Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-08-2023, 12:48 PM   #1

Question Sofa Replacement - XL 377 TS

We're considering replacing the sofa in our rig with a sleeper sofa. But I found that the OEM sofa is not secured directly to the floor, but is sitting on a platform of sorts that is about 3" higher than the floor. My concern is that most sleeper sofas need to be secured on the actual floor in order for the feet at the head and the foot need to be on the same level.

Have any other 377 owners encountered this same problem? If so, how did you solve it? Can that platform be removed without resorting to a jackhammer? Or have you found a sleeper sofa that can be mounted on the platform?

Thanks in advance for your help!

CAMPING (n. CAM-ping) - When you walk the dog in your pajamas with a cup of coffee in one hand and a bag of dog poop in the other while striking up a conversation with total strangers.
PopFla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2023, 05:57 PM   #2

Wouldn't you just mount the new sofa to the platform? If that is what the OEM sofa is mounted to why change it?

If the feet front and back don't line up, either extend the platform, friends did that with a class C when they put in recliners in place of the OEM sofa, or have some nice-looking blocks made up to rest the foot legs on when the sofa is opened up.
Kia Sportage on MasterTow Dolly
sherman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2023, 10:47 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherman12 View Post
Wouldn't you just mount the new sofa to the platform? If that is what the OEM sofa is mounted to why change it?
Not sure if that would work. The OEM is a weird one with an L shape, where the short part retracts into the main part for travel, and the main part has a wonky recliner-type leg rest. I wouldn't want to extend the platform because the fireplace and lower cabinets might be obstructed. I did consider the idea of blocks under the sleeper feet; only downside to that is where to store them when not in use.
So, I'm kinda hoping that the platform can be removed and a new sofa can be secured to the actual floor, like it would be in a house.

Any 377 owners that have addressed the same problem?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Toward Kitchen.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	295555   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sofa.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	246.6 KB
ID:	295556  

CAMPING (n. CAM-ping) - When you walk the dog in your pajamas with a cup of coffee in one hand and a bag of dog poop in the other while striking up a conversation with total strangers.
Old 12-10-2023, 09:49 AM   #4

Since it appears the sofa is NOT on a slide....you should be able to remove any base from the current one. You have more options without this being part of a slide.
Where you might run into issues is the flooring. Will there BE flooring all the way to wall? Hard to match that up I imagine. I am not a fan of these "L" shaped couches. We had one in the Berkshire. Got rid of it and went to a regular sofa/sleeper there.
If I had it to do over, I would not go with RV furniture. I would look at home furniture to see what was available. The problem may be in taking it apart to get it into the coach. The RV sleepers have a very POOR sleeping surface. There may be some with an air mattress out there now however.
Old 12-10-2023, 10:49 AM   #5

Now that I see what you have (the OP) that makes a big difference. We have a similar L-shaped sofa in our rig and I have thought what would I replace it with if the crappy leather outer layer "peels" badly, and, how do you get a replacement through the door?
Old 12-10-2023, 11:22 AM   #6

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by realshelby View Post
Since it appears the sofa is NOT on a slide...you should be able to remove any base from the current one. You have more options without this being part of a slide.
Actually, it IS in a slide that spans the distance from the door to the right end of the sofa. My concern with the platform is whether or not there is plumbing and/or electrical stuff under it. I suspect I may need to chat with the FR folks who can hopefully answer the questions before I attack it with a crowbar.

Anybody know of a good contact at FR for Georgetown-specific information?

Old 12-10-2023, 11:26 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherman12 View Post
Now that I see what you have (the OP) that makes a big difference. We have a similar L-shaped sofa in our rig and I have thought what would I replace it with if the crappy leather outer layer "peels" badly, and, how do you get a replacement through the door?
Most of the RV furniture I've explored have removable backs and/or arms. And our coach has a wider-than-most door.

Old 12-11-2023, 10:56 AM   #8

Yep, that's one thing I remember an advantage of Georgetown is, that they have much wider doors than the standard RV doorway. If I ever get to the point of removing mine, getting the old one out would be no problem, even if I had to bust it apart. It would be getting the replacement in!

Tags
replacement