the site guidelines here.

Maybe we can clean it up and save it to reopen.

As per the guidelines:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ork&page=rules

Complaints about moderator decisions may not be made in posts; instead send a private message to a moderator. If a moderator deletes or edits one of your posts and you disagree with the action, contact the moderator concerned. Do not repost deleted material.

Site Management & Member Concerns: If we feel site rules are violated we may remove, edit or delete posts and if necessary ban or restrict account access. Abuse toward our administrators or moderators may result in suspension of your account. Complaints about a moderator's decision regarding a particular post are not to be made in posts; instead send a private message to a moderator. If a moderator deletes or edits one of your posts and you disagree with the action, contact the moderator concerned or any other member of our site team. Do not repost deleted material. This forum is largely self-policing, which means that moderators will respond and react to problems reported through the REPORT POST option, via the CONTACT FORM at the bottom of each page, or via PM. Do not hesitate to use these tools to report any problems regarding the forum.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
Closed Thread

Tags
battery, power