RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 01-21-2021, 04:42 PM   #1

Replacement left right and rear CAMERAS

I was wondering if anyone has replaced the cameras in their RV.
My rear one is getting a little foggy as well as the left side.

Can you let me know what kind you used and what is needed

Thanks in advance
Mike

2020 Jeep Gladiator Sting Grey
seasure1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 04:54 PM   #2

I replaced mine that were 3 years old. They were beginning to fog up and the lens were starting to crack.
I contacted the original manufacturer, Mito industries, they aren't cheap. 80 bucks a piece. You should be able to find one on Amazon or eBay.
If you buy an off brand remember, you may have to buy a reversed image camera. Now for the connector, that is a different issue but you could save a lot of money if you change out the connectors.
The back up camera is easier to find one too replace.
Old 01-21-2021, 10:16 PM   #3

I disconnected my Left and Right behind the console. The rear is on all the time. I never used the L&R, I prefer to use the mirrors.
Hampton Roads VA
2016 174 Days camping, 2017 66 days 2018 24 days 2019 48 days
mogman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 03:26 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrapperman View Post
I replaced mine that were 3 years old. They were beginning to fog up and the lens were starting to crack.
I think what might be fogging over and cracking is the plastic inserts in front of the lens and not the lens itself. The lens is a very thick glass fisheye lens behind the plastic inserts.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 08:32 AM   #5

Your right. I should have been more descriptive.
I tried to polish mine but they didn't last but a couple of months.
The plastic piece must be soft plastic.
The new ones have lasted for 5 years and are still clear.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
I think what might be fogging over and cracking is the plastic inserts in front of the lens and not the lens itself. The lens is a very thick glass fisheye lens behind the plastic inserts.
Old 01-22-2021, 11:27 AM   #6

i went to the website and found what look to be the original cameras.
They have a cable and a large connector on them. Did you replace the entire cable or just splice in the wires. It looks like the original wire is thin and no place for the large 4 pin connector to enter the RV?

Thanks in advance

Old 01-22-2021, 12:03 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by seasure1 View Post
They have a cable and a large connector on them. Did you replace the entire cable or just splice in the wires. It looks like the original wire is thin and no place for the large 4 pin connector to enter the RV?

Thanks in advance
Don't know if your unit is the same but in my GT378 the side view camera harnesses mate with a production break interconnect harness with mating connector that enters the coach. If you follow the camera cable you should find where they meet under the hood.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 03:15 PM   #8

The original Clarion monitor was shot when we got our 2014 GT XL, and rather than use the wired system, we switched to a ZeroXclub SW01 wireless from Amazon. It comes with it's own 7" monitor which can be split into three panels, and you can choose which you want running. My experience so far is that it earned it's 5 star rating. If you want the side cameras, order them with the backup system, as they are not available individually.
Old 01-22-2021, 04:45 PM   #9

I had the same problem with my side cameras. I took them apart and cleaned them (the cover snaps off and it's easy from there) taking special care with the lenses. For some reason the camera housing lenses are open to the weather so they get dirty and fog easily. They worked well after that but I tracked down an ebay source for glass lenses in case I ever have to replace them. This is the address: https://www.ebay.com/itm/ROUND-3-5MM...EAAOSwdcNc-BpB
Old 01-22-2021, 07:24 PM   #10

My replacements were the exact ones, just unplug/ plugin. The connectors were the same as well. Like Bubbles said, if you follow the cables you will find the connector before it goes into the cab.
Quote:
Originally Posted by seasure1 View Post

Thanks in advance
Old 01-23-2021, 03:34 PM   #11

i appreciate all the information. For people that replaced the rear camera, where do I access those cables?

The cable looks like it just disappears into the back of the RV?

Thanks in advance for all the assistance. Leaving next Saturday for a month stay in Florida

Tags
camera, replacement