Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-24-2016, 10:00 PM   #1

Talking Recommendations for portable satellite dish

Hi everyone,

Considering buying a portable satellite dish. Does anyone have recommendations? I have Directv at home, so will be using a Directv receiver. Not sure if I'm going to get a SD or HD receiver, but thinking HD receiver.

I was initially going to get a satellite dish, the kind that go on your roof, but now I'm thinking of getting the fancier ones that look like a dome.

I've heard that the HD types require power, is that the same for domes as well? Will take any advice. Thanks everyone!
Lvnlife1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 08:39 AM   #2

I have Dish at home and I bought the King Tailgater which has a grey dome. I went with Dish because I could get HD. I think Direct TV only provides SD portability. I talked to a guy that had a tailgater and he was paying $14 a month for the receiver on his boat and had same service as home, which was with Direct TV but could only get SD.

I pay $7 a month for my receiver and get all the channels I get at home including HD. I like the portability of being able to move the tailgater around. It gets its power from the receiver through the coax cable.

It is easy to set up. You just turn on the receiver and a screen comes up where you select what state you are in and do a scan. It automatically finds the satellites and downloads the program guide and that is it.

I could have opted to use my receiver at home and not pay the additional $7 a month but it was a pain swapping from house to RV.
djeirlessr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 01:33 PM   #3
toolman_57

+1 on dish. I use the winegard X1 antenna but didn't permanently attach it to the roof. I have the tripod for it (never opened the box). I usually hook the cable from the X1 to the cable connector in the power compartment, climb the ladder and rest it on the roof at the best location for access to the southern sky. My receiver is in the bin above the sink behind the TV. I have the 211z receiver but am not that happy with it (infrared only). Also have a hard drive on the 211 for recording. Although you can add an over the air receiver to the 211, you won't be able to record shows from it (trust me on that). I've also added a 4 receiver tivo to the mix and upgraded to a much better roof antenna. Mama is very happy with not missing her shows. To get connected, I ran an extra cable from the bin over the passenger seat into the tv compartment--this way the OTA antenna and cable/dish line are both accessible. The other TVs only access the OTA signal (no TIVO) the way I have it configured (I can switch them to park cable but it isn't easy).
toolman_57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 03:20 PM   #4

I have the winegard portable dish for my directtv system.

ejw7213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 07:49 PM   #5

The only way to get HD on Directv is to have the 3 LNB portable dish or the one mounted on the roof.
You could go with the newer swim model or the older nonswim model.
Those portable dome dishes do not pick up HD Directv, only SD Directv.
Old 02-25-2016, 11:14 PM   #6

Thank you! Everyone has been so helpful. Looks like Dish might be the way to go. I have Directv at home now but maybe I need to think about switching to Dish at home too.
Old 02-26-2016, 07:00 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrapperman View Post
The only way to get HD on Directv is to have the 3 LNB portable dish or the one mounted on the roof.
You could go with the newer swim model or the older nonswim model.
Those portable dome dishes do not pick up HD Directv, only SD Directv.
Is it complicated to set up the portable 3LNB dish? I looked into it and almost went for it but I think you need to have some sort of power supplied to the dish as well?
Old 02-26-2016, 07:28 AM   #8
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lvnlife1973 View Post
Is it complicated to set up the portable 3LNB dish? I looked into it and almost went for it but I think you need to have some sort of power supplied to the dish as well?
Not at all complicated once the initial dish adjustments are made.
It typically takes me 10-15 minutes from dish set up to watching tv. Most times less.

The dish (actually the LNB's on the dish arm) will be powered through the coax by the receiver.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=86
5picker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 01:11 PM   #9

Check out www.delsand.com. I have used it for three years and love it.
Old 02-26-2016, 01:43 PM   #10
Happily Retired Member

I have the Wineguard x2. I plug in the coax cable to my receiver and it automatically searches for and finds the satellites. It can use Eastern arc or Western arc satellites. Just make sure your receiver is the correct model that will power up the dish. Several models will work. I can also go pay as you go so a Dish contract is not required. Very happy with it.

2013 Ford Escape on Landgrebe tow dolly
Mickeystamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 01:55 PM   #11

I have direct TV and I use the king tailgater. I was using the winguard carry out anser but they were pretty much junk.
redcloud1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 02:42 PM   #12

For the Dish pay as you go....isn't it a monthly fee?
Old 02-26-2016, 03:23 PM   #13

Direct tv

Bought a Winguard 2 for my rv had direct tv people come out to my rv and he said it would not work with my Winguard so I had to send it back even when the sales person at Winguard said it would work.
Rkluge777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 04:40 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmund View Post
Check out www.delsand.com. I have used it for three years and love it.
Linky no worky
DadOfTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 05:14 PM   #15

Delsand stand

Delsand PDQ Signal Stand Review
LI Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 05:32 PM   #16

We have DirecTV at home and used a DVR from the house for a couple of years until we finally set up a separate account for the RV so we can get DNS (Distant Network Service) and have the national networks anywhere in the country.

The simplest solution for an antenna is to go through the settings on your box and see which type of antenna you have. Buy the same antenna for the RV, with a 3' mast and tripod and you'll be set to go. The only accessories you'll need to set up the antenna are a wrench, three 10" steel tent stakes and a hammer to drive them in, a decent compass ($5-7), and a level.

Your satellite box has a routine where you tell it your location via zip code or gps and it will tell you how to point the antenna. Follow the instructions then use the box's signal meter to fine tune the antenna position. That's easiest to do with a partner to watch the signal meter while you adjust the antenna. We use 2-way radios to communicate when doing this and is only takes a few minutes to align the antenna. You can also download a free Android phone app, Satellite Director, which will do the same thing as the information from the box and the compass. The satellite box's instructions are easier to use than the android app though.

Phil
pmsherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 06:53 PM   #17
Retired Techie

Also X2 by the month Dish. good seal
2013 Keystone Springdale 5r Sold
1998 Honda Valkerie Sld
2016 Camping 148 days so far Bought park model and moved to Florida.
moligney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 08:11 PM   #18
CDR USN Ret

Winegard Carryout G2, feeding two 211Z receivers, Dish pay-as-you go.
Ran 3GHZ Quad shield COAX cable direct from each receiver location to two coax connections in basement. Works very well, but did not work with original coax set-up.

Satellite signal does not like standard (non-3GHZ) cable, and will not pass through older, cheaper, and manufacturer installed splitters. RV was originally fitted with a single 3GHZ cable from basement to living room outlet. I added the second line from basement to bedroom for second receiver.

I think (have not tried it, yet) that you could use a 5GHZ two-way power pass splitter in the satellite signal coax. I believe you only need two-way power pass splitter in the cable that connects the master receiver to the antenna. Would be interested in knowing if anyone has tried this.
DSQR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 08:55 PM   #19

I have a DISH 3 LNB dish. Mounted on a tripod I got on Amazon. Bought a cheap camera tripod and used legs on dish tripod. Now I can use camera legs to level and raise dish as needed. Cut set up time in half.
ccsvolsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 10:40 PM   #20

Just talked to Directv yesterday. I explained I wanted directv in my camper. The sales guy told me everything I needed, and even shipped me the receiver I would need for free. I went with the SD, because its cheaper for the satellite (King Quest). The extra receiver will cost me an additional $7/month, but I can deactivate the service as needed. So no paying during the winter.

2015 Coachmen Apex 288BHS
2014 Toyota Tundra 5.7L CrewMax

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

Tags
satellite