Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-20-2021, 08:59 AM   #1

Slide ate my drawer - Can I get a replacement?

A particularly nasty patch of pavement in Ohio this summer caused a drawer to open while the slide was in and when we slid it out, it caught the drawer and essentially destroyed it. It's pretty much beyond repair so I wonder if there is a way to get a replacement? This is our first rig with slides and I didn't look for this possibility. I'll know to look at the drawers in the future.

THanks,
Jim.
Old 09-20-2021, 09:46 AM   #2

You might try removing the drawer and taking it to a local cabinet shop and have them fix it or make one like it.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 09:56 AM   #3
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Yep this one of the things I do before even putting slides out is to check nothing is in the way to prevent what has happened to you. As sea dog mentioned look for a cabinet shop as they should be able to help you out. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 03:29 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDog View Post
You might try removing the drawer and taking it to a local cabinet shop and have them fix it or make one like it.
Ah, I guess I could take one of the other drawers in. The damaged drawer is kindling. Even one of the rails is bent. I tried to straighten it but I'm not sure it will ever fit right. I'll probably have to install new rails. I think the facing is pretty much intact so if it can be used, it'll look OK. Wish I had a decent wood working shop. This is something I'd really like to do, but about all I have are hand tools and from experience I know I'm not capable of performing that level of carpentry with them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceinspp View Post
Yep this one of the things I do before even putting slides out is to check nothing is in the way to prevent what has happened to you. As sea dog mentioned look for a cabinet shop as they should be able to help you out. Later RJD
I've learned that the hard way. This is our first rig with slides so I'm learning. Same drawer was damaged a few months ago when it wasn't entirely closed and we pulled the slides in. Fortunately judicious application of glue repaired it. I now make sure the drawers are closed before bringing the slides in, but ...

Thanks,
Jim.
Old 09-22-2021, 05:17 AM   #5

If your rig is fairly new you should be able to order a replacement through a dealer. However, the wait times could be … lengthy. I have some bits and things on order for a 2021 Mini Lite and it’s already been over a month. Another couple of options: If you have a trade school nearby they may accept it as a project. Or, check Craig’s List for somebody that does lite woodworking as a hobby. There’s a lot of old guys just looking for things to do.
Old 09-22-2021, 01:23 PM   #6

If the drawer front is still intact (or repairable) the rest can easily be remade in a woodworking shop. Matching the look of the other drawers is the difficult part and that is solved if you have the drawer front.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 01:48 PM   #7

If the drawerspace is enclosed, or at the bottom of an area (like the drawers in some dinette bases) you could consider using the drawer front, adding a couple of hinges, deleting the internals, and turning the space it into a cabinet.

Likewise, if another common/exact same drawer-type in the coach is in such a spot, if it (and related hardware) will move to the damaged area... you could do your drawer-to-cabinet conversion there.

EG previous 235s floorplan used to have one pull drawer, and one cabinet door in the dinette (door side lined up with an outer door/hatch on the slide). Door was removed, and a drawer replaced it.
15kBTU AC; 12v fridge; 1kW roof-mounted solar panels; 80 amp MPPT charge controller; 3,500w pure sine wave inverter; 30a automatic transfer switch; MicroAir EasyStart, 600ah Chins LiFePo; Honda EU2200i (with Hutch Mountain propane conversion kit) gathering dust in the storage unit.
Rhumblefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 05:52 PM   #8

While you are have a new drawer built, I would suggest swapping out the factory slide rails with self closing models. They pull the drawer closed the last few inches and have a firm hold to keep drawer from sliding open.

'09 BMW X5 xDrive35D (TV)
'15 Porsche Cayenne Diesel (Wife's)
'15 Flagstaff Micro Lite 23LB (TT)
MudyOvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 06:29 AM   #9

In your GT378 always make sure the captains seat backs are not going to interfere with the left and right slides going out/in. Just a suggestion.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 07:22 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceinspp View Post
I went to home depot to the cabinet dep they were able to custom make the parts I needed for my project you might have to call your rv service dep. For the draw slides take the broken draw with you when. You go good luck
Granger08884 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 07:59 AM   #11

It happens

My wife and I have been TT camping quite a few years now but we still make mistakes.
After a long drive over poorly maintained and very bumpy highway out to Colorado, a hardcover book fell where we didn't notice it until pushing the bedroom slide out. The book was mashed like potatoes (picture attached) but I am glad the slide-out was undamaged. Really good book, by the way. Worth every penny of the $20 for the hardcover. ☺️
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	698265CA-508E-44D6-8472-2901A6FD362F.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	360.0 KB
ID:	263337  
Swaggler is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
replacement, slide