Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-12-2011, 10:56 PM   #1

Round Louvered vents in ceiling

Camping mates, I have several round, white louvered vents in the ceiling of my 2005, Georgetown 375. I have almost nothing coming out of them when I have the A/C on, most if not all of the cold air is escaping from the vents on the A/C units themselves.
When I have the heat on, likewise there isn't anything coming out of the vents either. Since this past weekend was the first time I needed to use the A/C, I haven't had any exptectations of what would come from the vents. (and yes, I did open them!!!)

Thought you smart RVrs could help me out.

Ron
Rongrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 11:05 PM   #2
Site Team - Lou

Are the Air Handler "dumps" open? In most floor plans you have to choose between the "fast cool down" from the "dumps" or a more distributed air flow from the vents.

If your dumps are closed and you still have poor air flow, you will need to check the ducts for a blockage.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 11:11 PM   #3

Where would you find that option

Would this be inside the A/C unit itself? Not really sure I have ever dealt with this sore of thing before.
Thanks for your reply though
Ron
Old 07-12-2011, 11:17 PM   #4
Site Team - Lou

Not sure if I have a photo of the air handler with the cover ON!

But there are slide doors on the air handler (the place where the filter is located on the ceiling). Those doors are "dumps" for rapid cooling of the living area. They divert all air flow from the entire camper to the area directly below the air conditioner.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 11:35 PM   #5

On my it's a set of louvers on the inside cover of the AC unit itself. Right next to the filter. There's a little slider. If you push the slider one way lots of air comes out right there. Push the slider the other way and it blocks the air dump. Forcing the air to go to the vents.

I only have one AC unit. When it's running and the air dump is closed you can tell air is coming out of the round vents but not a lot comes out. Still it cools things off pretty well.
Old 07-12-2011, 11:37 PM   #6

Thanks everyone

I will try this in the morning.

Ron
Old 07-13-2011, 12:49 AM   #7

As stated, you have to have the vent on the ac unit itself closed to develop enough pressure to divert air down the vents in the ceiling. Its an alternate path for airflow that allows quick localized cooling. To really feel it out the ceiling vents you need both ACs going since the outlet surface area is so large and they are connected.
2009 Ford Edge AWD Ltd towed
2011 Honda Fit Sport towed
ronhanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 01:10 AM   #8

"When I have the heat on, likewise there isn't anything coming out of the vents either."

I didn't think the airco acted as a heat pump, (like the ones we have at home), we use the furnace for heat or am I missing something?

2011 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8280ws 2011 Dodge Ram 3500 4x4 Diesel 2000 Honda S2000
Nigels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 01:14 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigels View Post
"When I have the heat on, likewise there isn't anything coming out of the vents either."

I didn't think the airco acted as a heat pump, (like the ones we have at home), we use the furnace for heat or am I missing something?
I believe the heat just comes from your furnace throught your floor vents.
2009 Weimaraner "Dog"
onequicksportster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 07:55 AM   #10

I also have the ducted AC on our new 21SS. You simply close the 3 vents on the AC unit and the air gets directed out to the other vents. Works great and much quieter in that mode. You can also spin the smaller vents to direct the cold air where its needed more..
Hybrid21SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 06:30 AM   #11
CLASS "A" Senior Member

As stated earlier use both AC units. During very hot & humid days set your fan switch to HI on each t-stat for the maximum air flow. We generally leave the bedroom t-stat fan switch set to ON but Low at night time just for air movement. The AC stills cycles on and off as needed. As for the Heat side, unless you had Strip Heaters added to your AC Units there will be no Heat coming out of the ceiling registers. Your T-stat would have a setting where you place the switch to Strip Heat.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 05:54 PM   #12

I have the same low flow problems through the vents on my '08 373...

Had it in the shop two days ago and they say threes nothing wrong, but you can noticeably feel much more pressure and volume of air coming out of the vents from the rear air than then front.

The front ac can not keep up with the heat of the day and only gets comfortable at night. If we open the bypass slider and stand directly under the unit in the ac flow we can get cool. Once we move away, forget it. It's sweat city again.

The tech said he ran a fish tape through the vents and found nothing blocking them. I was thinking of using a fish tape to go down the duct,then tie a shop rag on and pull int back through the duct and see if that catches any blockage.

Don't know what else to do. Any suggestions?

I hope the new tinting on the windows will help too!
rxfiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 06:18 PM   #13

rxfiller - Be interested if you find anything that makes it better and how the tint works as my 07 373 has the same issues. IMHO the two 13,500 units are just not enough cooling power for when the heat gets up. Shades some help looking into window screening for the windshield. Good Luck,
Old 07-28-2011, 08:32 PM   #14

I know what you mean all too well!

Also, the compartments by the ceiling in the front over the windshield and above the passenger side couch get so hot that it melted the plastic cased computer router I put in there!

FR really should have found a better way to protect these areas from heat. (just my 2 cents... )
Old 07-28-2011, 08:37 PM   #15

And what really gets my goat is that when we first got the coach the ac seemed to work fine. I had it out for two weekend excursions and a week long 2400mi trip. The weekends were both here in the Florida heat, and it seemed to cool fine.

When I was getting ready for a cross country trip to Sturgis last year I took the coach in for some work. I figured I'd get the ac units serviced while it was in the shop. It was after that service and on the long cross country trip that the problem first surfaced.

I guess it's true. Don't fix it if it aint broke?

I'd still love any ideas someone may have.....
Old 07-28-2011, 09:11 PM   #16
Anacortesians

Does anyone know if the bedroom thermostat runs the bedroom a/c independently of the living room unit when you're on the generator and have both a/cs running?
Old 07-29-2011, 08:48 AM   #17

They run independent on mine. It is also a 50 amp unit so it has no front /rear switch or anything like that also.