Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-20-2018, 02:04 PM   #1

Seat covers-again

Hi all, I have seen many of the threads here but can't reply to the one I wanted to as it's an old post.
I have new seat covers coming from Williamsburg and wanted a few tips and tricks on removing the old covers and putting the new ones on. If anyone has links or videos I am happy to read and watch anything.
Also, can someone explain how to remove the arms on the chairs please. I have a 2013 Georgetown 378xl.

Thanks
Carol K
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1529521362148-1392536708.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	220.2 KB
ID:	176658  
ckrkrovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 02:32 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckrkrovers View Post
Hi all, I have seen many of the threads here but can't reply to the one I wanted to as it's an old post.
I have new seat covers coming from Williamsburg and wanted a few tips and tricks on removing the old covers and putting the new ones on. If anyone has links or videos I am happy to read and watch anything.
Also, can someone explain how to remove the arms on the chairs please. I have a 2013 Georgetown 378xl.

Thanks
Carol K
Sorta put a knee on the armrest as hard as you can, then turn the armrest until you can pull it off. You may have to do it in both directions-- turn it to the rear first!
Take pictures of every step of removing the old covers. You'll probably want to remove the chairs from the bases-- after you have removed the arm rests. Take them outside or if you have room in a garage. I used a pair of saw horses and an 8 by 4 piece of plywood to do the work on. Tools you'll want to have include a needle nose plyers, a hog ring pliers kit. You'll also want a good sharp knife. An open end/ combo wrench set. You can get a kit that includes 200 hog rings and the pliers from Ebay for 16.38/ free shipping. Have fun! Took me about 4hrs to do each chair. Saved me about $800 to do the complete reupholstery job.
Schvarak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 04:29 PM   #3
Kanadian Kamper

In the search area near the top right, type in “remove armrest”

You’ll see all kinds of tips including pictures and instructions from Iggy and his Georgetown 378.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 05:33 AM   #4
Tim & Lisa Trempert

Quote:

Thanks
Carol K
I just finished doing my 2008. I had to go back and redo the driver's seat because I wasn't happy with it as it was too loose. My recommendation is to pull the seat covers on about as tight as you can while fastening the hog rings. Also, there is a long thin piece of fabric on the back covering that you will need to feed through the foam on the seat and down to the bottom that you will hog ring tightly to the bar at the bottom. I'm sure this is all confusing now but as you take it apart I think you'll see what I mean. I also did my euro chair and couch. Turned out nice.
Old 06-21-2018, 08:09 PM   #5

Thanks all, we are looking forward to them getting here and having better looking seats.

Carol K
Old 06-22-2018, 10:02 AM   #6

I didn't have his rings available so I used plastic zip ties. Also sprayed adhesive on the cushion backs before pulling on covers. Turn them inside out and roll them down. Toughest part seemed to be putting the armrest covers on! Also be sure to put the armrests back on before reinstalling the seat (ask me how I know).Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180602_130738.jpeg
Views:	172
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	176840
360true is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 01:12 PM   #7

360true what sort of adhesive did you use? Also just to confirm, you spray it on the chair itself not the cover correct?

My order went in yesterday but the factory closed for two weeks so will be mid to late July before getting them. I also changed from the usual tan to a dark grey since we ripped out all of the carpet and put in vinyl tile and charcoal grey theatre seating then hey why not mix it up.

Carol K
Old 06-23-2018, 01:24 PM   #8

Quote:
360true what sort of adhesive did you use? Also just to confirm, you spray it on the chair itself not the cover correct?

My order went in yesterday but the factory closed for two weeks so will be mid to late July before getting them. I also changed from the usual tan to a dark grey since we ripped out all of the carpet and put in vinyl tile and charcoal grey theatre seating then hey why not mix it up.

Carol K
Gorilla Spray Adhesive . Gives you 15 minutes to reposition it. Primarily used for headrests padding that you need to remove and replace in the new cover. Bought it at Walmart.
Old 06-23-2018, 03:48 PM   #9

to remove the arms. put them in the up position, 12 o'clock. Push in hard and rotate them to the 9 o'clock position. That is were the notch in the back is located to pull them straight up. Once the seat is recovered, with a sharp knife, cut a hole and small slit in the proper location to replace the arm. Position the arm at the 9 o'clock position. insert, push in and rotate to the 12 o'clock position.

Also, when taking the old covers off, reach between the cover and core as there may be velcro glued to the foam core at the intersection of the center of the seat and back where the wings meet. This is used to hold the pleat in the seat and back.

Be patient and things will work out well. Hardest part for me was the headrests as the foam is very dense.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	CaptChair - 1.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	237.1 KB
ID:	176965   Click image for larger version

Name:	CaptChair - 3.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	332.6 KB
ID:	176966  
Old 06-24-2018, 08:33 AM   #10

Quote:

Carol K
I used a 3M spray adhesive called "77". Probably not as strong as the Gorilla. Is used most often as automotive headliners.
360true is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 03:02 PM   #11

Well just been informed my seat covers on on the way, so excited to get this done.
Anyone that's done this recommend size of the hog rings and about how many did you use per seat?

Thanks
Carol K
Old 07-18-2018, 03:23 PM   #12

Quote:
Well just been informed my seat covers on on the way, so excited to get this done.
Anyone that's done this recommend size of the hog rings and about how many did you use per seat?

Thanks
Carol K
Go to EBAY, and search for Hog Ring pliers. Find the red pliers and kit for $16.00 includes 200 1/2" hog rings, and free shipping! Easy as can be!! You won't run out of rings!! Like I said before , as you're removing the seat covers pay attention to where and approximately how many rings are in use. Also, go read my post #2 completely. I mention other hand tools you probably will need as well.
Old 07-19-2018, 09:51 AM   #13

Thanks Schvarak!
Old 07-25-2018, 03:40 PM   #14

So here is the final result. We are happy, we went with a dark color to match our couch and the vinyl plank floor has lots of grey in it, so looks good.
I would say, and we didn't know this, after spraying the back with glue we put the back cover on. We yanked and yanked and it seemed like we couldn't get the head rest area to look right. You get in a panic due to the glue but I had to sit and ponder it. I had hubby look in the old cover and he found a foam piece that should have been put in the new cover first. So had to unstick the cover, big mess, but after we put the head rest foam in new cover it worked a lot better. Wish we had known about that, so don't forget that part. Other than that it was pretty easy to do and took approx 2.5 hours per chair and that included in bolting from base.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20180725_162652.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	203.6 KB
ID:	181222  
Old 07-25-2018, 04:06 PM   #15

Quote:
So here is the final result. We are happy, we went with a dark color to match our couch and the vinyl plank floor has lots of grey in it, so looks good.
I would say, and we didn't know this, after spraying the back with glue we put the back cover on. We yanked and yanked and it seemed like we couldn't get the head rest area to look right. You get in a panic due to the glue but I had to sit and ponder it. I had hubby look in the old cover and he found a foam piece that should have been put in the new cover first. So had to unstick the cover, big mess, but after we put the head rest foam in new cover it worked a lot better. Wish we had known about that, so don't forget that part. Other than that it was pretty easy to do and took approx 2.5 hours per chair and that included in bolting from base.
Looks goooood!!! Congrats! Do you have a pull-out sofa to reupholster??
Old 07-25-2018, 04:33 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schvarak View Post
Looks goooood!!! Congrats! Do you have a pull-out sofa to reupholster??
Here's my final of Captains chairs and sofa (my most consuming job)Click image for larger version

Name:	20180427_110843.jpeg
Views:	121
Size:	78.2 KB
ID:	181230Click image for larger version

Name:	20180319_153351.jpeg
Views:	245
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	181234
Old 07-27-2018, 07:35 AM   #17

No we ditched it a while ago and bought a new dark grey one that is more like a theatre seat. Love the new one. Yours new upholstery looks great also!

Carol K
Old 07-28-2018, 06:45 AM   #18

Hi my name is Tom, I have been trying diligently to find someone or somewhere I can buy new seat covers for the couch and chairs, do you have a phone number or an address, or anything that I could utilize to find what I’m looking for, thank you
Tommele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 08:20 AM   #19

When we did our captains chairs we slipped a gerbage bag over the top of the foam back. It made it much easier to slip the new cover on over the foam.
DSurette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 09:13 AM   #20

Hi Tom, I started by calling Forest River and asking which company made them. Also, in the bottom of the seat cover sewn in under the chair is a tag, it will be needed to give the manufacturers a number or style.
Are your seats like the ones in my pic? If so they were made by Williamsburg Furniture in Nappannee IN. If you need their contact info let me know.

Carol K

Tags
cover