Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-28-2011, 04:45 PM   #1

Exclamation Slide Problems

I have a 2005 Georgetown 325S with one large sofa/booth seat slide. I have noticed that the part of slide floor by the booth seat (midship towards the rear drivers side) is now sagging when the slide is in, probably from sitting in the seat with the slide in. When u slide out the seat and floor falls into place and everthing is tight. I do not have any leaks but just concerned about it, has anyone had this problem and if I just leave it alone will it create a worse problem? Any info is greatly appreciated! Thanks ---- Marvin
mcgrosjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 05:03 PM   #2

As long as you don't have leaks I would not worry about it.. Trying to fix it to look perfect might open a costly can of worms.
polkatronron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 11:24 AM   #3

Thanks for the response Polkatronron, let me clarify that I'm not worried how it looks but when it slides in it falls about 1-1/2 inches and sliding out it falls back into place which makes the bottom corner of the slide by the rear driver wheel go in & out of the corner molding on the exterior. But like I said there is no apparent leaks yet, other than that I am very pleased with my 325S which has operated flawlessly!
Old 03-01-2011, 11:42 AM   #4

Ok you might want to talk to Forest River...a good contact there is Mike Burns.. mburns@forestriverinc.com
He is good about giving advice and knows the product well.
polkatronron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 12:12 PM   #5

I accidentally stepped on our slide floor when it was in, and I can say that I would NEVER sit down there. There is no support for the floor when retracted, and I can't imagine it would be good for it.
crocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 06:30 PM   #6

I'm confused! Our 280DS has a slide with a couch & dinette so it's probably about the same size as the one discussed in this thread. Are the couch & dinette not supposed to be used with the slide in? There are seat belts on the couch and one bench of the dinette. Nothing was said about not using it with the slide in but I didn't ask! Why would there be seat belts in it if it wasn't supposed to be used when retracted?

Enjoying the great outdoors with one hubby and 2 boxers!
2011 Georgetown 280DS
2010 Jeep Wangler 4x4 Toad
KarenS144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 10:31 AM   #7

Thanks Polkatronron I e-mailed Mike yesterday and awaiting a response. In response to KarenS144 I was told and know of others who were told that because slide outs come up off the floor when retracted they can only hold so much weight, so just for that reason "just don't sit on the sofa, booth dinette". My family and myself are average as far as weight so that is not the issue. We use our Georgetown a lot and besides camping during travel we stop and sometimes use these seats while the slide is retracted. I have a plan to put more support on these pressure points so I will wait to hear from Forest River to clarify what to do or not?
Old 03-02-2011, 09:32 PM   #8
Kanadian Kamper

Gotta side with KarenS144 on this one. How can Forest River explain having seat belts in positions that no one is supposed to sit in while the slide is retracted?

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 10:12 PM   #9

"How can Forest River explain having seat belts in positions that no one is supposed to sit in while the slide is retracted?"
================================
Possibly required by law?
Old 03-03-2011, 12:52 PM   #10

I totally agree with all of you that if the seat belts are there it is intended to sit in! I was told by my dealer and the other 2 people mentioned earlier were told by different dealers that the seats are not made to sit in while the vehicle is moving because of weight issues with the slide retracted (two different brands of class A's). Regardless, we use our seats with slide retracted or not and I am waiting for the Mr. Burns (factory guy) to respond how re-strenthen the support for the floor on the slide so it does'nt get worse! I Agree and thanks for your responses
Old 03-03-2011, 01:25 PM   #11

BTW, I mentioned the other brands for 2 friends, 2010 Canyon Star by Newmar bought brand new & 2004 HR Vacationer bought in '07. When this issue came up with my slide these two people told me that their dealers told them they should not sit on the sofa or booth seat with slide retracted because the floor does'nt have much support.
Old 03-03-2011, 03:34 PM   #12

mcgrosjr, the only thing I can suggest is to measure the space between the slide floor and your camper floor, then make a long shim to put under the slide when it is retracted. You simply must support the slide floor, otherwise you will likely damage it.
Just don't forget to pull the shim out before you extend the slide, as it may get caught and rip up your flooring.
There isn't much else you can do, as the edge of the slide floor is in the middle of your camper when retracted.
Old 03-03-2011, 04:32 PM   #13

I just checked the slides on our 280DS and the larger one rolls in & out on 5 double rollers. The smaller one for the bed has 3.

I can't see where either of our slides lift to come in or drop when they're out. From rereading Mcgrosjr's posts, I got the idea that his drops down... maybe...and then raises to come in? I could be reading it wrong. Ours seems to roll straight out and is pulled straight in with no variation in the level.

I've stepped on the slide with it retracted and don't feel any give to the floor. I just can't imagine that the dinette & couch aren't supposed to be used with the slide in especially when there are seat belts in it!

I'm very interested in what FR says about it.

2011 Georgetown 280DS
Old 03-03-2011, 04:54 PM   #14

Yes, my slide lifts up when it is all the way retracted because the slide itself moves on top of the rollers that are stationary on walls edge. This leaves the whole slide floor on the rollers by the wall & everything else is just sort of hanging (bout an inch over the stationary floor) on the interior with hardly any support, it seems your 2011 take care of this problem. I think I will put together a carpeted shim as suggested above to take care of the problem no matter what FR says. Anyway, did'nt want to make this too complicated but will keep the blog posted! Also I responded to your satellite ques because I hook to the rear cable for sat box & it works fine, hope it works for you. Enjoy Your Georgetown!
Old 03-04-2011, 10:54 AM   #15

Well, got the reply from Forest River on suggestions for my slide issues. They said that I can re-secure the floor from the inside of the booth seat like it was manufactured with other suggestions. They also said "I might suggest that you don't sit in the dinette booth's unless the slide is extended fully to the outward position". My earlier post in this thread explain the problems of the slide issue on my 2005 325S, so if yours is the same beware! It also seem from an earlier post that the newest models may have taken care of this issue, not sure. Happy Travels!
Old 03-04-2011, 12:39 PM   #16

Dash will be very disappointed if he can't lay on the sofa while we're traveling. After all, that's what the sofa's for

Gary Shapiro, 2011 Georgetown 29' Class A
Dash, Molly & Lily - now at the Bridge and forever in my heart
Shadow - 4-year-old Greyhound
Hannah - 1 1/2-year-old GSD rescue
dashonthedash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 12:54 PM   #17

Mcgrosjr>

That's just bizarre! Someone sure dropped the engineering slide rule on that day. I'm sorry you have to deal with the poor design and hope you can get it reinforced and usable without a lot of effort.

Dashonthedash>

We've got 2 boxers that would be very upset if they couldn't use the couch while we're on the road. The furkids have to be comfy!

2011 Georgetown 280DS
Old 03-06-2011, 11:20 PM   #18

Has anyone mentioned this on www.rv.net ??
Good news to get out ... Who knew !?!
Mac

08 340 TS Georgetown SE
07 GL18007
www.centexpgr.org
mac wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 11:45 AM   #19

Smile

Well I made a shim out of a 1x3x6 with a 2 1/2 x 6' piece of prefinished beveled molding on top to push it under the slide booth seat and the same kind of molding on facial to make it look factory! We already used the m-home twice and with the shim in it keeps the slide tight and no movement, perfect. Just another something on the to do list before leaving or getting to our destination. Thanks to all the suggestions on this thread as another problem is solved! Happy Camping! Marvin
Old 03-15-2011, 05:10 PM   #20

It sounds like I have to do the same thing. When mine comes in, it lifts about an inch or so off the floor.