Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-12-2014, 02:27 AM   #1

Slide Out Adjustment

I need to adjust my main slide in ward so it seals better I know there are 2 rams on this slide, the front one I can see but I have to adjust the rear one, however I can not see where to access it. Needs to be adjusted approx. 1/4 inch. Does anyone know how to gain access to this? I have the manual which shows how to adjust, but can access it.
&
Our Baby Dachshund
Cammie
ramair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 11:34 AM   #2

All I can tell you is I did mine from the outside.
Can't remember if I had to remove a plastic cover or not.
Good luck
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 01:10 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
All I can tell you is I did mine from the outside.
Can't remember if I had to remove a plastic cover or not.
Good luck
Iggy did you have to adjust the same one I'm trying to do? If so did you just tighten the nyloc nut on the end of the rod inward which would make contact with the bracket sooner and allow a tighter seal when closed.
&
Our Baby Dachshund
Cammie
Old 11-13-2014, 06:54 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramair View Post
Iggy did you have to adjust the same one I'm trying to do? If so did you just tighten the nyloc nut on the end of the rod inward which would make contact with the bracket sooner and allow a tighter seal when closed.
Yes, that is the correct adjustment to be made. Put the slide out to take pressure off the nut and adjust the nut inward the 1/4 inch you need. I had to hold the ram with vice grips to keep the ram from turning while adjusting the locknut.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 07:09 AM   #5

Main Slide Adjustment - 2013 350 XL

Anyone adjusted their main slide on a 2013 350 XL? When closed, the slide is sealed tight at the front of the MH, but the corner to the rear of the MH is sticking out about 1".

Also, I occasionally get a serious rattle from the hydraulic arm contacting the floor behind the driver seat while driving; is there any adjustment to tighten that up?
chill960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 09:56 AM   #6

Quote:

Yes, I did the large kitchen slide.
I needed to have the slide a little more in when closed.
I evenly adjusted both outer nuts turning them in towards the center of the motorhome. Don't turn them more than 1/4 turn so not to pull in too far. That particular slide still sticks out a bit but the rubber gaskets seal well from rain was all I was worried about.
Old 11-13-2014, 10:01 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by chill960 View Post
Anyone adjusted their main slide on a 2013 350 XL? When closed, the slide is sealed tight at the front of the MH, but the corner to the rear of the MH is sticking out about 1".

Also, I occasionally get a serious rattle from the hydraulic arm contacting the floor behind the driver seat while driving; is there any adjustment to tighten that up?
If it is not going in evenly as you said sounds like the rear piston adjustment needs to be shortened by turning in the outside nuts a small distance inward towards the center of the motorhome. As I said earlier make small 1/4 revolution adjustments. You may have to take it all the way out and in a few times. Make sure you are on shore power and the hydraulic tank is full 3/4" to 1" from the top when everything is up and in.
Good luck
Old 11-13-2014, 11:41 AM   #8

Received a call from Forrest River and they said that the ram is accessible through the panel above the propane tank. The black material is just a fake floor and should be held in by some screws. I will check this out once it warms up here in Texas. Right now its only 27 degrees and windy, so not much is happening outside. As always thanks Iggy for the information and hope one day we can cross paths.. I will post outcome of panel if that's the case....
&
Our Baby Dachshund
Cammie
Old 11-13-2014, 11:47 AM   #9

Quote:
Received a call from Forrest River and they said that the ram is accessible through the panel above the propane tank. The black material is just a fake floor and should be held in by some screws. I will check this out once it warms up here in Texas. Right now its only 27 degrees and windy, so not much is happening outside. As always thanks Iggy for the information and hope one day we can cross paths.. I will post outcome of panel if that's the case....

Bring your rig to me and I will do it for you.
Here in Phoenix we have blue sky's with 80 degrees with a slight wind.
It's a cold winter.
Old 11-13-2014, 12:04 PM   #10

where is the S W Dessert is you plot of land? May surprise you, I wanted to go AZ this winter but the wife won and we are going to Destin area for the winter. Hope to leave around 1 Dec and back to Texas around march time frame. Then up to Goshen in August.
&
Our Baby Dachshund
Cammie
Old 11-13-2014, 12:50 PM   #11

Chill, your banging on the floor sound from what appears to be the hydraulic ram may not be your problem. When we purchased our 2011 in 2012 there was a serious banging/rattle sound coming from around the dinette slide, After several adjustments on the rams by the dealer to no avail they sought help from the factory. The nylon bushings that the square slide supports ride on through the sidewall of the rig only visible on an extended slide were defective. Essentially what was banging was the whole slide! This was not visible nor was the problem with the defective bushings. They had to remove the slide from my motor home to change out the nylon bushings. Cost of bushings, $2.97! No rattles and must say my dealer and service techs did a great job.
Kia Sportage on MasterTow Dolly
sherman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 02:55 PM   #12

Quote:
where is the S W Dessert is you plot of land? May surprise you, I wanted to go AZ this winter but the wife won and we are going to Destin area for the winter. Hope to leave around 1 Dec and back to Texas around march time frame. Then up to Goshen in August.
We are located in Surprise AZ, NW of Phoenix about 25 miles.
The gas is cheaper here than along the Gulf Coast and no hurricanes.
We do have lakes here but no gulf.
Old 11-14-2014, 01:43 AM   #13

Well it helps when you look at things in plenty of light, found the access to the ram and it is located in the propane area right above the propane tank Its black ABS plastic and you can't help but notice this. Will do the adjustment on Sat. when its gonna be warm.
&
Our Baby Dachshund
Cammie
Old 11-16-2014, 12:38 AM   #14

Well just to update everything did the slid out adjustment and found a hugh concealed compartment above the propane tank. The space is approx. 4' X 4' by 8-9 inches tall. Think I'll be cutting a hole in the cover and adding a stinky, slinky tube there. If anyone wants to see the compartment just remove the black ABS plastic cover above the propane tank and you'll see it.
&
Our Baby Dachshund
Cammie
Old 11-17-2014, 10:01 AM   #15

On my rig I have a compartment above the propane tank that is about 4ft. wide and 8inchs high and a good 6ft. in depth. I keep a 5ft. folding table in there along with a four step step stool, emergency triangles, tools, extra 25ft. water hose and a 3ft. break down table.
Kia Sportage on MasterTow Dolly
sherman12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide, slide out