Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-31-2021, 06:56 PM   #1

Skirting and living through winter

2021 36D7. Due to family health issues we may be forced to winter in central Indiana. Since the wind here can get vicious, I’m looking into vinyl skirting to go around the bottom and possibly a small space heater to go under it. I’m thinking I’ll have it cut in 4 pieces (front back and sides). They’ll over lap on the corners. We do have the Arctic package. We will be hooked to 50 amp. I have a turd tote to dump and access to water to refill fresh water. My concern is the bay with the pump in it and the lines running to the WH. Has anyone used skirts on a Class A like this? Any tips anyone can give me?
ejtrb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 07:27 PM   #2

central indiania? sounds cold with me in michigan. Where you staying? Vinyl Skirting is going to have zero r value. Hale bales if you can get away with it would provide more r value then a 2x4 wall.
Kimber45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 09:06 PM   #3

I wintered in Colorado one year. In the park where I stayed several permanent residents in travel trailers used foil covered Foam Board insulation as skirting. Comes in various thicknesses and R Values. Sold at Home Depot, Lowes, as well as just about every building supply stores.

Cuts with a knife and can secured to side with Duct tape. Bottom can be stabilized with "cinder block" pairs, one on inside one on outside spaced as necessary around RV.

Even the non foil versions can be used. Blue foam board is often used as foundation insulation.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 09:22 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimber45 View Post
central indiania? sounds cold with me in michigan. Where you staying? Vinyl Skirting is going to have zero r value. Hale bales if you can get away with it would provide more r value then a 2x4 wall.
East of Indy. We are outside of a small town. It’s s rural area. I really don’t want to use hay bales. We have quite a few mice in this area. I cannot get a cat as we have Siberian Huskies and they don’t mix well. I’m just wanting to keep the wind out from under the coach.
Old 10-31-2021, 09:27 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
I wintered in Colorado one year. In the park where I stayed several permanent residents in travel trailers used foil covered Foam Board insulation as skirting. Comes in various thicknesses and R Values. Sold at Home Depot, Lowes, as well as just about every building supply stores.

Cuts with a knife and can secured to side with Duct tape. Bottom can be stabilized with "cinder block" pairs, one on inside one on outside spaced as necessary around RV.

Even the non foil versions can be used. Blue foam board is often used as foundation insulation.
I’ve thought about this too. I used it before to close up draft points on a rental house. My issue is that there are times we get a pretty wicked wind out of the west. I’m afraid it’ll end up in the horse pasture to the east of us. I do not want to tape anything to the outside of the coach. Plus since I don’t have a good dump system here and I cannot install one (the house septic is on higher ground than where the coach is) I will need to drive it from time to time to empty and flush the tanks.
Old 11-01-2021, 09:02 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejtrb View Post
I’ve thought about this too. I used it before to close up draft points on a rental house. My issue is that there are times we get a pretty wicked wind out of the west. I’m afraid it’ll end up in the horse pasture to the east of us. I do not want to tape anything to the outside of the coach. Plus since I don’t have a good dump system here and I cannot install one (the house septic is on higher ground than where the coach is) I will need to drive it from time to time to empty and flush the tanks.
In that case I'd use hay/straw bales wrapped in heavy plastic sheeting.

Old 11-01-2021, 09:29 AM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
I cannot get a car as we have Siberian Huskies and they don’t mix well.
I assume this was a typo and you meant cat?
Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 09:47 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
In that case I'd use hay/straw bales wrapped in heavy plastic sheeting.

I’d still be afraid of attracting and housing a field mouse city in them. Will plastic sheeting on the hay bales keep rodents out?
Old 11-01-2021, 09:49 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
I assume this was a typo and you meant cat?

Yes. Typo. Cats and my huskies do not mix.
Old 11-01-2021, 10:10 AM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Yes. Typo. Cats and my huskies do not mix.
OK, I fixed it.

I was very confused because we had a husky about 10 years ago and he liked the car just fine. Our cats, not so much.
Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 11:25 AM   #11

Quote:
I’d still be afraid of attracting and housing a field mouse city in them. Will plastic sheeting on the hay bales keep rodents out?
It'll help alot.

Mice will usually build winter homes where food is available. Chances are they will head for a house or barn.

Placing bait stations or traps under coach should handle any rodents that do show up.

Old 11-01-2021, 01:07 PM   #12

I wintered just south of Green Bay one winter long ago in a 12x60 mobile home. It was not skirted and I recall the plumbing and drainage freezing unless "heat tape" was wrapped around both and kept powered on. Sewer was straight smooth wall PVC pipe, not the corrugated hose common in campers. There were a couple of holes in the bottom sheathing of the trailer that allowed cold to penetrate and freeze sink and toiler plumbing. Some ruthless patching after stuffing with fibreglas battening helped.

High winds blew out the furnace one afternoon while we were away. Came home to a very fluffy cat and the aquarium heaters on full heat. RV furnace is probably more immune to this than the regular small home furnace with a roof stack.

For all I know the trailer is still serving as someone's home up there.

-- Chuck
Old 11-01-2021, 10:11 PM   #13

Check out Air Skirts.
BM Welder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 10:35 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by BM Welder View Post
Check out Air Skirts.
https://www.airskirts.com/rv-skirting-kits/

Better get out both wallets..lol..

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 12:20 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalford View Post
https://www.airskirts.com/rv-skirting-kits/

Better get out both wallets..lol..

Yeah I’ve seen these. These are what I refer to as “stupid expensive”. I don’t think they’d seal the wind out as well as one I could engineer.

Tags
winter