Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-26-2016, 12:29 PM   #1
WI Sports Nut

So What Is My Inverter For?

Hi All!

I just upgraded from a travel trailer to a motorhome, and with it I got a new toy! An invertor! But I also have a generator. It seems to me that I would probably only use the invertor when driving the rig? Is that right? If I have shore power, or can run the generator, when else might I use an invertor? I would think you would want to limit it's use if the rig isn't running...

Am I thinking straight on this?
Old 09-26-2016, 12:57 PM   #2

your inverter converts dc power to ac power so you can run the things that only work off of A/C power. My Georgetown has a residential fridge and that is the only thing that is plugged into the inverter. Some folks use them to plug TV's or other small devices that will only run on A/C power. You want to limit the amount of time you are running off coach battery withour plugging in to avoid draining the coach batteries.

does your rig have a residential fridge?
Gohawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 03:26 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mljuw89 View Post
Hi All!

I just upgraded from a travel trailer to a motorhome, and with it I got a new toy! An invertor! But I also have a generator. It seems to me that I would probably only use the invertor when driving the rig? Is that right? If I have shore power, or can run the generator, when else might I use an invertor? I would think you would want to limit it's use if the rig isn't running...

Am I thinking straight on this?
I do not believe you have a invertor in your 2011 378TS model unless a previous owner installed it.
Now if you are talking about the box in your drivers side rear that is a Convertor/ battery charger that charges your coach batteries.
Here is what mine looks like in my 2012 378TS. I do not have a residential 120 volt refrigerator.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Trailer Pics 010.jpg
Views:	395
Size:	383.4 KB
ID:	121376  
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 07:15 AM   #4
WI Sports Nut

Thanks Gohawks and Iggy!

My refer is a dometic (not residential) two door unit. But I think you may be right in that the invertor powering that unit. I will have to see if there is anything else being powered by it.

Iggy, I am the 3rd owner, and one of the previous owners must have installed it. I have this switch that only says "ON", so I am slowly coming to the realization that it is my invertor. I cannot figure out what else it would be.

Old 09-27-2016, 07:49 AM   #5

Apparently there are some who install inverters so that LP/AC reefers can run from battery when on the road in order to conserve propane and due to safety considerations. I recall reading such a thread a while ago. Personally it is a strange idea as the AC features of a LP/AC unit are not that good and running an inverter to power a heating element sounds strange to me...but everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 11:37 AM   #6

If setup correctly and it's an inverter, you should find dedicated outlet (s) or a sub panel with the inverter powering it; many good ones cut 120vac through when on Genny or shore power, with a built in transfer switch. tell us more about it... brand ... watt rating... photos are nice. Probably installed to run or charge low watt items so you don't have to run the genny but still need 120vac... like a CPAP.
WW

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
I can't fix everything, but I can make it so nobody else can
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 01:36 PM   #7
dfp

I am in the process of installing an inverter in our 2015 GT310 DS. We acquired this RV just 6 months or so ago after operating a Safari Trek for ten years. The Trek came with an inverter. We use the inverter for a number of items, the crock pot when driving, PC router while on the road, and yes we dry camp and I do not want to be a noisy neighbor.

David
dfp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 09:27 AM   #8
WI Sports Nut

I am still investigating what is all on the invertor, so as I get a chance I will update. I did find out last night that my retracting stairs are on it. They don't run unless my invertor is on. Keep the feedback coming!
Old 09-29-2016, 09:47 AM   #9

Quote:
I am still investigating what is all on the invertor, so as I get a chance I will update. I did find out last night that my retracting stairs are on it. They don't run unless my invertor is on. Keep the feedback coming!
No way! Your stairs are DC operated. Perhaps your disconnect switch is turned off and you are referring to your "converter" which makes 12 volts from shore power, or you have a combination inverter/converter (Magnum and others)

2015 335DS
Old 09-29-2016, 09:59 AM   #10

Quote:
I think what you are referring to as an inverter on switch is your battery disconnect switch. I believe you have the Lippert steps and the battery disconnect switch must not have the battery disconnected for your steps to retract. The step power switch needs to be on also. Please post a picture of this mystery switch.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 10:47 AM   #11

I agree that it sounds like battery to the stairs is being powered by your converter, for whatever reason. An inverter changes DC to AC; converters do the opposite. All converters are also the charging source for your batteries and many inverters can do that as well. Getting the terminology right is important in trying to help.
WW

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
I can't fix everything, but I can make it so nobody else can
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 10:55 AM   #12
WI Sports Nut

Thanks guys.. I will get a picture of all my switches tonight and post them!
Old 09-29-2016, 11:08 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfWhistle View Post
I agree that it sounds like battery to the stairs is being powered by your converter, for whatever reason. An inverter changes DC to AC; convertersthe opposite. All converters are also the charging source for your batteries and many inverters can do that as well. Getting the terminology right is important in trying to help.
WW
X2 correct
Old 09-29-2016, 11:19 AM   #14

If your batteries are disconnected and your stairs are connected to the output side of the disconnect switch, they won't work without the converter turned on since they have no power (batteries off and no converter.) However, on my 2015, the stairs are directly wired to the batteries and are not affected by the disconnect switch.

2015 335DS
Old 09-29-2016, 12:36 PM   #15
WI Sports Nut

My wife sent me the photos guys... here what i have including the mystery switch!

When I am connected to shore power should I have the "Battery Storage Control" switch on or off?

The "Main Light Switch" is the overhead lights in the main cabin...

Thanks again!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Switches.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	121593  
Old 09-29-2016, 12:46 PM   #16

Light should be on for the battery storage switch, that means that the batteries are connected. Don't know what the extra switch is for...it isn't stock.

2015 335DS
Old 09-29-2016, 06:31 PM   #17

That switch was installed by previous owners (could be for anything powered by AC voltage). The battery disconnect switch should be on while on shore power if you want to charge the battery. It must be noted that when connected to shore power the illuminated bar in the battery disconnect switch will be on whether the batteries have or have not been disconnected. Always actuate the top half of the switch with shore power connected just to make sure if you don't want the battery disconnected.
Old 09-29-2016, 06:38 PM   #18

Quote:
My wife sent me the photos guys... here what i have including the mystery switch!

When I am connected to shore power should I have the "Battery Storage Control" switch on or off?

Thanks again!
You will have to remove the fire extinguisher and back housing and start tracing where the wires behind that switch goes or comes from.

Being its location it may just be a bypass to the propane detector if it goes off and you still want propane valve to stay open.

Iggy
Old 09-29-2016, 08:47 PM   #19

I don't see any application markings. How do you know it's for an inverter?
Old 09-30-2016, 09:28 AM   #20
Tim & Lisa Trempert

Quote:

Thanks again!

Just a guess, but because you say it affects your stairs I'm guessing it a stair switch bypass so you can retract the stairs with the door open for storage purposes. I put such a switch on mine but I installed it in the storage bay by the door.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

Tags
inverter