Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-13-2021, 01:16 PM   #1

Slide frame bulge - looking for opinions :)

Hi folks! So I made a major mistake a few weeks ago. A picture frame fell off the wall near the rear slide on my GT3 (21 foot driver side). It got pinched between inside slide frame and the wall as I was extending it. I hear a lot of break and crunching from the glass framed picture thought it only broke the picture. Turns out I have a slight bulge on the outside bottom of the slide in the rear. Aside form the bulge it appears to seems to operate as usual. The area at the bulge seems solid and no where that water can get in. There is however about a 1 inch gap now at the bottom of the slide between the side of the camper and the bubble gasket. The sides of the slide seal fine. I am wondering if this is something I can live with or should I go into panic mode and have it looked at. Also, was wondering if by chance my insurance might cover something like this.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210313_120145.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	186.3 KB
ID:	249574   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210313_120213_HDR.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	226.0 KB
ID:	249575  
Old 03-13-2021, 06:21 PM   #2
NXR

Rotated and enlarged the pictures where the bulge is for better visibility.

Can you retake the picture but use a flash or shine a flashlight on it for better visibility? Also, put a tape measure in there so we can see how much it's bulged out.

Thanks,

Ray
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Bulge.PNG
Views:	103
Size:	592.8 KB
ID:	249606   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bulge2.PNG
Views:	107
Size:	904.4 KB
ID:	249607  
Old 03-13-2021, 07:41 PM   #3

Here are a few more pics along with the front side of the slide. The pics make it look worse IMO. The bulge is about 3/4 to 1 inch out. BTW the slide is a schwintek model but you probably already know that.

The sides are good and flush. The main problem is the gab at the bottom. After looking more at it the gap starts widening about 3 feet from the opposite and and slowly gets wider to about 1.5 inches at the spot of the bulge. Given that the sides of slide are really flush I may have had a gap not related to the bulge from day one. I only paid attention to the sides being flush and never really looked at the bottom until I noticed the bulge.

I have tried to rotate the pics to the right and no matter what I try they come out like this.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20210313_182431.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	176.9 KB
ID:	249635   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210313_182533.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	189.5 KB
ID:	249636   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210313_182556.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	125.4 KB
ID:	249637   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210313_182636.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	203.7 KB
ID:	249638  
Old 03-14-2021, 10:05 PM   #4
NXR

I cannot think of a way that a frame could bend the aluminum wall structure or push the styrofoam insulation so hard that it would leave a permanent deformation in the exterior fiberglass wall.

Ray
Old 03-15-2021, 12:52 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclinton View Post
Hi folks! So I made a major mistake a few weeks ago. A picture frame fell off the wall near the rear slide on my GT3 (21 foot driver side). It got pinched between inside slide frame and the wall as I was extending it. I hear a lot of break and crunching from the glass framed picture thought it only broke the picture. Turns out I have a slight bulge on the outside bottom of the slide in the rear. Aside form the bulge it appears to seems to operate as usual. The area at the bulge seems solid and no where that water can get in. There is however about a 1 inch gap now at the bottom of the slide between the side of the camper and the bubble gasket. The sides of the slide seal fine. I am wondering if this is something I can live with or should I go into panic mode and have it looked at. Also, was wondering if by chance my insurance might cover something like this.
Its possible that obstruction caused the pinion to skip a couple of teeth in the rack. System has a racks at each end of the slide with one at the top and one at the bottom. From the pictures it looks like the slide is closing at the top but not at the bottom, once the top of the slide is in contact with the unit the current sensor will think its closed and cut the power. Unless you are really handy you will need to take it to a dealer for adjusting.
Old 03-15-2021, 02:31 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royston View Post
Its possible that obstruction caused the pinion to skip a couple of teeth in the rack. System has a racks at each end of the slide with one at the top and one at the bottom. From the pictures it looks like the slide is closing at the top but not at the bottom, once the top of the slide is in contact with the unit the current sensor will think its closed and cut the power. Unless you are really handy you will need to take it to a dealer for adjusting.
I am pretty handy. If I knew where to start I might give it a shot. I assume it would involve removing the bubble gasket on the outside and getting to the rack itself. If I would need a lot of access from the rear inside it would be a challenge. There is only about 1 foot of access on the inside of the RV. If it probably needs the removal of the rack that is probably more than I need to take on
Old 03-15-2021, 03:27 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclinton View Post
I am pretty handy. If I knew where to start I might give it a shot. I assume it would involve removing the bubble gasket on the outside and getting to the rack itself. If I would need a lot of access from the rear inside it would be a challenge. There is only about 1 foot of access on the inside of the RV. If it probably needs the removal of the rack that is probably more than I need to take on
The attached document may help but if it has jumped a notch or two then its going to be some work.
If the slide still operates put it out and measure top and bottom both sides and establish if the off-set/difference is the same as when it is closed, this will be an indication that the mechanism has skipped a gear or two.

Potential problem if you decide to give it a go will be the screws that secure the racks as they put them in with a power driver, usually over-tighten so when you come to take them out the head shears off.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Schwintek In-Wall Repair Kits Manual 6-30-15.pdf (3.84 MB, 75 views)
Old 03-15-2021, 04:17 PM   #8

Quote:
The attached document may help but if it has jumped a notch or two then its going to be some work.
If the slide still operates put it out and measure top and bottom both sides and establish if the off-set/difference is the same as when it is closed, this will be an indication that the mechanism has skipped a gear or two.

Potential problem if you decide to give it a go will be the screws that secure the racks as they put them in with a power driver, usually over-tighten so when you come to take them out the head shears off.
Thanks for this info. I extended the slide and the distance at the top rack and the bottom are the same (19 inches). One other note is that the bulge is almost not existent when it is extended. There were no teeth missing on the rail. I setup a mobile repair guy in a couple of weeks but hate to get him here if he is not going to be able to make a difference. Is this something you think a mobile tech could handle. The reviews for him were all basically 5 star so he seems to be pretty good.
Old 03-15-2021, 04:36 PM   #9

Just make sure he is familiar with your slide system and has all the info on checks you have done ahead of his visit

Good luck
Old 03-15-2021, 04:45 PM   #10

Quote:
Just make sure he is familiar with your slide system and has all the info on checks you have done ahead of his visit

Good luck
Will do. Thanks for taking the time to assist!
Old 03-16-2021, 08:21 AM   #11

Before I call anyone I would try and resink your motors. There’s a y tube on it. A picture frame will not break anything but could throw your one motor out of time. I think you let it out a couple of feet a couple times I really don’t remember, but lippert also has a Video on how to time them.
Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 08:57 AM   #12

One other note is that the bulge is almost not existent when it is extended. One other note is that the bulge is almost not existent when it is extended. [/QUOTE]

Have you tried letting someone extend and retract the slide when you are standing there and watch it go out then in?
If the bulge moves then maybe you have a broken aluminum frame. I do not have your slide mechanism but I would think the motor and gears are attached to the frame and if the frame weld breaks at the bottom only maybe this is what's happening. Checkout YouTube "It's out! RV slideout removal and repair. It's not good news." Look at minute 10:40.
Of course this all may be cause by the slideout mechanism has come loose from its mounting platform. Is there any play in the slide? Check the slideout play with the slide half way out.
Old 03-16-2021, 11:35 AM   #13
NXR

Do you have a Schwintek slide mechanism or a SlimRack slide mechanism?

The Schwintek rack is metal and solidly screwed to the side of the slide. It has kind of U-shaped grooves in it.

The SlimRack rack is either black or silver and floats away from the side of the slide. It's looks like a square "rod" with gear teeth on one side and smooth on the others. It's secured on each end with a pin into a bracket.

A 21-foot slide is pretty long for a Schwintek and the PDF that was posted previously was about the Schwintek.

Ray
Old 03-19-2021, 09:57 AM   #14

Slide

Hello, looks to me to be the plastic square on your slide has become dislodged a little. If the slide looks straight along the side of the rv, then I would just remove that edge cover and reapply it. Hope this helps...
JoePK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 10:24 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoePK View Post
Hello, looks to me to be the plastic square on your slide has become dislodged a little. If the slide looks straight along the side of the rv, then I would just remove that edge cover and reapply it. Hope this helps...
Thanks. Would that be the bubble seal on the outside? What you are saying makes sense. The sides are perfectly sealed and I can see from the inside a little more daylight coming in at that spot where the frame would have got pinched at the floor. It got pinched long ways too and it was about a 10 inch frame.
Old 03-19-2021, 01:18 PM   #16

Slide

Hello, I'm talking about that square piece on the slide with the three screws holding it on. Your bulb seal looks ok from what I can see in your photos.
Old 04-15-2021, 03:25 PM   #17

I had an experienced mobile RV tech come out and he advised that it looks like the weld is broken at that point - Wall/Floor. It will need to be taken back to the factory for the slide-out to be removed and the weld repaired. That is not the news I wanted to hear. Called my extended warranty provider that I paid about 3500 for 3 years ago and they advise that the problem is structural and is not covered. After googling it looks like the FR only warranties the structure for 1 year. Not sure where to go now. Is there a contact at FR that can advise/help me?
Old 04-15-2021, 03:38 PM   #18

Forest River

Hello, I've used Celestino Lopez in the past for warranty questions. His email is: clopez@forestriverinc.com , and the phone number is 574-206-7618. Hopefully they can help a little. Let us know
Old 04-15-2021, 05:17 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoePK View Post
Hello, I've used Celestino Lopez in the past for warranty questions. His email is: clopez@forestriverinc.com , and the phone number is 574-206-7618. Hopefully they can help a little. Let us know
Thanks! I just sent him an email....fingers crossed.

Tags
frame, ram, slide