Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-13-2020, 07:09 PM   #1

Sanitizing fresh water tank

How/where do I add the bleach? What is the capacity of my 374ts tank?
michiganian7412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 07:35 PM   #2

I use a funnel and pour my bleach into the hose - not sure about the capacity of your tank.
Old 07-13-2020, 09:15 PM   #3

I found a spec pamphlet. 80 gallons on my rig. I removed the filter and dumped bleach into the filter housing. The fill valve has a backflow valve, not allowing me to insert a funnel. I did not have adequate pressure from the faucets. Perhaps I have clogged lines?
Old 07-13-2020, 09:41 PM   #4

Using the onboard filter housing will not get the bleach solution into your holding tank. What mwdllday said is pour the bleach in the hose that connects to the tank fill port and hook it to a faucet and apply water to fill the tank. The bleach will enter the tank. You may have to do this a few times depending on tank size verses bleach dilution ratio.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 09:41 PM   #5

I have been using an R V for going on 30 years and have only put beach in the tank once. I'll never do it again as long as I use city water, others may disagree. The only issue I had was when I was using well water and let it stand in the pipes and the hot water tank. Got that sewer spell. I always carry a little water in the the tank in case of a breakdown, so at the end of any trip I drain the hot water tank and run some water through the lines if the water is questionable. I find it's hard to flush the beach out of the system so to me it's not worth the trouble.
Sunseeker16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 09:47 PM   #6

I don't use bleach either, I use this from Wally world.
Attached Images

Old 07-13-2020, 09:51 PM   #7

You can't believe the spec sheets on the unit. My freshwater tank holds far less the the specs. Use one of these to measure the volume of your tank. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Pour the appropriate amount of bleach into the hose prior to filling next time to disenfect. Some folks use an inline water filter, pour the bleach in there, and then fill the tank.
flyflotrtim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 08:17 AM   #8

Thanks bubbles. Dah! on my part. Atleast I've sanitized the lines. It's the backflow valve that prevents me from feeding the tank. Dang it! Now I have to figure out how to empty the tank.
Old 07-14-2020, 08:26 AM   #9

flyflotrtim, Those accessories look cool! I'll rely on the manufacturer's data on this one. I'm not an engineer but I know what would work. Any inventors in the audience? I need an in-line container that would hold the solution. One that would hook to the RV fill spigot then to the hose. In a perfect world that would push the solution into the tank.
Old 07-14-2020, 08:33 AM   #10
Brake is on left

Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganian7412 View Post
flyflotrtim, Those accessories look cool! I'll rely on the manufacturer's data on this one. I'm not an engineer but I know what would work. Any inventors in the audience? I need an in-line container that would hold the solution. One that would hook to the RV fill spigot then to the hose. In a perfect world that would push the solution into the tank.
Your TT has an actual hose connection to fill the tank? Usually that is the city water connection. The tank is a larger opening you just stick a hose in. Like said above, use a funnel to add bleach to the hose before you attach it to the hose bib. That will push the bleach in along with the water.
The Evil Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 08:44 AM   #11

Quote:
Now I have to figure out how to empty the tank.
Open the tank drain tube under your rig.
Old 07-14-2020, 08:49 AM   #12
NXR

Consider downloading an app named RV Checklist from Adventure Treks LLC to your phone. I know it's available for Android but do not know about iPhones.

Save the file I attached to Internal Storage in the Download folder. Then tap the gear in the upper right of the app and use the Import feature to add the checklist to your copy of the app.

I've also attached others I use in case they are of help to anyone.

Grrrr. I can't attach .csv files. Does anyone know if there is a place to upload files here?

EDIT: Yes, there is but it won't accept .csv files either. <sigh>

Ray
Old 07-14-2020, 09:06 AM   #13
NXR

Here is the checklist text in case you feel like retyping it or saving it from an editor as a .CSV file for importing. The bleach amount is for an 82-gallon tank. I think.

"Flushing Procedure", category
"Turn water heater power switch off."
"Loosen water filter mounting screws and remove water filter from housing. Screw the empty housing back on."
"While wearing gloves, connect the water hose to Fresh Tank Fill and carefully pour 1.5 cups of bleach into the hose. Connect the hose to the faucet and turn water on."
"Add water until fresh tank overflow begins to drip, then turn faucet off."
"Turn water pump on. We're using the water pump instead of the hose so the pump and its lines also get sanitized."
"Open each kitchen faucet one at a time until there is a faint smell of chlorine from the hot and cold. "
"Repeat for the 1/2 bath sink and then flush the toilet twice."
"Repeat for full bath sink, toilet, and shower. "
"Run washer on Cycle 12."
"Repeat for outside shower."
"Turn water pump off."
"Replenish fresh water tank level until the overflow begins dripping again."
"Wait four hours."
"Open all faucets to allow air into the system to facilitate draining. Drain the fresh water tank by removing the cap underneath. Draining the 82-gallon tank can take up to two hours."
"After the tank is drained, replace the cap. Close all faucets. "
"Install a new fresh water filter."
"Add water to Fresh Tank Fill to refill the fresh water tank partially in order to flush out the water lines."
"Turn water pump on."
"Flush all faucets and toilets to remove chlorine smell. Run water through shower and outside shower."
"Add the desired amount of fresh water to the tank."
"Dump the gray tank if possible to reduce its weight."
Old 07-14-2020, 05:03 PM   #14

I customized my utility compartment and added a filter that unscrews , I put my proper amount of bleach in filter jar ant turn on the water that fills the tank , filter available online
See pics:Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4579.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	145.3 KB
ID:	233921Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4577.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	197.1 KB
ID:	233922
gpci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 08:49 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Evil Twin View Post
Your TT has an actual hose connection to fill the tank? Usually that is the city water connection. The tank is a larger opening you just stick a hose in. Like said above, use a funnel to add bleach to the hose before you attach it to the hose bib. That will push the bleach in along with the water.
My pop-up trailer has the type of fill you spoke of. My Georgetown hook-ups are pictured.

After scoring under the MH (twice!) And not seeing anything resembling a water tank or drain valve, I found it hidden under a removable shield above the propane tank. 80 gallons was the correct quantity. The approximate measurements of the rectangular fresh water tank is 72" x 42" x 6".

I still have no way that I can find to introduce bleachinto the system.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200714_213140.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	170.6 KB
ID:	233935  
Old 07-14-2020, 09:06 PM   #16
Brake is on left

Quote:
My pop-up trailer has the type of fill you spoke of. My Georgetown hook-ups are pictured.

I still have no way that I can find to introduce bleachinto the system.
Ah, did not see it was a MH.
It is easy to put the bleach in. As many have said: attach the hose to the MH then grab the female end of the hose and pour the necessary amount of bleach into the hose. Attach the hose to your spigot on the house. Turn the water on. The water from the spigot will push the bleach through the hose and into your FW tank and fill the tank at the same time.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pour-chlorine-into-funnel-1.jpeg
Views:	56
Size:	229.9 KB
ID:	233938  
The Evil Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 09:25 PM   #17
NXR

Quote:
I still have no way that I can find to introduce bleach into the system.
If you're averse to just pouring it into the hose, which is what I do, you may have a winterization valve by the water pump that is used to draw antifreeze into the system. You could use that to suck in the bleach. It's such a small quantity I figured it was easier to pour it into the fresh tank fill hose.

Ray
Old 07-15-2020, 06:53 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
If you're averse to just pouring it into the hose, which is what I do, you may have a winterization valve by the water pump that is used to draw antifreeze into the system. You could use that to suck in the bleach. It's such a small quantity I figured it was easier to pour it into the fresh tank fill hose.

Ray
The winterization antifreeze tube will not get the bleach into the tank. The OP has been given the procedure as to how to sanitize the tank and system and he just doesn't seem to get it. He'll figure it out, maybe.
Old 07-15-2020, 07:11 AM   #19
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
The winterization antifreeze tube will not get the bleach into the tank. The OP has been given the procedure as to how to sanitize the tank and system and he just doesn't seem to get it. He'll figure it out, maybe.
Duh, of course you’re correct. I gotta stop late-night posting.

Ray
Old 07-19-2020, 06:59 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Evil Twin View Post
Ah, did not see it was a MH.
It is easy to put the bleach in. As many have said: attach the hose to the MH then grab the female end of the hose and pour the necessary amount of bleach into the hose. Attach the hose to your spigot on the house. Turn the water on. The water from the spigot will push the bleach through the hose and into your FW tank and fill the tank at the same time.
Great suggestion ET! Now I have tho learn about the antifreeze attachment for the upcoming winter.

Tags
fresh water, tank, water, water tank