Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-03-2013, 02:47 AM   #1

Signed papers today...wondered about inverter

What a great feeling. Wife and I signed the papers today ordering our new XL 350 TS. We're are really excited but had a few questions thought you all could help with.

1) what size inverter should we install to run tvs while driving and possibly some outlets

2) any recommendations on a cover ( dealer said sunbrella custom fit but would be $1400)

3) where should we look for extended warranty?

Thanks all.
rhjmspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 06:42 AM   #2

If so why do you need a invertor?
You do have a 5,500 watt generator for power dry camping.

1st you have to add up your wattage you have for your 120 volt items.
You won't have all running at the same time so this number just give you some idea what you have.
Then you have to look at the size and amperage of your batteries inthe coach.
The ones you get all depend onyour model and I can tell you what they will be other than two 12 volt batteries hooked up in parrellel.

Then you have to ask yourself when would I use this invertor?
Will it be for short dry camping and I will only use the TV at night for a few hours or will it be more?

Bottom line is that a minimum should be 1000 watt and a max would be 2000 watt.

The other question is doesn't your rig come with a generator?
If so why do you need a invertor?

Questions and more questions...
I'm sure you will recieve more opinions. No rush and wit until your coach is delivered and see what it has.

Can't tell you if you need a cover but they usually only last a year or two before they need to be replaced. Expensive.

DO NOT waste your money for a dealers extended warranty.
If you use your rig enough in the first year you will find out what needs to be repaired and replaced under the FR 1 year .

Also Ford covers the chassis, engine and drive train for 36 months or 36,000 miles. Don't let the dealer scare you in buying a warranty for say 2 years which really is only for 1 year as FR covers the first anyway.
Put $3,000 in a special bank account and don't touch it an dthat will be your warranty.

Good luck. Now the waiting begins.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 07:54 AM   #3

If you have the space build a metal carport "cover" for it or a wooden framed cover ... they are cheaper in the long run.... (more $ up front) the coth type covers don't last long.... Where I live I would be lucky to get a year out of one....

The wait begins...... keep in touch with your dealer .......
Enjoy ..............

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 08:07 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhjmspeed View Post
What a great feeling. Wife and I signed the papers today ordering our new XL 350 TS. We're are really excited but had a few questions thought you all could help with.

1) what size inverter should we install to run tvs while driving and possibly some outlets

2) any recommendations on a cover ( dealer said sunbrella custom fit but would be $1400)

3) where should we look for extended warranty?

Thanks all.
Congrats on signing. Did you go with Terrytown? Here's my opinions about your questions:
1. You don't need it. We run the generator while underway to run tvs. I works great.
2. We got the ADCO Designer Tyvek conver from Camping world and it has worked great. We got the matching wheel covers too. Just cover awning edges with something to avoid any tearing. It goes on a really good sale in September ($385 last fall).
3. I respectfully disagree with Iggy. I think there is no worse feeling that getting ready for a trip to find out your refer just died and it's going to $$$ to fix. I researched several and found that Terrytown's extended service plan was pretty good. Plus you can add it to your financing (about $12/month). If you find that you don't need it later on or find a better deal, you can alway cancel the contract for a pro-rated refund.

Also just a couple of words of advice.....make sure the dealer gives you all the exterior touch up paints. And they recommend storing them in the refrigerator. Next, check the finish on the wheel covers and lug nut covers. It was something I missed and they were all rusted and discolored.
Next, if you are planning on getting anything done aftermarket, I would strongly recommend a place in Elkhart, IN called Master Tech. They quality of work is light years beyond dealers. I have an appt with them in the spring to get several things done (Satellite, electrical, etc).
Finally I'd recommend getting an alignment done when you get the unit. If in the Metro Detroit area, Harold's Frame Shop in Novi is a great place to get it done. Mine was out significantly and FR reimbursed the cost of the alignment. And of course do the suspension mod (front and rear).
MGOBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 12:42 PM   #5

We haven't bought a cover.
2 clear coats, $35 truck wash and hand wax this yr.

We use something like this to run the TV when we're WalMart camping and don't need heat or ac. I wired a cigarette adapter to it and plug it in at the antenna buster.

http://www.amazon.com/AIMS-Power-watt-PURE-Inverter/dp/B000X909MC/ref=sr_1_18?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1359912778&sr =1-18&keywords=inverter

ab&jb
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	300watt pure sine wave.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	15.3 KB
ID:	23831  
Old 02-03-2013, 07:19 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGOBlue View Post
Congrats on signing. D
3. I respectfully disagree with Iggy. I think there is no worse feeling that getting ready for a trip to find out your refer just died and it's going to $$$ to fix. I researched several and found that Terrytown's extended service plan was pretty good. Plus you can add it to your financing (about $12/month). If you find that you don't need it later on or find a better deal, you can alway cancel the contract for a pro-rated refund.

12 bux a month sounds like a deal but the payment run for 20 years the warranty lasts 2 years.plus forest river has taken care of many issues that were true defects that arose after the 1st year
the way i keep the snow off my unit is i left the detroit area for parts south
brianj
take us
tncruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 07:32 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tncruiser View Post
12 bux a month sounds like a deal but the payment run for 20 years the warranty lasts 2 years.plus forest river has taken care of many issues that were true defects that arose after the 1st year
the way i keep the snow off my unit is i left the detroit area for parts south
brianj
It's actually a 7 year warranty and since we only plan on keeping the unit for 5-7 years, it works for us....and we financed for 10 years. So it works and I certainly am not going to bet that FR will take care of any issues beyond one year.
MGOBlue is offline   Reply With Quote