Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-14-2022, 10:25 AM   #1

Saved by Hughes Watchdog, AGAIN!

We pulled in to an upscale RV resort on Lake Lanier last night after dark. I started my hookup routine, plugged in my Hughes 50 amp Watchdog and the"missing neutral" light lit up. I got my 30 Amp adapter and checked that side of the panel and it was fine. They'll be here shortly to service the panel. Don't assume that because you are a particular park that there can't, or won't, be occasional issues. We've been to this resort many times and never had an issue.
Andy n Sherrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 01:16 PM   #2
NXR

Thanks for relating that. Yes, an EMS that automatically protects is just an insurance policy with a one-time premium payment. You may never need it but if you do, it can pay for itself multiple times over. Especially in these inflationary times...

Ray
Old 01-14-2022, 02:07 PM   #3

Thanks for that info. I recently upgraded from a 30 amp progressive industries model. To the same one as yours. I like the remote wifi feature. Very cool.

Now we will hear from the "been camping for 40 years never had a problem" crowd.

The condition of some of the Power Poles at campgrounds is amazing. We pulled up to one last year and it was laying on the ground. Still hooked up to the wiring. The camp host said its ok. Repair will be here tomorrow. But you are ok.

U.S.ArmyVeteran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 10:46 PM   #4

I installed mine last year (50A hardwired Watchdog with Bluetooth). So far it’s only alerted me to a dead leg at one campground. Plugged into the 30A until they came out and installed a new 50A breaker. But I have been RVing for near 20 years and have never had an issue (that I know of), but I’m sure I had low voltage issues a handful of times over the years. With that said my next investment is going to be an Autoformer.
BTW the Hughes watchdog Bluetooth range is very short. It’s mounted in the RR electrical compartment and if I’m anywhere past the bathroom I don’t get a signal. In the bedroom I do, which is fine because that’s when I need to know.
Now that I said that I do remember one night the watchdog shut off power to the coach due to over voltage. It must have cooled down enough overnight that everyone’s AC units shut down and the voltag spiked. When I reset it I seen the voltage was around 128 I think. It was high but never shut down again.
You may not think you have ever needed it, but chances are you should have had it at least one time a year!

Better to have a bad day of camping than a good day at work!
Dodge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 12:53 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge Guy View Post
I installed mine last year (50A hardwired Watchdog with Bluetooth). So far it’s only alerted me to a dead leg at one campground. Plugged into the 30A until they came out and installed a new 50A breaker. But I have been RVing for near 20 years and have never had an issue (that I know of), but I’m sure I had low voltage issues a handful of times over the years. With that said my next investment is going to be an Autoformer.
BTW the Hughes watchdog Bluetooth range is very short. It’s mounted in the RR electrical compartment and if I’m anywhere past the bathroom I don’t get a signal. In the bedroom I do, which is fine because that’s when I need to know.
Now that I said that I do remember one night the watchdog shut off power to the coach due to over voltage. It must have cooled down enough overnight that everyone’s AC units shut down and the voltag spiked. When I reset it I seen the voltage was around 128 I think. It was high but never shut down again.
You may not think you have ever needed it, but chances are you should have had it at least one time a year!
That is interesting about the WiFi range on the hard wired unit. Our plug in model WiFi works from the trailer to the house which is at least 60 feet away.

Maybe shielded somehow or getting interference.

Have fun!
Old 01-15-2022, 02:45 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by U.S.ArmyVeteran View Post
That is interesting about the WiFi range on the hard wired unit. Our plug in model WiFi works from the trailer to the house which is at least 60 feet away.

Maybe shielded somehow or getting interference.

Have fun!
I have questioned them on the Bluetooth range and they say it’s only about 15 feet. It’s the only negative I have on the product.

Old 01-15-2022, 08:54 PM   #7

I was a skeptic

Quote:
Now we will hear from the "been camping for 40 years never had a problem" crowd.
I admit to being a skeptic. But I just posted this post two minutes ago where I calculate the voltages that can occur on a 50-amp connection to a trailer built for 50 amps.

Right now we have two 30-amp trailers and are immune from that risk. But if we ever get a 50-amp trailer, I will definitely get a protective device.

Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 12:49 AM   #8

Was that the RV Dealer or Watchdog that said 15 feet limit?? That's a pretty low range.
Old 01-16-2022, 08:44 AM   #9

PAN

Quote:
Was that the RV Dealer or Watchdog that said 15 feet limit?? That's a pretty low range.
Bluetooth is not a Local Area Network (LAN). By design, it is a Personal Area Network (PAN) with shorter range. (It's also why devices "pair" to connect, instead of getting access to everything within reach. Different design constraints.)

Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 09:11 AM   #10

Do you really think so???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post
Right now we have two 30-amp trailers and are immune from that risk. But if we ever get a 50-amp trailer, I will definitely get a protective device.
Larry, I suggest you grab a pencil and paper and recalculate.

I have the Hughes 30 amp portable. Hooked up at CG Sept 2021 only to find the 30 amp circuit had an open neutral. I grabbed my VOM and found 103 volts, no load.

Is this service safe to use??? Yea there are ways to use that box but it at your own risk ......... that's for certain.
Richard in Milwaukee
Richy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 10:37 AM   #11

Quote:
This was Hughes, the manuf. they said it is very short range. I’ll see if I can find the email.

Old 01-16-2022, 10:47 AM   #12
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richy R View Post

I have the Hughes 30 amp portable. Hooked up at CG Sept 2021 only to find the 30 amp circuit had an open neutral. I grabbed my VOM and found 103 volts, no load.

Is this service safe to use??? Yea there are ways to use that box but it at your own risk ......... that's for certain.
Richard in Milwaukee
But a $5 one of these will find open neutrals and other issues. At that cost, everyone with a 30a R/V should carry and use before plugging into shore power.Click image for larger version

Name:	Circuit%20Tester.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	267824

Days Camped: '17=38 '18=49 '19=58 '20=110 '21=116 '22=27
5picker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 11:11 AM   #13
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richy R View Post

He calculated correctly. "open" means "completely disconnected".

If the neutral truly was open it's impossible for there to have been 103 VAC because the neutral would be completely disconnected.

More likely whatever device told you the neutral was "open" lied to you but without seeing it myself I could not tell you how.

Even with zero load, an open neutral would show 0 volts.

With a high-resistance neutral, even if it was extremely high resistance, a digital meter would still show close to normal voltage but the voltage would drop when a load was applied.

If you don't believe me, take a regular electrical cord or extension cord and cut the wider prong completely off. That is what an open neutral is.

Ray
Old 01-16-2022, 11:24 AM   #14
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker
But a $5 one of these will find open neutrals and other issues. At that cost, everyone with a 30a R/V should carry and use before plugging into shore power.
You may have posted the wrong picture. The device you posted plugs into the 120 VAC house outlet on a pedestal, not the 30-amp RV outlet. While the two "should" be wired the same, there is no guarantee they are.

Also, the 30-amp outlet gets a lot more (ab)use and is more likely to be defective from arcing and wear and tear even if the rarely-used 120 VAC outlet is perfect.

Testing the outlet with a tester puts different stresses on the outlet than hanging a heavy cord on the outlet will. Pushing the tester straight in versus the heavy cord pulling down on the outlet kind of thing.

A device like that certainly won't hurt and may alert you to a problem but I would never rely on one myself. But that's me.

See my post here about someone who experienced bad wiring after being plugged in for six weeks: https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...ml#post2682067

Ray
Attached Images

Old 01-16-2022, 11:40 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
But a $5 one of these will find open neutrals and other issues. At that cost, everyone with a 30a R/V should carry and use before plugging into shore power.Attachment 267824
My power cord even has lights on the plug-in end that will detect open neutral. It's called Faultsmart by Furrion. Yes, we both know it won't protect anything after it is plugged in.

For 30 amp RV use you need:

https://www.amazon.com/BESYL-30-Amp-.../dp/B098DVDQ5T

Click image for larger version

Name:	capture1.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	267831
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 01:36 PM   #16
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
You may have posted the wrong picture. The device you posted plugs into the 120 VAC house outlet on a pedestal, not the 30-amp RV outlet. While the two "should" be wired the same, there is no guarantee they are.

Also, the 30-amp outlet gets a lot more (ab)use and is more likely to be defective from arcing and wear and tear even if the rarely-used 120 VAC outlet is perfect.

Testing the outlet with a tester puts different stresses on the outlet than hanging a heavy cord on the outlet will. Pushing the tester straight in versus the heavy cord pulling down on the outlet kind of thing.

A device like that certainly won't hurt and may alert you to a problem but I would never rely on one myself. But that's me.

See my post here about someone who experienced bad wiring after being plugged in for six weeks: https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...ml#post2682067

Ray
Nope, simply use your favorite 30a to 15a adapter and it will check the 30a outlet just fine.

I use one that has a short cord coming off it so while it doesn't emulate the weight of a 30a shore power cord, it does a good job of letting you know how worn the outlet is.

Days Camped: '17=38 '18=49 '19=58 '20=110 '21=116 '22=27
5picker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 02:08 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post
Bluetooth is not a Local Area Network (LAN). By design, it is a Personal Area Network (PAN) with shorter range. (It's also why devices "pair" to connect, instead of getting access to everything within reach. Different design constraints.)
I confused WiFi and Bluetooth in my previous post. OOps. Guess my MCSE is expired now.

Still interesting that my "plug in" unit has a much greater range than the "hardwired" version. You wouldn't think that the walls of the RV would inhibit the signal that much.