Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-11-2017, 09:06 AM   #1

Sirius Sat Radio Antenna Location

I have a GT 364TS. Got the Sat Radio Tuner, but it came with one of those magnetic antennas, which is wired to the tuner. I guess it is typically used with a car, and the antenna can be left on the roof, where the magnets hold it in place.

So far I have just placed it on the front dash, but I often loose signal. There is lots of cable length to run it outside the coach somewhere, but I can't find anything to stick it to.

Anyone have any experience with this set-up, or is there a better antenna I can use ??

raidernation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 09:47 AM   #2

I just glued mine to the mh roof with silicone. As a safety, I also tie-wrapped the wire to the dash radio antenna. Get great reception on the road. GT 360 XL

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Sbryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 10:00 AM   #3

I glued a small metal plate to the roof to put the antenna on. Ran the wire out the passenger side window and up the rail for the awning, out of sight and works fine.
Jim G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 01:25 AM   #4
Wildland Firefighter

We glued ours on also with silicone and ran the wire out the main slide and up the inside of the rubber slide seal. Works great. Best of luck.
Gordon and Dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 12:52 PM   #5

I used eternbond tape to tape a steel, galvanized, 4" X 4" switch plate cover to the roof and stuck the antennas magnet to it. Works perfect!
RB19RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 05:42 PM   #6

I just placed my antenna on the floor of my Geotown 360 forward upper storage bin, no glue or tape just laid flat. It is out of the weather and has worked perfect for 3 years {parked or on the road). It seems the radio signal is not impaired by the fiberglass roof.
KK
kenkaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 11:55 PM   #7

On top

Like others here I glued mine to the top. I glued down the roof wire with a strip of Eternabond. I placed it near the edge of the roof and ran the line down the corner of the cap, over to the cab door post and into the dash from there. Where it was exposed, I covered it with White Suguru so you cannot see the snaking wire.

About reception: I was told that I could put it on the top of the cab (under the cap) and that wouldn't interfere with reception. I didn't buy that and opted to mount it as described. Now I have had Sirius and XM radios on several different vehicles. Sirius radios are better at reception. XM is not as good. I have proved that to myself. If you are in the North states, the satellites are low in the South and trees, bluffs, buildings can interfere. When I was in Arizona I had no issues. I once suggested to Sirius that they sell XM regionally to southern states and reserve Sirius for the North. They never replied. I guess they never heard of me and my genius

Bentspoon
Bentspoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 03:21 AM   #8

I have a 2017 GT 364TS we got in July and it is at Camper World for a couple of things but I am leaving Sunday for Waco and points West! But really would like to get Sirius XM. It is on the Sony dash radio as an option but not sure what more I need. I guess I will let CW do it but I wasn't sure what everyone else thought. I am not sure of this dealers techs and don't want to put it outside but maybe lay it in the top cabinet over Passenger seat. Any suggestions about other install places
I am in Cincinnati. Thanks love this Forum.
Dennis King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 02:00 PM   #9
AKA: 'tiredTeacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis King View Post
Any suggestions about other install places?
Don't install it. Leave it portable in case you're parked under trees and need to move it around. I've put mine on the back bumper, the water spigot, electrical post, front bumper. I have a garden flag holder now that I bent the top over 90° and use that to hold the antenna.
2010 Tundra 4X4 5.7L V8
2014 Rockwood 2604WS
Life is a cruel teacher. She gives the test first; the lesson then follows.
awellis3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 03:06 PM   #10

Great Ideas. Thanks

I am liking the idea of attaching a metal plate to the roof. I was thinking the best place would be to use the patches of sealant that goes around the satellite prep dome, or the AM/FM Radio.

Anyone know what that material is, and what glue I should use to attach a small metal plate to it ?

Thanks
Old 09-13-2017, 05:22 PM   #11

On your 364TS do you have the Sony radio with Sirius built in? I want to get Sirius also. Did the part you showed in the photo come with your vehicle or did Sirius have to send to you? If so Do you have to take radio out of dash to plug into the back of the radio?
Old 09-13-2017, 05:32 PM   #12

Yes, it worked with the Sony Radio. That Radio is "Sirius Ready". I needed to get another part. I think it is the Sirius Tuner. I can upload photos next time I go to the RV.
Old 09-13-2017, 09:23 PM   #13

Sirius

Time is running out to have before my trip Sunday!
CW had rv since sept 4just today sent something to warranty at Forest River. Guess none of it will be done by Friday Thanks

Tags
antenna, cat, location, radio