Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-08-2015, 10:03 PM   #1

Roof Warranty??

OK, so I finally washed the Georgetown. I climbed on the roof and got that pit of your stomach sick feeling.... I looked this unit over but did not go on the roof......

The driver side front fiberglass roof has several ribs in it where it bends. On some of the top portions of the ribs the fiberglass is cracking...

Has anyone seen this....

I've already contacted the warranty department.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3005.jpg
Views:	593
Size:	122.5 KB
ID:	85200

Name:	IMG_3006.jpg
Views:	547
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	85201

Name:	IMG_3009.jpg
Views:	564
Size:	139.8 KB
ID:	85202

Mr. G
MrGrmpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 06:07 AM   #2

I have the same thing front and back, bubbling, I was told water gets underneath and losses the adhesive an then separates, that's where I had a leak, there was a small crack hard too see in back and front where the caps are. Cost me 2000.00 to fix out of warranty and fr wouldn't cover nothing. Not happy
daddio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 06:08 AM   #3

Mine are bubbles not bends, that's really strange,
daddio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 03:31 PM   #4

I owned three RVs with rubber roofs and never had a single leak. My 2012 Georgetown fiberglass roof had leaks, unsealed gaps and small cracks from day one. Poor quality installation. There have been so many complaints on here its obviously a serious quality issue.
BillMFl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 02:48 PM   #5

Ok does anyone's roof look like this on the edge? I took it into an RV shop, the Forest River dealer was booked 8 months out for roof repair so advised me to go there. They told me this was a normal occurrence that it needs to be monitored for leaks & documented at FR it case it gets worse. The RV shop ( name with held to protect the innocent) seems reputable..... In the back lot for repair were several other FR MH along with Some Tiffins.

Mr. F
Old 08-14-2015, 04:02 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGrmpy View Post
Ok does anyone's roof look like this on the edge? I took it into an RV shop, the Forest River dealer was booked 8 months out for roof repair so advised me to go there. They told me this was a normal occurrence that it needs to be monitored for leaks & documented at FR it case it gets worse. The RV shop ( name with held to protect the innocent) seems reputable..... In the back lot for repair were several other FR MH along with Some Tiffins.

Mr. F
MrGrmpy:
I just discovered mine today. It looks just like your third photo. A warp in the fiberglass cap on the round of the edge, at the front, drivers side.. I am going to let the warranty dept. know on Monday morning. I have a 2015 GT 364 ts. I just picked it up on April 11, 2015. This is a manufactures defect for sure that in time will crack and leak. I also believe that the caulking between the front cap and the fiberglass roof looks jagged like a stress mark.
I already have a warranty issue with the rear ladder. The supports from the ladder to the cap has no backer board. The screws pulled right out the first time in went up the ladder. There wasn't any wood on the screw threads at all. Must have been fastened to the fiberglass only. I am having a heck of a time getting approval from FR to repair. I can't wait to see what they say about this problem.
Keep in contact on this issue. Roger (
Roger2650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 06:10 PM   #7

Glad you found it sooner rather than later. Keep us posted & good luck!

Mr. G
Old 08-14-2015, 10:31 PM   #8

Just a guess, but do you think thermal expansion is taking place on the brown painted parts and not on the white? If its heating up every day and cooling at night the caulk is moving all the time and will eventually fail. Just my 2c.
Hampton Roads VA
2016 174 Days camping, 2017 66 days 2018 24 days 2019 48 days 2020 25 days 2021 6
mogman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 01:39 PM   #9

I have the same, just not as bad just a couple of wrinkles. FR said it was normal? I don't think it is but what else can I do.

Denis, Forest river Georgetown XL 377 towing a 2014 Ford Explorer.
tilap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 02:01 PM   #10

Tilap:
It is not normal. That warp will expand and contract to the point that it will crack. That will be a hair line crack and leak. It is a manufacturers defect. mogman could be right with the thermal expansion, but that tells me that the fit between the two is too tight and needs to be addressed. I will let you know what FR tells me when I get the e-mail back next week. Later Roger
Old 08-15-2015, 06:38 PM   #11

Roger please do can't wait to see if you will get the same answer. My warranty expires tomorrow as a side note

Denis, Forest river Georgetown XL 377 towing a 2014 Ford Explorer.
Old 08-18-2015, 08:48 PM   #12

Yes keep us posted, I emailed FR the dealer response last week & left a voice mail with no response yet...

Mr. G
Old 08-18-2015, 09:15 PM   #13

Mr G
I E-mailed on Mon. and Bryan wanted pic's sent to him. I will keep you posted. Roger
Old 08-19-2015, 01:36 PM   #14
eyc

I had the same issue on my 2009. The wrinkles will eventually crack and leak. I had to have the roof completely replaced by FR.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
eyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 02:34 PM   #15

I have pretty much exactly the same problem as you do. Except some of the ripples are sharp creases and look like at least paint is cracking this is on 2015 Georgetown 280DS, just picked up on MY 9, 2015. Had a cast boot on when picked up so did not climb up on roof and then there they were along with bubbles here and there that come and go with heat. Took to dealer and told bubbles were ok. They put more sealant on the roof edges on all 4 sides where sealant had pulled away and said they were checking with FR to see what to do about ripples and creases. I am fairly certain that over time with the contraction and expansion the sharp creases will crack. Waiting for response from dealer. Really worries me that so many post indicate this problem
cev1001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 02:47 PM   #16

I heard back today from FR, said to monitor closely but will need to be repaired if it gets worse. My thoughts are with a MH less than a week old...it'll get worse.

Mine has very small cracks where the ripples come up. I took lots of pictures and then sealed everything.

Document, document, document is all I can say.... I hope this works out in the end...

Mr. G
Old 08-19-2015, 07:53 PM   #17

eyc, I thought the roof cap would crack over time. Did you get yours paid for by FR. I am taking pictures to send to FR tomorrow. Bryan from FR requested them. I have seen that type of material consistency crack before. It may take a couple of years, but I know roof replacement can't be cheap. I'm staying on top of this situation. I will keep everyone posted.
Old 08-19-2015, 07:57 PM   #18

MrGrumpy, what did you seal it with? Mine is on the edge above the drivers side. It is a dark brown there, so I'm sure it will look weird. I just don't need this problem on a new coach.
Old 08-20-2015, 04:56 PM   #19

Fr denies repair

Just got a call from the Dealer. FR says it doe not need to be repaired. Don't know what else to do than just document and watch it.
cev1001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 05:57 PM   #20

Cev1001 I got the same answer from my dealer FR said it rarely develop into trouble. Asked my dealer to ask them the question by email since
He asked them by phone and forward the answer back to me and he did. So at least I got a record that it was reported before end of warranty. Cross my fingers

Tags
roo, roof, warranty