Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-31-2020, 12:58 PM   #1

Roof Replacement Video

Very interesting look at our roofing system and why we have so many leaks
Please see the link below
Kind of disheartening

gronotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 04:32 PM   #2
NXR

Did they replace a fiberglass roof with a rubber-ish roof? Or do the older Georgetown's have rubber roofs?

I do not like how the water lays on that awning rail at all. I was thinking about notching it in a few places to let the water drain off anyways.

I try to stay a bit front-high anyway to facilitate water run-off and while it mostly works the water from the air conditioners does lay against and in that awning rail, surrounding those glopped-over screws.

I'm going to need to pull my air conditioner covers off and see how they're sealed to the roof.

I'm not sure if I'm happy or sad he mentioned the other RV manufacturers he's seen with the same problem and even on a 2019 model from someone else...

I wonder what all of that work cost.

Ray
Old 03-31-2020, 05:26 PM   #3

Very eye opening video. I can see us needing something like this down the road on ours. I might wanna ask them how much this would cost on our TT. Thanks for posting. I like the quality of their work. I'm sending them an email to inquire about a rough estimate of a roof replacement on ours. I realize that prices will probably go up once we need one, but, a ballpark idea isn't a bad thing to know.
Old 03-31-2020, 05:42 PM   #4

What's even more disturbing....
Old 03-31-2020, 05:55 PM   #5

Yes they did replace the fiberglass roof with the rubber type of product that they use which was 60ml thick.
Looks like a very nice product
Old 03-31-2020, 05:58 PM   #6

I believe the cost was in the 10K range depending on inside ceiling variables etc.
Old 03-31-2020, 06:38 PM   #7
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by gronotte View Post
Yes they did replace the fiberglass roof with the rubber type of product that they use which was 60ml thick.
Looks like a very nice product
I used to work for a company that made commercial roofing products and I recognized the high-quality workmanship they did. It definitely is an intriguing idea.

I know the fiberglass panels and roof on ours is vacuum-bonded. I wonder if the older ones are that way. Either way, that video gave me some ideas of where to look closer once it warms up around here.

I think Forest River now uses Pro Flex RV Seal instead of Dicor, though. I may email them to ask even though I don't know if it's better or worse.

Ray
Old 03-31-2020, 07:42 PM   #8

Got a rough estimate of $5,000 to do the roof on our 187RB.
Old 03-31-2020, 07:43 PM   #9

If they did change sealant, that'll put me a little more at ease. Otherwise, I might be peeling off all the crap on the roof and replacing it with (edited) Novalink 35.
Old 03-31-2020, 08:15 PM   #10

Novalink 35 is the recommended sealant by these guys. Need to prime the roof before using this stuff. This might be a just-out-of-warranty thing for me to do. Bestmaterials.com has it for $5.65 a tube.
Old 04-01-2020, 10:28 AM   #11

Makes me sick to see that. Fortunately our MH was kept covered when we bought it and is kept in indoor storage currently!

Better to have a bad day of camping than a good day at work!
Dodge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 11:23 AM   #12
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge Guy View Post
Makes me sick to see that. Fortunately our MH was kept covered when we bought it and is kept in indoor storage currently!
They've got a couple of Georgetown videos on their YouTube channel. I'm pretty sure you're doing a much better job of roof maintenance than those owners were. One of the inside ceilings had yellow spots on it and was otherwise a mess.

The mounting of those awning rails is a real WTH?, though, even on mine. They remind me of my shower sliding door tracks. The tracks have oval drain slots but they do not go to the bottom of the track nor was there a drain slot at each end.

We were getting standing water in the tracks so I took a flat file and filed the slots down about 1/8" and drilled another drain hole in one end. No more standing water and the tracks stay a lot cleaner now.

Pay me now or pay me more later.

Ray
Old 04-04-2020, 03:32 PM   #13

To be fair....let's come back to the new roof in 8 years after it has had very little to no maintenance. Compare apples to apples.....Dicor is on millions of RV's....are all of the roofs failing?
Old 04-04-2020, 03:45 PM   #14
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclinton View Post
To be fair....let's come back to the new roof in 8 years after it has had very little to no maintenance. Compare apples to apples.....Dicor is on millions of RV's....are all of the roofs failing?
A couple of decades ago I used to run a distribution warehouse for a large commercial company, a subsidiary of the company I worked for. EPDM roofs, which we bought from a major tire company and rebranded, had the most warranty claims while the TPO roofs we manufactured on our own had very little problems when properly installed and pressure-washed each year . No maintenance as the ones in the video looked like meant discoloration and a lot of problems. Just keeping them cleaned and inspected made them almost trouble-free.

I think the major benefit from those folks is how they changed things to lift them above the roof and to permit greater water run-off.

The way those awning rails are mounted feels like negligence to me. Nobody builds a roof and allows water to pool on it.

Ray
Old 04-05-2020, 07:25 AM   #15

NXR, I did see the other Georgetown videos. Yes, they look very undermaintained. Im sure the oil changes are probably just as neglected! Makes you wonder if they are still running on 8 year old tires?

Better to have a bad day of camping than a good day at work!
Dodge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 07:46 AM   #16

I am proud that I had the RV Flex Armor roof installed on my Cedar Creek, it will last longer than I will with no Maintenance
Amateur Radio W5CI 2019 Days Camping 25
2020 Days Camping 7
W5CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 08:23 AM   #17
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
A couple of decades ago I used to run a distribution warehouse for a large commercial company, a subsidiary of the company I worked for.
That line should read "for a large commercial roofing company". We did roofs all over the world including stadiums and many Walmarts.

One stadium project was a white TPO roof. It went great until four years of neglect caused it to look dingy, streaked and grow stuff on it. And that's when the owners read the contract about how they were supposed to wash the roof. The said they thought rain would keep it clean. The lawyers made out on that one, again.

I actually need to have my house roof cleaned. A new roof was put on about four years ago and it's starting to get dark in spots from the trees growing over it.

It never ends...

Ray
Old 04-14-2020, 09:10 AM   #18

The dicor sealant seems like more of an issue than the roof. I'm going to use it while ours is still under warranty, but after that, I'm going to swith to something that will last the lifetime of the roof.

Speaking of cleaning, what does everyone use to clean under a solar panel? It's about 1" off the roof, wanna make sure the TPO under that stays clean.
Old 04-14-2020, 12:13 PM   #19
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
The dicor sealant seems like more of an issue than the roof. I'm going to use it while ours is still under warranty, but after that, I'm going to swith to something that will last the lifetime of the roof.
I read that person's comments as that improper preparation of the surfaces before applying Dicor was the real issue, his otherwise negative and unsubstantiated comments aside. He's a sample size of one and that makes for poor statistics.

I'd think that if Dicor really was so inherently poor, some enterprising RV-owning attorney would already have taken them to task.

Ray
Old 04-14-2020, 01:07 PM   #20

It looks like they do a great job!
Never Enough Time Camping!!
ben31 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
replacement, roo, roof