Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-26-2014, 07:30 AM   #1

Slamming the front door

Hey all...wondered if slamming the front door to get it closed is typical for the 2014 GT328? I've seen a few other folks close the door on their MH with a gentle tug and a soft click. I worry about something breaking when it gets closed so hard.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Forest River Forums mobile app
States Camped: Illinois, Wisconsin, Iowa, Nebraska, South Dakota, Minnesota, Michigan, Indiana, Ohio, Missouri, and Ontario CA.
swiseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 07:36 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiseman View Post
Hey all...wondered if slamming the front door to get it closed is typical for the 2014 GT328? I've seen a few other folks close the door on their MH with a gentle tug and a soft click. I worry about something breaking when it gets closed so hard.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Forest River Forums mobile app
We had a GT before our Crosscountry, same issue with the door. Check the set screws on the inside of the door itself, could be loose. What we actually ended up doing was adjust the latch. Then all was good

'Pa Pa's Palace'

2014 Sportscoach Crosscountry 405FK
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
CSMRetired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 07:58 AM   #3

Ours is the same way. The door actually opened up on us while on the highway. Come to find out the bolts that hold the latch assembly came loose. I tightened them back up and the inside handle would bind internally (probably left loose intentionally at the factory so that the handle would not bind). I closed the door with the dead bolt to get us home safely. I had to do some filing to be able to get everything working properly and then used Loctite on the bolts. I realigned everything including the screen door in order for a smoother operation, but it still needs to be slammed while trying to close it from the inside. From the outside you can hold the handle open and then close it softly. Part of the problem is the door's shock. It's a piece of junk. It opens the door way to fast and it provides too much force while trying to close it.

I haven't researched it, but there has to be a better shock that would work better.
Old 05-26-2014, 08:08 AM   #4

Speaking of door shocks. I just did a quick look in CW and they have them in several strengths. The weakest I could find was 20 lbs. Not sure what FR is using, but it's worth taking a look.
Old 05-26-2014, 08:17 AM   #5
Mod free 5er

Simply repositioning the gas strut will also work wonders. On our 5er I moved both anchor points 2-1/2" closer to the hinge and it allowed the door to swing over 90° and helps close the door when within about 8".
Old 05-26-2014, 08:27 AM   #6

That's true OldCoot. There isn't much room in ours due to the awning and probably why they installed them the way they are. I wish the shock had a dead spot like you say where it will stop pushing when the door is an X amount of inches from closing. I need to play with it some to see what works best.
Old 05-26-2014, 08:47 AM   #7

I just removed the shock and it is the 20 lbs. model. I believe that's the weakest available.
Old 05-26-2014, 08:47 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Our door gets difficult to close occasionally, and a shot of WD-40 on the strike plate and latch is needed to get the door closing good again.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 09:22 AM   #9

A properly adjusted door requires NO slamming! Now the doors that have a (Shock) installed require some steady,firm pressure to close. Yes some of the shocks are not installed correctly with regards to Geometry,as well resistance in and out! I feal F/R errors on the side of caution,in regards to Wind catching the door? On the matter of the O/Post I learned at a Very young age (NOT) to Slam any Door,especially if I was Mad! I discovered my Dad got a LOT Madder,and when he was Done with Me he would show me how Well the Door would close by (Slowly) closing it! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 09:54 AM   #10

The shock on mine is either the wrong one or installed incorrectly. When opening the door, it pulls against the door frame. If you leave the door open, it won't stay in place if there is even a whisper of wind. No way to latch it. Result was that my door was pulled apart and the dealer is replacing under warranty!
Krazymace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 10:01 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazymace View Post
The shock on mine is either the wrong one or installed incorrectly. When opening the door, it pulls against the door frame. If you leave the door open, it won't stay in place if there is even a whisper of wind. No way to latch it. Result was that my door was pulled apart and the dealer is replacing under warranty!
Can you post a pic. I'd like to see what you are talking about. Ours shock is okay even though the installer snapped a sheet metal screw.

One thing I've noticed is that the door/frame seems to be temperature sensitive. We are parked in a spot where the sun hits the door side all morning and you really have to slam it. Then in the evenings it seems to be easier to close. Something is expanding causing a bind.
Old 05-26-2014, 10:03 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by alparmer View Post
Can you post a pic. I'd like to see what you are talking about. Ours shock is okay even though the installer snapped a sheet metal screw.

One thing I've noticed is that the door/frame seems to be temperature sensitive. We are parked in a spot where the sun hits the door side all morning and you really have to slam it. Then in the evenings it seems to be easier to close. Something is expanding causing a bind.

Can't post a pic Al. Dealer has had it for 3 weeks. Waiting on a new door from FR.
Old 05-26-2014, 10:07 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazymace View Post
Can't post a pic Al. Dealer has had it for 3 weeks. Waiting on a new door from FR.
Oh wow. You weren't kidding when you said your door was pulled apart. We took ours in to replace the awning two weeks ago and they hadn't even ordered the awning so we picked it up for the weekend. When we drop it off again, I'm going to have them fix the door. DW is not happy with having to slam the door when the sun is on that side.
Old 05-26-2014, 10:27 AM   #14
Mod free 5er

Quote:
That's true OldCoot. There isn't much room in ours due to the awning and probably why they installed them the way they are. I wish the shock had a dead spot like you say where it will stop pushing when the door is an X amount of inches from closing. I need to play with it some to see what works best.
Had the same awning arm restriction on my 5er. It now clears the arm by about 1-1/2" when fully open which is about 115°.
Old 05-26-2014, 10:42 AM   #15

Quote:
Oh wow. You weren't kidding when you said your door was pulled apart. We took ours in to replace the awning two weeks ago and they hadn't even ordered the awning so we picked it up for the weekend. When we drop it off again, I'm going to have them fix the door. DW is not happy with having to slam the door when the sun is on that side.

Pulled the inside frame away from the body of the door. Really isn't anything to anchor back to except styrofoam. Pretty lame door construction. I'm definitely going to have to deal with the shock or it will happen again.
Old 05-26-2014, 01:18 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnGuy View Post
Our door gets difficult to close occasionally, and a shot of WD-40 on the strike plate and latch is needed to get the door closing good again.
A shot of dry sillycone on the latch works for us. Still needed to "train" the DW that you don't need to slam the door. Slow your closing and it moves like butter.
Kirby the Old Dog, passed but still in our hearts
Max E. Dog, the new pup
Eureka the Old Cat, still hangin' on
Lostdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 03:13 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Had the same awning arm restriction on my 5er. It now clears the arm by about 1-1/2" when fully open which is about 115°.
I'm going to try that out when I get the awning replaced. Thanks.
Old 05-26-2014, 04:14 PM   #18

I'm not condemning those who have shocks on their doors, to each his own. Crazy as it sounds, that was one of the deciding factors in which TT we chose. We didn't like having to deal with the shock and having to keep it adjusted. I do have the self closing spring attached. It helps the big door swing toward the door jam. A little push and it is shut. Now, the screen door is a different story. It will slam when it closes. I've put some pads to try to cushion the slam but it keeps the big door from shutting cleanly. When closing the big door I try to use the latch do ease it closed. I too don't like slamming the door. I just don't think you should have to slam the door to close it. Back in the day, you had to close car doors by slamming. Today's cars, they close very softly.

As always, Just My Opinion.
Timex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 04:32 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timex View Post
I'm not condemning those who have shocks on their doors, to each his own. Crazy as it sounds, that was one of the deciding factors in which TT we chose. We didn't like having to deal with the shock and having to keep it adjusted. I do have the self closing spring attached. It helps the big door swing toward the door jam. A little push and it is shut. Now, the screen door is a different story. It will slam when it closes. I've put some pads to try to cushion the slam but it keeps the big door from shutting cleanly. When closing the big door I try to use the latch do ease it closed. I too don't like slamming the door. I just don't think you should have to slam the door to close it. Back in the day, you had to close car doors by slamming. Today's cars, they close very softly.

As always, Just My Opinion.
You are just kidding when your determining factor was a shock vs. spring, right? You can install either one with a few screws. Not sure what you mean by having to keep adjusting the shock. Once set, it's done...no adjustments. Back in the day you did have to slam doors on cars except for Mercedes Benz, if you could afford one. I personally wouldn't compare a car's door to an RV's door.

Could you please post a picture of your spring? It may be something we could do.
Old 05-26-2014, 05:12 PM   #20

I guess what I meant about not choosing the TT because of the shock, I could see problems with it being screwed/riveted to the door and door frame area. 1 more thing to keep up with. I use this excuse when I lose a ball playing golf, "I didn't like that ball anyway". I used that excuse to sway the BOSS away from that TT when we were TT shopping. Here's the spring I have RV Screen Door Closer - Camco 44133 - Screen Doors - Camping World. If you mount the screws per the instructions(like I did) it closes the screen door a little too strong for my liking but it helps the big door. If the screen door is what you want closed completely, this what you want. If the big door is what you want closed completely, this won't do it. It does get it to where just a little push or using the latch to close it completely will do. If you are going in/out a lot and don't need it to close, this works great.

To each his own about the shock, just wasn't for me.
Timex is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door