Old 09-21-2020, 03:43 PM   #1

Slide outs quit moving for a few minutes then re-start again

Ok guys and girls, short version of a long story.
Model: 2016 GT 364ts.
Slide outs quit...all 3 not just one....wait a couple of minutes and they move again. Did all the obvious...changed the 50amp self healing circuit breaker as directed by some wonderful folks on this forum..checked battery voltage on shore power getting 12.9 volts, off shore power getting 12.6 volts on all 4 house batteries... checked chassis battery as well...getting 12.7 on that one. Strange thing is its not all the time this happens. i can go 2-3 trips with no issue, then bam, last trip out did it again. I then cranked up the generator and they worked. That tends me to believe its a battery issue? But they all check out good. I am looking for any more ideas on want to look for or to try. Greatly appreciate your help.
Thanks in advance
Old 09-21-2020, 04:24 PM   #2

Hope you are safe in LA from the storm.

When was the last time you checked the tank fluidlevel with everything up and in?

If you get air in the sytem it will eventually clear out the lines over a few trys.
But if you suck air it won't move fluid until its compressed enought with fluid behind it.

My procedure if your tank is 1/2" from the top is.

1. I level
2. I then move the largest slide out 1st because it usually has 2 pistons and takes the most fluid.
3. then I take out my 2 smaller slides.

When departing campground I do the small slides in 1st then the Largest slide then the levellers.

I also like to be on campground AC when I extend slides and retract as the battery charger helps if the batteries are low.

Good luck
Old 09-21-2020, 05:22 PM   #3

Have you load tested the batteries or just checked voltage? The battery voltage may test fine, but if you have cells going bad they may fail under a load.
phipps33 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 05:25 PM   #4

Check the following

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daroyaci View Post
Slide outs quit...all 3 not just one....wait a couple of minutes and they move again. Did all the obvious...changed the 50amp self healing circuit breaker as directed by some wonderful folks on this forum..checked battery voltage on shore power getting 12.9 volts, off shore power getting 12.6 volts on all 4 house batteries... checked chassis battery as well...getting 12.7 on that one. Strange thing is its not all the time this happens. i can go 2-3 trips with no issue, then bam, last trip out did it again. I then cranked up the generator and they worked. That tends me to believe its a battery issue? But they all check out good. I am looking for any more ideas on want to look for or to try. Greatly appreciate your help.
Thanks in advance
Fluid level
Trombetta.
FTCMCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 07:03 PM   #5

I had similar issue and found loose connection on the lippert motor power wire
gpci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 07:35 AM   #6

Thanks guys for the ideas.
Iggy,
yes we are safe from the storms, we missed both of them here, not by far but we are very fortunate, thanks for asking. I have checked the hyd level in the tank and its is less than 1/2" from the top as it should be.
Also, to me if it were a hyd level issue i would think i would here the motors "click" at least but this seems to go truly dead at the switches.....no click no nothing, not even a "groan" like it would be struggling for hyd oil.

Phipps,
I have not load tested the batteries but plan on doing so since you reminded me that bad cells do react that way..thanks

FTCMCB,
I checked the connections at the motor last night and all of them seem to be really tight, but will check them again and futher down the line as well.

Will let you guys know the out come once i load test batteries.

Thanks and keep the ideas coming, the solution cant be far away.
Old 09-22-2020, 08:27 AM   #7

Quote:
Thanks in advance
Are you trying to extend and retract the slides on battery power alone? When I had my PDI, the owner of the dealership told me that I need to run the generator for a few minutes or be on shoreline power when operating the slides. Otherwise, the batteries may not provide adequate amperage to operate them. Your system may be different, but lower battery voltage will also cause extra strain on the motors causing heat and issues that may cause premature motor failure. He said never try to bring in the slides after camping overnight with low batteries without the added amps.
2018 Camping 10 trips 38 nights
2019 Camping 6 trips 19 nights
2020 Camping 0 trips Cancellations 6
Sagecoachdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 08:30 AM   #8

Slides and leveling help

Adding a couple of things to this discussion.

First of all is a block diagram of my system. Yours my differ, but the basic and function will be the same.

Second, I am including Lippert's procedure for testing the trombetta and motor. Personally, I do not trust the Trombetta test. If you suspect it replace it. It is about $45 dollars on Amazon, I keep one as a spare. The I also use the Motor Test to extend / retract slide and leveling if I have a problem. It works just like the manual extend / retract except the motor is doing it's job and you are controlling the hydraulic valve's.

I have way more information if you need it.

I you replace anything, make sure all power is removed! On my bus, Battery Disconnect does not remove all power and disconnecting Coach Battery did not get it either. I ended up disconnecting the power at the breaker and testing with a meter.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	block diagram.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	166.5 KB
ID:	239707  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Testing the motor and Trombetta reverse polarity switch.pdf (683.0 KB, 34 views)
Old 09-22-2020, 01:10 PM   #9
Retired Member

Quote:
Thanks in advance
My 3 hydraulic driven slides were tripping 50 amp auto reset breaker. I could hear it reset and then it would operate for about 30 seconds. FR said to upgrade to 80 amp auto reset. No problems since. As others have said be sure battery is load tested. Low voltage leads to higher amps.
RMWSierra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 01:46 PM   #10

Can you hear the relay ( Trombetta) click when you push in the slide button? I would start with a short jumper from the relay power post to one side or the other of the motor. If the motor runs, then you have something wrong on the control side of the circuit, if not then it is power related.
Ken L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 03:02 PM   #11

I do not hear any click when this happens, weather it be from the motor or the switch. But i have noticed that other 12v items are NOT affected at the time it happens. Lights still work, steps still engage etc..

I am not liking the idea of increasing the breaker from 50amp to 80amp, even though that comes from FR, sounds like that's a band aid and not a fix. I just replaced that 50amp with a Brand New one to eliminate the (weak) breaker thought. Also I would think that could cause over heating or melted wire problems if there is indeed something else wrong. I maybe wrong in that assumption.

Will continue to trouble shoot and report back with more findings.

Thank you all for the great ideas......keep them coming.
Old 09-22-2020, 08:14 PM   #12

Interesting.
Your rig is the same length and I have 3 slides and 4 leveller jacks and my resettable breaker is 100 amp.
See picture.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot 2020-09-22 181115.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	381.6 KB
ID:	239751  
Old 09-22-2020, 08:24 PM   #13
Now a "Top Member"

I will be following this, as my slides do the same thing, though mine do it every time I use them. My problem is, I don't use them so often anymore. Especially with (stupid) Covid crap. Mine may well be my battery, as I know it's on the old side. But still, I will watch with interest.

I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!
EdJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 08:30 PM   #14

Okay, so I would like to add to this more for advice as we just got to Pagosa Springs, CO. Last night we didn't put out the large slide, only the bed slide as it was already a "day" and late so we just wanted to sleep. So tonight we are trying to put for the next two days and BOOM.. NOPE.. Sure you can have your bed but we like this bug huge slide in... NOT REALLY... Any advise? We JUST replaced the batteries - seriously - part of DAY 1 of this 12 day adventure....
epitts524 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 08:34 PM   #15

Check the following

Quote:
Iggy,
yes we are safe from the storms, we missed both of them here, not by far but we are very fortunate, thanks for asking. I have checked the hyd level in the tank and its is less than 1/2" from the top as it should be.
Also, to me if it were a hyd level issue i would think i would here the motors "click" at least but this seems to go truly dead at the switches.....no click no nothing, not even a "groan" like it would be struggling for hyd oil.

Phipps,
I have not load tested the batteries but plan on doing so since you reminded me that bad cells do react that way..thanks

FTCMCB,
I checked the connections at the motor last night and all of them seem to be really tight, but will check them again and futher down the line as well.

In one of my posts I included a Lippert troubleshooting test for the Trombetta and the motor. You will have to move some electrical connections but is not hard. If the motor starts replace the Trombetta.
Old 09-22-2020, 08:42 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by epitts524 View Post
Okay, so I would like to add to this more for advice as we just got to Pagosa Springs, CO. Last night we didn't put out the large slide, only the bed slide as it was already a "day" and late so we just wanted to sleep. So tonight we are trying to put for the next two days and BOOM.. NOPE.. Sure you can have your bed but we like this bug huge slide in... NOT REALLY... Any advise? We JUST replaced the batteries - seriously - part of DAY 1 of this 12 day adventure....
If it is just one slide and everything else is working I would speculate it is the cartridge valve for that slide or the coil that controls the cartridge.
Old 09-22-2020, 08:49 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTCMCB View Post
If it is just one slide and everything else is working I would speculate it is the cartridge valve for that slide or the coil that controls the cartridge.
so... where can we look for this?
epitts524 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 09:01 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTCMCB View Post
OR
it can also be the switch on the wall that operates it that is bad.
I had one do bad on my big slide 4 yeras ago in Goshen and the FR replaced it at the rally.
All good after that.
Old 09-23-2020, 05:18 AM   #19

Re: so... where can we look for this

Quote:
Iggy,

Phipps,

FTCMCB,

Quote:
Originally Posted by epitts524 View Post
so... where can we look for this?
That is a somewhat complicated answer that depends on you and your rig. I am retired Navy, I was a submarine sailor. This led me to practice operating each system associated with the rig in normal and emergency before any emergency occurred. I have found or tried to find everything and I label everything I find. Yes I have issues.

In my case I have a 2006 FR Georgetown, it has 3 slides and 4 leveling legs. The hydraulic manifold has 7 cartridge valves and 1 coil per valve. I included a picture of mine. At the end of each cartridge valve is a manual override that allows me to change the valve position and operate the system in the emergency mode. The hydraulic system on my rig is located on the drivers side in a storage compartment.

Iggy also had a good point that it could be the switch. As for testing, if it is a hard problem, something that happens every time you try to move your slide.

Testing:
Have you tried moving the slide in the emergency mode of operation? If it works in emergency that eliminates all the electrical. I can walk you through that if you don't know how.

Switch
Try swapping the leads from the suspected "bad" switch to a known "good" switch. If the slide starts working it is the switch, If nothing changes, you have eliminated the switch as a problem. Make sure you swap everything back to it's original position and verify normal operation in the "good" switch and the "bad" switch is still bad. Sometimes you have a loose connection that you did not know about, you also want to make sure you did not break anything.

Coil:
Try swapping the coil from the suspected "bad" cartridge valve to a known "good" cartridge valve. If the slide starts working it is the coil, If nothing changes, you have eliminated the coil as a problem. Make sure you swap everything back to it's original position and verify normal operation in the "good" coil and the "bad" coil is still bad. Sometimes you have a loose connection that you did not know about, you also want to make sure you did not break anything.

Cartridge Valve:
Try swapping the suspected "bad" cartridge valve to a known "good" cartridge valve. If the slide starts working it is the Cartridge Valve, If nothing changes, you have eliminated the Cartridge Valve as a problem. Make sure you swap everything back to it's original position and verify normal operation of the "good" slide and the "bad" slide is still bad.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20200904_225254074.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	392.4 KB
ID:	239760  
Old 09-23-2020, 06:51 AM   #20

Check your switch. Replaced two in our 2018 Cherokee before we sold it.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide, slide out