Old 07-15-2020, 06:59 PM   #1

Slide out Wiring Issue

I have a 2013 Georgetown 378xl. The slide out on the passenger side (the one with the fireplace and bay window) it appears that the electrical wiring cables under the slide bunch up and bend when bringing in the slide, and straighten out when extended. It appears the the wires are breaking from the repeated stress from bending. Shouldn't they be attached to bottom with zip ties or something so they travel with the slide? My fireplace does not turn on now and I'm afraid some of the electrical wires to have broken. In particular ular the yellow cable the black cable that has come out of its protective sheathing. How should they look?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	16398.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	300.4 KB
ID:	233975   Click image for larger version

Name:	16397.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	304.6 KB
ID:	233976   Click image for larger version

Name:	16396.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	254.5 KB
ID:	233977   Click image for larger version

Name:	16395.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	284.0 KB
ID:	233978  
mrehani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 07:55 PM   #2

Looks like the installation called for 11 zip ties and they were all accounted for but in one location. It would appear that the ties should have been distributed throughout the length of electrical harness securing them to the grey electrical feed throughs. My unit does not have the external TV and something else your unit may have and that is why some of the wiring is not within the grey tubes (standard GT378 conduit). You can gain access to the J-box for that wiring through the cargo bay below the slide by removing the backwall or ceiling (can't remember which one) (just a few screws). The J-box is probably mounted on a wooden platform with a large service loop in the wiring allowing the slide to extend and retract without undue stress on the wiring. I have a 2012 GT378.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 09:14 AM   #3

That makes sense. I assume the J box is a junction box. I'll take a look at that and see what I can repair/replace. Thank you
mrehani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 10:50 AM   #4

Yes, junction box and there may be more than one (mine has one). Good luck with finding the open and re-dressing the cables. Of course, the slide needs to be out for access and power off could be a plus.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 03:12 PM   #5

I have a 2013 378 and had a similar issue when unit was about a year old. I was popping breaker to outlet after extending or while extending slide. I found wires chafed in the bend where it goes up through the floor slide. I accessed the junction box as bubbles mentioned and ran a new wire. Iíve not had issue with since. As a side note I will mention had issue with bedroom slide also. There is wiring and junction box under the floor of storage area under the bed. My wife put a couple cases of water under bed which in turn apparently caused the platform floor to slightly bow. When running slide out the bowed platform drug across the junction box located under there and ripped the wires. Installed a shallow gang junction box when rewired to allow more clearance. Be cautious how much weight is stored under bed until the junction box is replaced with a shallow one. If the platform sags and catches the junction box you will have another surprise under there also.

Tags
slide, slide out, wiring