Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-28-2021, 09:56 PM   #1

Solar Power

Looking for suggestions on solar power. Due to COVID pricing we decided to renovate our 2012 and make do. We took it in today to install solar and a 2000 watt inverter. There was literally no space to install the inverter. Granted, we only have the 28 foot. After all the work we did to upgrade pretty much everything, this is very disappointing. Has anyone installed the panels on the roof and installed an inverter successfully?
northernlights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 08:00 AM   #2

It would help if you listed your make and model of rig. Was the no place to install determined by the installer? Some times you have to think outside the box.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 10:50 AM   #3

We have a 280DSF. I had no idea the inverter was so large. We wanted it installed in the back compartment but were told the run to the batteries was too long. The other basement compartments didn't provide enough ventilation. They also looked at taking out some bottom drawers but I don't have enough to begin with and I am pretty sure it would be an eyesore. The other issue was that this was to be a kit and since it wasn't going to work, they would piecemeal something else together. So the price then went from $4000 to $7000. (This included welding a box for two more batteries). Is this really what I can expect to pay for solar? Keep in mind I am in Canada, so more expensive. If RV pricing wasn't so ridiculous right now I would just upgrade to a larger model.
northernlights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 11:22 AM   #4

Ideally you want the Inverter/solar controller as close to the batteries as possible. You didn't list what you have/want battery wise but if you are running standard flooded batteries, you maybe able to convert to LiPo and get more capacity within the existing space.
Old 07-29-2021, 11:31 AM   #5

You have to be creative. We used part of our closet that's located at the front of the trailer. This helped keep the cost down since we had less rewiring to do and a shorter run. The power cables from the solar panels also drop down above our equipment. As far as price, you get what you paid for. Our system cost $18k, with a third of that labor.

Not sure why the picture is sideways.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2163.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	339.8 KB
ID:	260024  

2021 Cedar Creek Cottage 40CRS

Victron MultiPlus-II 12/3000/120-50 Solar installation
SacRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 11:56 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by northernlights View Post
We have a 280DSF. I had no idea the inverter was so large. We wanted it installed in the back compartment but were told the run to the batteries was too long. The other basement compartments didn't provide enough ventilation. They also looked at taking out some bottom drawers but I don't have enough to begin with and I am pretty sure it would be an eyesore. The other issue was that this was to be a kit and since it wasn't going to work, they would piecemeal something else together. So the price then went from $4000 to $7000. (This included welding a box for two more batteries). Is this really what I can expect to pay for solar? Keep in mind I am in Canada, so more expensive. If RV pricing wasn't so ridiculous right now I would just upgrade to a larger model.
I had to use the compartment next to the battery compartment on my FR3 28DS.
See:Expanding compartment space for 2200 Watt Inverter/Charger.
Thread was started 04-27-2018
2018 Solar Install Recap:
  1. Samlex EVO-2212 Inverter/Charger (May 2018)
  2. 4ea -100ah Battle Born LiFePO4 batteries (May 2018)
  3. 6ea - 100 watt Renogy Solar panels (June 2018)
  4. EpEver TRIRON 4210N 40 amp MPPT Solar Charge Controller with bluetooth (June 2018)

Cost was of labor was about $6,000, but had to add a cooling fan to the compartment for the Inverter later. (July 2019)

I have been working on fine tuning the system. see thread: Solar Power & Battle Born batteries below in my sig. I need to update it with latest trip. I think I am happy with the system now.

I just got back from a six day Boondocking trip without staying in a campground. We were able to use the microwave & Mr. Coffee at the same time with my Samlex EVO-3012 Inverter/Charger.

Freedom from campgrounds is worth it as we do not have a check out time.
Solar Power & Battle Born batteries
rk06382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 04:54 PM   #7

I have a large 1000W inverter (over 10 years old) and mounted it to the top of one of the basement storage compartments. It’s up out of the way and easy to run the wires to.

As far as solar. You will want at least 200W, 400 would be best if you have the room which you should. Make sure to use a MPPT controller as they are much better at using all the voltage for charging.

Better to have a bad day of camping than a good day at work!
Dodge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power, solar