Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-25-2021, 06:54 PM   #1

Sidewall failure

We just replaced the bearings and shocks due to a noise we could not determine; however, the noise was still present. Imagine my horror when I realized the sidewall has separated, with a clear view to the pavement. I never thought this could happen! The front cap appears to be separating as well. I want it professionally repaired, but no one in my area will touch it.

Granted this is a 2012 with 35,000 miles, but it is a well-maintained unit. I realize there is always something to repair, but this is shocking to me. It is a huge safety issue and the dealer and FR are of zero help.

For the Canadians on this site, who would I contact to report a safety concern?

I read the pinned post and see that this is definitely a problem. How in the world can FR not be forced to do a recall?

Thank you to all for your always informative posts.
northernlights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 08:07 AM   #2

Wow sorry to hear that. What pinned post are you talking about? When you said your dealer and FR are zero help what do you mean?
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 08:27 AM   #3

SeaDog, I was referring to the thread that is posted at the top of the forum with complaints about sidewall failure.

The dealership said it is out of warranty. I told him it was a safety issue and if there was no recall, there should be one.

Forest River just responded to me, indicating that the issue is our fault because apparently we aren't maintaining our motorhome. The rep stated that "the sealants were not maintained and water seeped into the area where the bolts are located. Over time the bolts rust and break due to the stress of travelling down the road".

This is BS. They are passing the blame to the consumer. We meticulously care for our motorhome and even if we didn't, vehicles do not simply split apart while driving down the highway at 100 km/hr. This is a design flaw that needs to be recalled. I submitted a report to Transport Canada and will try to submit one in the US, as well.
Old 08-26-2021, 08:35 AM   #4

Thanks. Seems like you are facing an uphill battle. Have you checked the cost to repair? I have to slowdown I read your 100 and totally skipping the km/hr and thought you must be crazy LOL good luck
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 11:15 AM   #5

I feel your pain. It has happened to me twice.

1st time the repair was only $850.00, CDN. Second time it was nonwarranty, but they felt bad so it was only $600.00

I'm in S. Ontario and used a rv dealer near Smithville ON.
What Have I done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 08:00 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by What Have I done View Post
I feel your pain. It has happened to me twice.

1st time the repair was only $850.00, CDN. Second time it was nonwarranty, but they felt bad so it was only $600.00

I'm in S. Ontario and used a rv dealer near Smithville ON.
Yikes! That is not encouraging! Hope you are now permanently repaired without further issues.
Old 08-26-2021, 08:15 PM   #7

It will probably happen again. They use 1/4 inch screws at the factory to attach the wall to the actually floor of the unit. The first repair, they used almost the same screws.

Second repair they used 3/8 self tapping screws, same screws that they use to put down floors.

If it happens again I will repair it myself with bolts. Just have to follow the instructions in that first thread here on the forum.
What Have I done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 08:15 PM   #8

How about some pictures???

A 9 year old RV, automobile or motor scooter is NOT going to be recalled anywhere.

Water intrusion does not have to start at the roof.

Oh and don't get me started on typical Canadian roads... I blew a tire and bent a rim in one of the smaller potholes I couldn't dodge with my boat trailer on one of the main roads in Ontario.

I believe this will be a DIY job as usually there is a ten year cutoff for any repair facility for most anything of this type... at least that gives the repair shop a reason for refusal on older units

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 11:22 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdata View Post

A 9 year old RV, automobile or motor scooter is NOT going to be recalled anywhere.
It is irrelevant that I have a 9-year-old Motorhome. This is a design flaw that goes as far back as 2008 and should have been recalled years ago.