Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-27-2014, 07:29 PM   #21

I got my breaker bar and a 1 1/8th socket, and used them on the stubborn wheel cover nuts. That did the trick. I was able to get off the rear covers and check/adjust the tire pressure. After reading the posts here about problems with loose nuts, I decided to tighten them back up using the socket and breaker bar instead on that little t-handle tool. By the way, all of my tires were set at 80 PSI. I set them all at 92, per the sticker next to the driver's seat. I had driven the 60 miles to my campsite with 92 PSI on the fronts and the original 80 PSI on the rears (since I couldn't get the gauge on the outside tires without removing the wheel covers. I did feel all of the tires after I got to the campground.....no difference in temp that I could tell by feel between the fronts at 92 PSI and the rears at 80 PSI. On the drive back to the storage lot, the coach handled slightly better with all tires at 92 PSI, but the ride was a little bumpier, as you would expect. So I'm wondering if the dealer keeps lower PSI in order to make the coach ride smoother? No need for the CHF on this GT 328......I can one hand it at 65-70 MPH with ease. Just keep your eyes far out into the lane to avoid steering over correction. Thanks to all for the replies...this forum is great!
Scagsdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 07:06 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scagsdale View Post
I got my breaker bar and a 1 1/8th socket, and used them on the stubborn wheel cover nuts. That did the trick. I was able to get off the rear covers and check/adjust the tire pressure. After reading the posts here about problems with loose nuts, I decided to tighten them back up using the socket and breaker bar instead on that little t-handle tool. By the way, all of my tires were set at 80 PSI. I set them all at 92, per the sticker next to the driver's seat. I had driven the 60 miles to my campsite with 92 PSI on the fronts and the original 80 PSI on the rears (since I couldn't get the gauge on the outside tires without removing the wheel covers. I did feel all of the tires after I got to the campground.....no difference in temp that I could tell by feel between the fronts at 92 PSI and the rears at 80 PSI. On the drive back to the storage lot, the coach handled slightly better with all tires at 92 PSI, but the ride was a little bumpier, as you would expect. So I'm wondering if the dealer keeps lower PSI in order to make the coach ride smoother? No need for the CHF on this GT 328......I can one hand it at 65-70 MPH with ease. Just keep your eyes far out into the lane to avoid steering over correction. Thanks to all for the replies...this forum is great!
I think you are right with the dealer keeping the tire pressures on the low side so that everything is nice and smooth when you go for a test drive. Our coach came with a road roughness measuring device (aka the cockpit side privacy curtains). They did register a higher reading when we went from 82 to 92 PSI. By going to a higher PSI, the sway improved by about 10% though. I have a pretty set of golden shocks sitting on the work bench waiting to be installed that should simmer down the measuring devices.

Tags
wheel