Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-08-2012, 09:32 PM   #21

We have over 11,000 mi on our 2011 378 and are happy with it. Other than the hydraulic line bubble issue which was fixed under warranty, we haven't had more than minor problems with loose screws, etc. We really like the floor plan, and haven't really seen anything else near this price range we like as well. The Ford engine pulls hard and sounds sweet and the transmission does a great job both uphill and down. After getting used to it, I find it easy to drive considering its size and don't mind 500 mi days behind the wheel.

If I were buying again, I might look at a few used DP's, but would probably buy another Georgetown 378 for the floor plan.
ohiobill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 10:00 PM   #22

We have a 2013 GT 350XL We love it. No major issues. We can run for 6 hrs on one tank. With a Quarter tank of fuel on board the cost to fill is about $350 cdn. I find that it drives very well. Any large sized coach is going to get pushed by wind or passing trucks. I have driven the Coachman Mirada and Windsport to and from orlando pretty much the same length, same wind issues. I found that the Georgetowns are top self compared to others in its class I.e. Mirada / Windsport.

Good luck with your decision!
SemperFi3088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 11:29 PM   #23

The picture that accompanies my post is my 2007 315 Georgetown atop Coal Bank Summit enroute to Molas Pass and Red Mountain Pass all between 10000 and 12000 feet. I did this three times in 2011 never had any problems. I've travelled the interstate from Colorado to Utah several times I just anticipate big trucks and adjust my speed. I don't have experience driving other motorhomes but I've always felt safe in our Georgetown. If winds get high I'm not afraid to pull over. The great thing about my motorhome; I can pull over anytime and if I don't like my neighbor just turn the key and go on down the road. The major problem I've has been with the Lipert jacks leaking. I've replaced them all under warranty. Ford also replaced the air conditioner compressor when we first bought the rig. Anyone on the blog here will tell you there will be a breakin period when you have to find and have things repaired. My wife and I love our Georgetown.
RANGERBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 08:34 AM   #24

Thanks for all your comments. My experience in driving an RV has been limited to our 1999 Jayco Class C 28ft so I appreciate your sharing your driving experiences.
gloucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 03:11 PM   #25

My 2 cents worth is first off the OP, is first person either on forums or dealer personel that I have heard/talked to that knows the 57% ratio of overall lenght to wheelbase ratio that I discovered shopping for my first rig six years ago. I too had that same consideration when I starting looking to upgrade year and size of my Moho. In addition, I too "was not ever going to look at a Georgetown or any Warren Buffet Co. product" when I started out shopping rigs October of 2011. Well guess what? I found my 2011TS used with 4600 miles on it and it is so much more coach then the DW and I thought we would be able to afford. Sure the wheelbase ratio is off a little (and I do feel a handling difference from my 2000 Allegro that had a 58% ratio) and maybe they have had some problems. They all do. All we know is we got a hellava coach for the money considering we were looking used gas rigs in the 2005 to 2008 range. Gas mileage and everthing else being a Ford chassis is going to be about the same no matter who you look at or what you pay, if its new and a gasser, it'll be the Ford F53 V10 (I love!).
Kia Sportage on MasterTow Dolly
sherman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 07:39 AM   #26

To add to my last post, DW and I just finished a 1600 mile trip to Nashville from Buffalo NY area last week. The improved power of the re-worked V10 from the version in my 2000 MH is incredible coupled with the 5 speed tranny vs. 4 speed. However, driving home up Rt. 65 to Rt. 71 there was a very strong cross wind. At times I was pushed over to the shoulder rumble strips and had some white knuckle moments, especially when encountering one lane road construction between concrete Jersey barriers. I had never experienced this with my old rig, I do attribute some of the difference in the GT being a foot taller than the old Allegro. I did not feel any adverse handling effects from tracker trailers, either when they passed me, sometimes on both sides, or me passing one of them. This could of been done one handed (which of course I do not do) So what is the net handling result from my one long trip taking in account pluses vs. minuses? I think after getting to know the characteristics of the GT, it has an overall much better ride and driving experience over the 2000 Allegro with the 58% WB vs. length ratio.
Old 12-21-2012, 01:48 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiobill View Post
We have over 11,000 mi on our 2011 378 and are happy with it. Other than the hydraulic line bubble issue which was fixed under warranty, we haven't had more than minor problems with loose screws, etc. We really like the floor plan, and haven't really seen anything else near this price range we like as well. The Ford engine pulls hard and sounds sweet and the transmission does a great job both uphill and down. After getting used to it, I find it easy to drive considering its size and don't mind 500 mi days behind the wheel.

If I were buying again, I might look at a few used DP's, but would probably buy another Georgetown 378 for the floor plan.
New to the forum and the RV world. Appreciate all the experience and knowledge here. Don't have an RV yet. Still debating 5er vs MH. My favorite MH floorplan is the Georgetown 378TS. I'll be going full-time, and will probably go coast-to-coast once or twice a year, plus short regional trips.

OhioBill, others have mentioned diesels being better for full-timers, and you said you would look at DP's if you were buying again. Why? What are the advantages / disadvantages of both? And should I not even consider a gas engine if I'm full-timing, or would there just be minor inconveniences? Thanks.
JoJoBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 11:29 AM   #28

JoJO Bird - I really can't claim to be much of an expert on DP's as I've nevfer owned one. But, from what I've read, the the diesel chassis with air suspension ride and handle better than the steel sprung gas rigs. Also there is the issue of better fuel mileage for the DP, but now offset with the higher fuel cost for diesel. As far as the 378 Georgetown goes, we love it. I have 11,000 miles on it so far

and the only real problems have been with the Lippert hydraulics. The Ford V-10 makes the HP of a diesel but doesn't quite have the torque. So, you do have to rev it a bit in the mountains, otherwise it is quiet and smooth. Service cost are also lower on the Georgetown, I paid $41 for my last oil change and lube at the local Ford dealer.

All that being said, I would recommend looking at a few DP's and comparing to the Georgetown before buying. There are some nice used DP's out there for the price of a new gas rig, and you might find one you like better.
Old 12-21-2012, 12:11 PM   #29
Berkshire 390QS

Sugestions,
(we looked and drove both)
Drive the Georgetown and drive a Berkshire DP and compare
See what's within your budget
Pick a floor plan that works for you
Full time, maybe larger is best
Basement storage, we can even store or bikes below, 3 pass thru storage compartments.

We found a new 2009 in 2010 at a dealer and got a great price we think.
Think the quality of interior is a out te same in both, not high end but nice.
Both will have some issues, every HM does, but after 20,000 miles, including trip to Alaska have them worked out.

We decided on the 2009 Berkshire and is working our fine for us.

Best of luck
NO3putt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 05:30 PM   #30

JoJoBird, your question could take to the night before Christmas for an in-depth answer. Owning a gasser also I sure am not a DP expert. However, some insight after six years of motor home ownership. If you are pick-up truck type people and perhaps drive one now than I would guess a 5'er would be a good fit. From my perspective, they have the most floor space and floor plans available than any RV out there. Once you get up into the mid 30ft. rigs you wonder if you left your home. However, do you want to drive a p/u around daily, perhaps a dual rear axle job if your rig would demand it? A nice class A, DP or gas offers the convenience of pulling into a campground, press 5-6 buttons, open the fridge to pull out a cold adult beverage and camp is set. Or, your on the highway, hungry? start the generator and the co-pilot goes back and nukes some snacks or maybe you were already driving with the genny running to cool the rig and had a crock pot plugged in so lunch or dinner would be ready when you are. Gas vs. Dp can be a hot subject for some. I don't full time so a gas rig makes sense by way of initial purchase/vs./age, operating costs, repair costs, cheaper fuel etc. However, that being said, if I were F/T I would want a DP for its comfort and superior ride quality , better build materials inside and out, amenities, and what is huge is its pulling power, whether its a tow vehicle or climbing mountain passes out west or heading to Alaska. Your own situation and pocket book will answer these questions as you begin your quest to find that perfect RV for you. Don't worry if your first choice isn't what you had in mind. It may take several rigs to refine exactly what are your real needs vs. wants that really don't matter. Good Luck, I wish I could be thinking of full timing myself with my pal dear wife (DW) but that possibility is still a few years away for us. Enjoy the lifestyle and Merry Christmas to you.
Old 12-22-2012, 12:44 AM   #31

Decisions…. I did buy a large F250 SRW when I thought I was sure I would get a 5er, because the 5er's seem to be the most home-like RVs on the road. Then the 5er's I really liked got bigger and bigger, which would require a DRW truck. But the more I drive "the beast" I have now, the more I know I'm not gonna like having it as my daily runaround vehicle, especially a DRW. That, more than anything else, is what's pushing me toward the MH. So my first big purchase toward joining the RV world already seems to be a mistake. Hoping to avoid more of those.

And the large open living area of the 378TS is the closest I've found in my budget range to the home-like feel of the 5er's I liked - except for interior height. I'm 6'3", so I guess as long as I can live with sticking my head up in the skylight dome when I shower, and don't do any jumping jacks in the rest of the place, I'll get by.

I'm sure I'll have more questions as this goes along. Glad to know you folks are here. Thanks for the help. Thanks, ohiobill, NO3putt, and sherman12. Merry Christmas to all.

JJB
Old 12-22-2012, 10:49 AM   #32

Send a message via Skype™ to Falcon35
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoJoBird View Post
Decisions…. I did buy a large F250 SRW when I thought I was sure I would get a 5er, because the 5er's seem to be the most home-like RVs on the road. Then the 5er's I really liked got bigger and bigger, which would require a DRW truck. But the more I drive "the beast" I have now, the more I know I'm not gonna like having it as my daily runaround vehicle, especially a DRW. That, more than anything else, is what's pushing me toward the MH. So my first big purchase toward joining the RV world already seems to be a mistake. Hoping to avoid more of those.

And the large open living area of the 378TS is the closest I've found in my budget range to the home-like feel of the 5er's I liked - except for interior height. I'm 6'3", so I guess as long as I can live with sticking my head up in the skylight dome when I shower, and don't do any jumping jacks in the rest of the place, I'll get by.

I'm sure I'll have more questions as this goes along. Glad to know you folks are here. Thanks for the help. Thanks, ohiobill, NO3putt, and sherman12. Merry Christmas to all.

JJB
We are not full timers but we do spend from new years to mid April somewhere in the South plus also RVing in the summer. We switched from a 5er and a DRW truck last year to a Georgetown 378. One of the deciding factors for us was the truck as a second car when we were home.
Before the 378 when we look at new RVs my DW would alway say I like our fifth wheel better. When I showed her the Georgetown 378 she changed her mind. After we had it for a few months she said I don't know why we didn't do this sooner. The Honda Fit toad is a better second vehicle then crew cab dully. Merry Christmas to All.
Protect-A-Tow
Falcon35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 11:02 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon35 View Post
We are not full timers but we do spend from new years to mid April somewhere in the South plus also RVing in the summer. We switched from a 5er and a DRW truck last year to a Georgetown 378. One of the deciding factors for us was the truck as a second car when we were home.
Before the 378 when we look at new RVs my DW would alway say I like our fifth wheel better. When I showed her the Georgetown 378 she changed her mind. After we had it for a few months she said I don't know why we didn't do this sooner. The Honda Fit toad is a better second vehicle then crew cab dully. Merry Christmas to All.
Amen! That is exactly what happened to us. Spent a month in Key West with a crew cab duelly and discovered that a vehicle that large did not lend itself to narrow, tourist clogged streets. That and set up time of the 5th wheel compared to the Georgetown. (Won't drink a beer during setup. MoHo means I can get to a beer quicker!)
Kirby the Old Dog, passed but still in our hearts
Max E. Dog, the new pup
Eureka the Old Cat, still hangin' on
Lostdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 01:20 PM   #34

Us too! Traded a 31 ft Montana and Ford diesel for the Georgetown. Enjoy travel and staying in the Georgetown much more.
Old 12-22-2012, 06:38 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
I think you are answering your own question.
Now you want other to agree with you. Hummm. 1st post.
Do more reading and decide if a Georgetownis what you need.
If you don't like what you hear or read move up to something bigger and more stable. I'm sure cost is a factor.

I have a 2012 Georgetown GT 378TS
37 ft and 3 slides. I have pulling 5th wheel for over 20 years.
I have driven many large trucks that weigh much more than this motorhome. They all drive like trucks.
If you are looking for a car feel you won't find it.
If you are considering going full time on the road buy a diesel pusher, air suspension, etc.

Give us some more information what you are looking for and what you plan to use it for. Weekends or driving cross country. Then maybe we can be more helpful. No matter what we say you will have the final decision but at this time it sounds you don't want to buy one.

Hope to hear more.
Iggy, if I may pick your brain..... (and anyone else who wants to chime in).

For full-timers, you suggested diesel pusher, air suspension, etc. I'm assuming you recommend this for the on-the-road travelling issues more than the parked day-to-day living issues. Correct? If so, I'm wondering about different ways that people live full-time. Some may camp just a few days in one place, travel 200-500 miles, camp another few days, repeat, repeat... Others may camp a few weeks, maybe a month in one place, then travel 200-500 miles, camp another few weeks or a month, repeat, repeat. So the difference in annual on-the-road miles is substantial. While my plans will be flexible, my goal is to travel about once a month, with a few hundred miles in between stays. Does this difference influence the diesel/gas question at all, in your opinion? Also, are there maintenance issues in diesel vs gas to be considered if the MH will sit idle (but lived-in) for a month at a time (roughly)?

I'm really attracted to the 378TS mostly for the floor plan, and it seems to have a decent reputation. Those around 2 years old seem to be in my budget. So far I haven't found a diesel I like as much that is within the budget.

Advice? Thanks a bunch.

JJB
Old 12-22-2012, 06:49 PM   #36
Kanadian Kamper

These Ford Triton V-10 engines are the clear winner in almost all of the manufacturers Class A Gas Motorhomes.........that has to say a lot. If you do the basic routine maintenance, any of which would be cheaper than the equivalent diesel routine, I'd pocket the difference of price for a diesel, and go for the floorplan that best works for you. Almost everyone here on the Georgetown forum will tell you they love the dependability and performance of the Triton. Unless you have a NEED to tow beyond the limit of 5000 pounds, sounds like a gas model is for you.

YMMV

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 09:07 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoJoBird View Post
Iggy, if I may pick your brain..... (and anyone else who wants to chime in).

For full-timers, you suggested diesel pusher, air suspension, etc. I'm assuming you recommend this for the on-the-road travelling issues more than the parked day-to-day living issues. Correct? If so, I'm wondering about different ways that people live full-time. Some may camp just a few days in one place, travel 200-500 miles, camp another few days, repeat, repeat... Others may camp a few weeks, maybe a month in one place, then travel 200-500 miles, camp another few weeks or a month, repeat, repeat. So the difference in annual on-the-road miles is substantial. While my plans will be flexible, my goal is to travel about once a month, with a few hundred miles in between stays. Does this difference influence the diesel/gas question at all, in your opinion? Also, are there maintenance issues in diesel vs gas to be considered if the MH will sit idle (but lived-in) for a month at a time (roughly)?

I'm really attracted to the 378TS mostly for the floor plan, and it seems to have a decent reputation. Those around 2 years old seem to be in my budget. So far I haven't found a diesel I like as much that is within the budget.

Advice? Thanks a bunch.

JJB
Good discussion. We start our full time travels this coming March. Many of the decisions that we needed to make determining what we would be driving for our new lifestyle involved how much actual driving we would be doing. Because one of our goals is to park somewhere and stay long enough to really explore the history and attraction wherever we are we don't expect to put that many miles on the coach. I estimate that after 5 years or so of traveling we MAY have 15 to 20 thousand miles on the MoHo. Having said that: Floorplan was everything! As a bonus...I'm super pleased with the Ford V10. We drag a Wrangler behind and the 7% grades we hit while in the Smokies were no problem. No loss of speed and, occasionally, passing diesel MoHos while climbing. Yes...that V10 will let you know that it is there turning 4600 RPM but it's built for that. Also, never found a diesel floor plan under $400,000 that had a floorplan that was close to what we wanted. We just fell in love with the 378TS.
Kirby the Old Dog, passed but still in our hearts
Max E. Dog, the new pup
Eureka the Old Cat, still hangin' on
Lostdog is offline   Reply With Quote