Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-18-2020, 06:39 AM   #1

Rustproofing ?

Our 378 has never seen a winter since we've managed to get into warmer parts of US from Canada before it started. This year is likely going to be different so I'm wondering if I should invest in getting our 378 rustproofed if we're able to go this year.
Has anyone any thoughts or have they any experience with having their unit done?
Nomore9-5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 07:41 AM   #2

My last 3 rv's have been coated each fall, even when stored in Brunswick Georgia or Myrtle Beach. I spray 4-5 cans of Rust Check green on the frame, stairs etc and so far everything looks ok. This year the Georgetown is being stored indoors in a large hangar till next spring.
Old 09-18-2020, 07:50 AM   #3

rust proofing

Nomore
Here is what I use. Buy it at TSC when on sale .
Attached Images

Old 09-22-2020, 03:32 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69BBC View Post

Nomore
Here is what I use. Buy it at TSC when on sale .

Thanks went out and bought a couple of them today .
Old 09-22-2020, 03:40 PM   #5
Kanadian Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomore9-5 View Post
Our 378 has never seen a winter since we've managed to get into warmer parts of US from Canada before it started. This year is likely going to be different so I'm wondering if I should invest in getting our 378 rustproofed if we're able to go this year.
Has anyone any thoughts or have they any experience with having their unit done?
I just recently sold our 2010 Georgetown, and it was never rustproofed. That said, we did travel South most of its life, however, when we stayed home for whatever reason, it just stayed parked on our property. If you don’t drive it in the winter, why bother? I had no problems.

YMMV

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 04:13 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post
I just recently sold our 2010 Georgetown, and it was never rustproofed. That said, we did travel South most of its life, however, when we stayed home for whatever reason, it just stayed parked on our property. If you don’t drive it in the winter, why bother? I had no problems.

YMMV

My concern about rustproofing comes from the possibility ( however slim ) that by January the border opens and we're able to escape winter in the US . That would mean driving over roads that have been treated for snow etc . Looking for something to mitigate rust that might start from that although I'm planning on rinsing the undercarrige once we get there as well
Old 09-22-2020, 06:54 PM   #7
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomore9-5 View Post
My concern about rustproofing comes from the possibility ( however slim ) that by January the border opens and we're able to escape winter in the US . That would mean driving over roads that have been treated for snow etc . Looking for something to mitigate rust that might start from that although I'm planning on rinsing the undercarrige once we get there as well
Many people just seem to buy a rotary sprinkler head and put it under the motorhome to give it a good spraying and rinsing.

Ray
Old 09-22-2020, 07:15 PM   #8

I once drove after a snow storm from Cincinnati to FL. Although there was no snow south of TN on I-75 when I got to FL 2 days later, I was amazed at how much new rust was on the hitch from basically driving on the salted interstate hiway for only about 5 hours. Only non-painted surfaces on the hitch were rusted, but I went out, bought a wire brush and some spray paint.

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 07:31 AM   #9

Rust Prevention and Metal Restoration

I live in Northern Maine next to the Canadian border where they treat roads with salt and calcium during winter months. It’s very harsh for metal surfaces and moving parts. I have used Fluid Film and have had some remarkable results. Here is the link for you to read more about the produce. https://www.fluid-film.com/
Grdumond is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roo, roof