Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-24-2020, 03:07 PM   #1

Slide topper - potential issue

We have a 2019 Georgetown GT5 31L5. Driving home today, I was hit with a wind gust on the driver’s side. As soon as the gust hit, I heard a loud noise from the roof area. I pulled over a short distance later and checked the RV and even checked the roof and could not find any issues. Everything was in place, nothing broken or missing. I am now wondering if the wind got between the slide and topper and caused the topper to billow out like a sail and then by the time I stopped it had rolled itself back up.

Just curious if anyone else has had this ever happen.

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-24-2020, 03:24 PM   #2
Señor Member

Ohhh, yeahhhh!

Does your slide topper have an anti-billow device on it? What brand topper do you have?
Old 03-24-2020, 03:36 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForestWalker View Post
Ohhh, yeahhhh!

Does your slide topper have an anti-billow device on it? What brand topper do you have?
I believe I have Dometic slide toppers and no I do not see anti-billow devices on either topper. So I guess I now know what my next project will be...

Thanks
Old 03-24-2020, 03:49 PM   #4
Señor Member

We had ours changed under warranty to Dometic after the other brand that came with the RV (Lippert Solara, I believe) kept billowing. It was designed with no stoppers.

Having to duct tape and tie strap each end every morning and then remove every evening on a 3 week trip was no fun. Oh, and this was the second slide topper installed because the first one had a billowing problem.
Solara

Dometic
Old 03-25-2020, 12:53 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTW2 View Post
We have a 2019 Georgetown GT5 31L5. Driving home today, I was hit with a wind gust on the driver’s side. As soon as the gust hit, I heard a loud noise from the roof area. I pulled over a short distance later and checked the RV and even checked the roof and could not find any issues. Everything was in place, nothing broken or missing. I am now wondering if the wind got between the slide and topper and caused the topper to billow out like a sail and then by the time I stopped it had rolled itself back up.

Just curious if anyone else has had this ever happen.

Thanks in advance.
We had that happen last November 27, 2019 crossing the Ambassador bridge between Windsor and Detroit. It was very windy and the topper ballooned so badly that it bowed the slide topper roller. We actually had to pull over and I had to get out my ladder and help it roll back in properly. I now have to bring the slide in slowly and it will roll back in on its own. Before this happened the wind ripped the solar panel off the roof. Paul 2019 Forester.
pbft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 03:12 PM   #6

Thanks for the input. I was thinking of adding a slide topper to my slide out. Is there a brand I should look for that does not do this?
Don in the Surveyor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 05:19 PM   #7

Slide Topper

I don’t know - haven’t researched that.
Paul.
pbft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 05:25 PM   #8
Señor Member

I am quite happy with my Dometic slide topper with the anti-billow device. See post #4 second picture.

Edit: My slide topper is about 21 feet long and has the anti-billow device installed at BOTH ends.
Old 03-25-2020, 06:49 PM   #9

Slideout toppers

Our slide toppers are pulling the rail off our 2020 Chaparral 30RLS front and rear. Three toppers and all are doing the same. Working to secure warrany service before the one year warranty expires April 6. Hopefully can get it repaired, dealer is way to far away so need to count on a servicing dealer for Forest River that is not the selling dealer. Guessing but looks to me they originally attached the rail to the fiberglass skin only, not the aluminum framing.
Jimhinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 10:11 PM   #10

Anti-billow device

FYI - Lippert also has an anti-billow device available for slide topper awnings.
As long as the roller tube is long enough past the awning fabric to install the device. It looks very much like the Dometic one pictured.
Quilter3446 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 10:33 AM   #11

Dometic slide topper anti billow stop kit and if needed anti billow bracket kit are optional items.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 10:41 AM   #12

From the pictures in #4, I have a Lippert Solara Topper. My GT is 3+ years old and everything tensions just fine. I would hazard a guess that the ones with problems have a bad tension set at the factory, defective/worn out spring, ... If your topper sags when out, it needs to be retensioned so that no more than 3/4 of a turn is possible before attaching fabric.

Question - Is the anti billow device part of the topper?
Was it left off during assembly by GT or a pot purchase optional accessory?
IMHO many items are like this - Just read all of the Suspension threads.

FYI, GT left off my rear camera hood - manufacturer (RVS) sent me one (N/C) when I realized it and called them - it took 6 weeks though.

UPDATE:

I just spoke to Lippert. Appears optional. Part is $6.95 plus $9.35 S&H plus tax.

The Dometic attaches at the front of the slide in the 1 or 11 o'clock positions disturbing air flow. The Lippert Solera attaches on the slide topper's right side (rear on driver's side, front on pax side) and actually prevents topper from unrolling more than 1/4 turn !!!
270S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 12:44 PM   #13

I ordered the part from Lippert directly, but after they took order ($Money), I received email saying it was back ordered until Mid April at the earliest. Just another fine example of the industry.

I was 1 minute past the 120 minute forum rqmt for editing posts so its a new post - LOL.

Special Note - The Lippert Solara looks identical to the Dometic photo.

*********************** Important ***********

OM / Installation Brochure attached

Because I actually read instructions, the service technician at Lippert gave me the WRONG installation LOCATION. It gets installed at the front, not the right side as he said. It is clearly mentioned in the instructions attached.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Anti Billow ccd-0001299.pdf (463.6 KB, 143 views)
270S is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide