Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-30-2020, 10:18 AM   #1

slide toppers

Hi all,
Just wondering if anyone has come up with a novel idea as to keeping rain water from building up and sagging the slide topper on a full wall slide. No issue as of yet but I'm sure eventually it will weaken and possibly tear the topper.
Thanks in advance,
NewL51212
NewL51212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 10:33 AM   #2

slide toppers

6” diameter pool noodles.
Funengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 10:36 AM   #3

If you will do a search on this or other forums, you will find lots of answers to this question, as well as solutions to topper flapping noise caused by wind.
Beach balls under the topper, pool noodles, ropes thrown across, constant readjustment of tension, and and and on.
People either love their toppers, or hate them.
I had one RV with three slide toppers from the factory. Never again. I found them to be pretty worthless for debris and water protection, extremely noisy in windy conditions, and needed constant adjustment. The only benefit was a slight decrease in heat caused by sun.
If they ever design a topper that works and doesn't require stopgap measures to actually attain their supposed benefits, I might look at them again.
My advice? Do like I did. Wait until the topper fabric needed replacement due to sun rot (just like a regular awning), and then just remove them.
Good luck in your endeavor!
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 10:45 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewL51212 View Post
No issue as of yet but I'm sure eventually it will weaken and possibly tear the topper.
Thanks in advance,
NewL51212
Not necessarily. The topper of course unrolls as the slide goes out but there is still plenty of unrolling left and that is what happens with water accumulation; it simply unrolls more due to weight. You're topper would be quite long with a full wall slide out. My toppers accumulate rain and sag but they are not stretching and they do what designed to do; keep the slide top free from water and debris which exits out one end or the other when the slide comes in. The slide top is dry and debris free.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide