Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-23-2023, 02:38 PM   #1

Shedding rainwater off 2012 Georgetown 378

I'm looking for advice how to prevent rainwater from collecting on my roof while it's stored especially on the passenger side. The dometic awning is anchored to the roof's termination strip on that side.The strip and the awning roller act as a barrier to water running off . I'd like to get the mh high enough either on the front or back so the water goes off . Has anyone managed to do this ?
I've tried putting a couple pieces of 3/4 " plywood under the front - no effect
Nomore9-5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2023, 03:51 PM   #2

You will never get an RV positioned so that there is no water pooled somewhere on the roof unless you stand it on end, figuritvely speaking. They are just built with too many low spots. I guess you can say if it it's pooled it isn't leaking right there.
Sunseeker16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2023, 08:06 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunseeker16 View Post
You will never get an RV positioned so that there is no water pooled somewhere on the roof unless you stand it on end, figuritvely speaking. They are just built with too many low spots. I guess you can say if it it's pooled it isn't leaking right there.

Done a little research and all I'd need is a slope of 1/4 inch per foot. So over course of 38 ft we're looking at 9 " . Think your response may be a little exaggerated but thanks for commenting all the same
Old 04-23-2023, 08:28 PM   #4

Sounds like you need a ramp. The mh doesn't need to be level as long as your refrigerator is in storage and not operating. Sorry, I don't know how you'd build one or where to buy premade ramps sturdy enough for a motorhome.
Old 04-23-2023, 09:36 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverse_snowbird View Post
Sounds like you need a ramp. The mh doesn't need to be level as long as your refrigerator is in storage and not operating. Sorry, I don't know how you'd build one or where to buy premade ramps sturdy enough for a motorhome.

I was looking at the curved ramps that raise the wheels up to 4 " They come with a chock to secure the tire . Been doing some looking on the internet - for smooth surfaces like my roof all I need is a 1% slope which is 1/8 " per foot. Motorhome is 37ft so 4 " gets me pretty close to the 4.6 " needed. Might be a tiny bit of slope where it's stored to get me there too.
Lost my roof due to water / ice damage in 2020 so I'm absolutely paranoid about water lying arround up there. Toweling off after each rainfall etc thought this might work or at least help
Old 04-24-2023, 02:44 PM   #6

Want to raise the front

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverse_snowbird View Post
You would want to raise the front. The back would require ramps twice as wide for the dual tires.. Also nice to have the wheels with the parking brake on the ground.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2023, 03:33 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post
You would want to raise the front. The back would require ramps twice as wide for the dual tires.. Also nice to have the wheels with the parking brake on the ground.

Agree front makes more sense. I'd prefer rainwater coming off the back. Avoids any water getting into windshield gasketing and 2 wheels to deal with instead of 4.
Might also look at making a ramp by layering 2x 12's
Old 04-24-2023, 03:58 PM   #8
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomore9-5 View Post
Agree front makes more sense. I'd prefer rainwater coming off the back. Avoids any water getting into windshield gasketing and 2 wheels to deal with instead of 4.
Might also look at making a ramp by layering 2x 12's
Home-made leveling blocks have been used for decades.
2x8 would be plenty but use 2x12 if you are more comfortable with that.
Screw the boards together.

There is also a company making a "kit" that includes some plastic parts for driving onto. Hopkins I believe.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2023, 07:14 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
Home-made leveling blocks have been used for decades.

2x8 would be plenty but use 2x12 if you are more comfortable with that.

Screw the boards together.

There is also a company making a "kit" that includes some plastic parts for driving onto. Hopkins I believe.

Top ramp is what I had in mind . Did you make it yourself ? If you did would be great knowing the length of each of pieces . I looked at my tires and it looks like their footprint is about a foot long. So I thought I'd make the top layer maybe 1 1/2 feet ,intermediate twice that then base (3 feet) base being 4 1/2 feet .
Old 04-26-2023, 01:23 PM   #10

Why not just use the jacks to raise the front and then put wood under the front tires?

Better to have a bad day of camping than a good day at work!
Dodge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2023, 05:47 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge Guy View Post
Why not just use the jacks to raise the front and then put wood under the front tires?

A few years ago I tried doing that to slide 3/4 " plywood under the wheels at a campground we stayed at over the winter. Not sure if the reason was suspension or wheel mechanics but I had to raise the mh up a crazy amount .I can only imagine trying to lift it 4"
Think I'll stick with the ramp
Old 04-29-2023, 10:50 AM   #12

Quote:
I'm looking for advice how to prevent rainwater from collecting on my roof while it's stored especially on the passenger side. The dometic awning is anchored to the roof's termination strip on that side.The strip and the awning roller act as a barrier to water running off . I'd like to get the mh high enough either on the front or back so the water goes off . Has anyone managed to do this ?
I've tried putting a couple pieces of 3/4 " plywood under the front - no effect

Wanted to update everyone who took the time to comment on this. Special thanks to Spiker for supplying pics of ramps. I made a combination of the two and installed them a couple of days ago.
We had rain overnight and again this morning I drove over to where the mh is stored and found water draining off the rear of the motor home on either side
Old 04-29-2023, 02:25 PM   #13
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Wanted to update everyone who took the time to comment on this. Special thanks to Spiker for supplying pics of ramps. I made a combination of the two and installed them a couple of days ago.
We had rain overnight and again this morning I drove over to where the mh is stored and found water draining off the rear of the motor home on either side
Great!
Glad something from this forum is working for you and thanks for letting us know it is!

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2023, 05:02 PM   #14

Quote:
A few years ago I tried doing that to slide 3/4 " plywood under the wheels at a campground we stayed at over the winter. Not sure if the reason was suspension or wheel mechanics but I had to raise the mh up a crazy amount .I can only imagine trying to lift it 4"
Think I'll stick with the ramp

Think you’ll find that the suspension system sags quite a bit. Plus they are not designed to hang but to support weight. Been told that is not good for shocks. [emoji41]
Flight Instructor Falcon 900XL
2015 Georgetown XL 360 DS
towing 2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Falcon900Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2023, 12:27 PM   #15

What was the cost to repair the roof? Thank you

2011 Gergetown 378 TS XL on a Workhorse W22 chassis

Toad is a 2014 Chevy Cruze RS
Moorio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2023, 01:15 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moorio View Post
What was the cost to repair the roof? Thank you

yikes! Sounds like there's a roof repair in you future - my condolences Ours ran arround $26 - 27K
Old 09-07-2023, 01:33 PM   #17

Quote:
yikes! Sounds like there's a roof repair in you future - my condolences Ours ran arround $26 - 27K

Thought I'd pass this along - Not sure where you are but if you're in SE USA I would suggest you consider RV Roof Install they're in Oglethorpe GA ( near Chatanooga ) You can see some of the repairs they've done on Georgetowns by looking online . Looks like they do really good work - 10 year garantee
We couldn't use them because our roof damage was done when Canada US travel was shut down due to Covid but they would have been high on our list of repair shops

Tags
2012, georgetown, tow, water