Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-24-2012, 10:10 PM   #1

Soundproofing

I started a new project. To make my Georgetown quieter when I'm driving it. I took some sounds measurements at several speeds on a recent trip so hopefully I can get an idea of how well it worked. Sound measurements where taken on level ground at a constant speed on a calm day. I even know where I was so I can go back to that same spot since different types of pavements are louder or quieter.

After doing lots of reading around the various forums I decided to use B-Quiet brand of sound proofing. Since it had better specs and is cheaper than most of the others. It comes from Canada so it did take some time to get here. B-Quiet sound deadening material

The plan is to cover the whole under side of the coach from the door forward. With two layers of B-Quiet Ultimate and one layer of B-Quiet V-Comp.

Installation goes like this:
  1. Spray area with water from garden hose to get off dust and loose dirt. Let dry.
  2. Scrape foam insulation off where Forest River blew it on in certain spots. Most of what is scraped off is over spray.
  3. Clean with 409 cleaner and lots of rags to get road grime and grease off.
  4. Apply one layer of self stick B-Quiet Ultimate, trim with utility knife and roll with hard roller.
  5. Apply second layer of B-Quiet 90 degrees off-set to the first. More trimming and more rolling
  6. Trim and dry fit B-Quiet V-comp.
  7. Spray area and V-comp with 3M Hi-Stength 90 Spray Adhesive.
  8. Wait for both sides to get tacky and then stick it up.
  9. More trimming and rolling.
It's exhausting. I got the dog house cover done a few days ago. Today I did the whole space between the door and drivers side about 25" wide. And I did a small triangle section right next the doghouse cover.

Pictures below. Before, during and after. The bolts you can see sticking down are the four bolts that hold down the chair behind the passenger seat.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sound1.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	11223   Click image for larger version

Name:	sound2.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	11224   Click image for larger version

Name:	sound3.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	11225   Click image for larger version

Name:	sound4.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	11226   Click image for larger version

Name:	sound5.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	11227  

Old 03-25-2012, 07:34 AM   #2
CLASS "A" Senior Member

How much of a difference did it make? I'm looking for something to seal off the inside steps but still be able to access the batteries. The cold and noise as we travel is worse there than any other area.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 10:03 AM   #3

Looks good. Do you plan on covering the wheel wells also?
Gotago2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 12:54 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfsoistman View Post
How much of a difference did it make? I'm looking for something to seal off the inside steps but still be able to access the batteries. The cold and noise as we travel is worse there than any other area.
I don't know yet. But once I get it all finished and take it for a drive I'll post the data.

I plan to cover the under side of the steps also. I'll bet a lot of noise comes up through there. And if I don't get the steps in place just right I can see daylight through there. So, like you said, it's no good at keeping the cold out either.
Old 03-25-2012, 12:58 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotago2 View Post
Looks good. Do you plan on covering the wheel wells also?
Yes, I'm going to cover the front wheel wells for sure. I've already started on those areas. Just not done yet. I cleaned and scraped the right wheel well already. But I ran out of steam before I got it covered.

I did get the little triangular space between the wheel well and the dog house all covered. Boy was that little spot a pain. Here is a picture of that space after it had been scraped.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0462.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	11242  
Old 03-25-2012, 02:31 PM   #6

jsutherl
I have had the dog house cover off for a few days
looking for some soundproofing for that.
Thanks for sharing this information with us
I'll be looking foward to the update.
jojo bamboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 08:43 PM   #7

Back at it today. Finished the right front wheel well and scraped the left front wheel well.

I looked up the data sheet for the spray glue. Looks like it fails at 180 degrees. I think that will be OK but since I don't want to risk any of this insulation falling onto the exhaust manifold of the engine and starting a fire. So I installed self drilling screws and fender washers (all zink plated) to hold up the insulation in case the the glue fails. Not a lot of screws, just enough to hold everything up.

The first picture is the triangular area all finished now with screws. I used some scrap pieces to finish it so it took more screws than it should have.

The rest of the pictures are the front right wheel well. The you see sticking through the sound insulation hold the passenger seat.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	sound6.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	11283   Click image for larger version

Name:	sound7.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	11284   Click image for larger version

Name:	sound8.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	11285   Click image for larger version

Name:	sound9.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	11286  
Old 03-25-2012, 08:56 PM   #8

Doghouse

I dug out the pictures of the dog house. Here they are.

The first picture shows the dog house cover after I'd applied the self-stick ultimate.

The second picture shows all the stuff I stacked on the vComp to get the glue to set.

The third picture is the finished product.

I choose to use heavy duty construction adhesive on this part. Since I could turn it upside down and stack stuff on it until the glue drys. Plus the construction adhesive is must less sensitive to heat and is a lot cheaper.

I don't remember what brand of glue it was. It was just the calking tube of construction adhesive that you can get from Home Depot or Lowes.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	doghouse1.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	11288   Click image for larger version

Name:	doghouse2.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	11289   Click image for larger version

Name:	doghouse4.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	11290  
Old 03-26-2012, 02:25 PM   #9

Thumbs up

Nice looking job
and great pictures
Thanks for all the info.
jojo bamboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 09:08 PM   #10

Nice job. I am realy looking forward to hearing the details of the end result. I have some Rattle Trap that I,m thinking about doing the wheel wells with if I hear you say that the tire road noise has deminished alot.
Gotago2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 04:56 PM   #11

Well I've made a couple trips now and the noise level inside the motorhome at the drivers seat went from 73db down to 66db on the same stretch of road at the same speed, both measurements taken on a calm day so little wind. I pretty good improvement since every 3db you drop cuts the sound level in half. My daughter and I can now talk without shouting and I can listen to my audiobooks without noise canceling headphones.

The bad new is that shorts after taking the mesurments the 3m glue started to fail. So all of the gray sound proofing I put up has come off unless it was screwed in. The silver backed stuff is still installed, it's built in glue is holding fast. I haven't measured the sound again since that happened but it's louder again.

On the doghouse I used construction adhesive and that's still holding. I'll have to figure out another plan and try to put the gray stuff back in again. Frustrating but at least it all fell off after I parked and not on the road.
Old 07-18-2012, 08:22 PM   #12

Great information.
I also read you add a second layer of the silver stuff on top of the first layer.
That may be the best way without additional adhesives.
I'm going to see if I can buy a similiar product from USA.
I think Dynamat has something like it.
Anyone else planning to try this?
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 10:30 PM   #13

Seriously ? man i'm glad my 378 isn't noisy
SEAYALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 11:55 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harleydriven View Post
Seriously ? man i'm glad my 378 isn't noisy
My 378 isn't noisy as others have expressed not being able to talk to anyone in the passengers seat. But I'm sure if it was quieter it would be better. I'm always keeping my avenues open.
Old 07-19-2012, 06:57 AM   #15

I can't imagine,we have no hearing each other problems.. in the early 70's we'd spray that insulation under the cabs of our road trucks, i.e. peterbilts but mainly to help keep the cab,stay warm in winter, problem is, when you have a problem under there an you will, now you have to start tearing it down to find it ... its a righteous effort i guess,just don't think its worth it, think we got ours sold,then off to a diesel an that will be that...
SEAYALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 09:12 AM   #16

You will notice a differance right away.It will make you more restful on a long trip,it did me,I couldn't believe it at first.All the hard work will pay off.
louis cherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 06:42 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by louis cherry View Post
You will notice a differance right away.It will make you more restful on a long trip,it did me,I couldn't believe it at first.All the hard work will pay off.
Are you still happy?
Is everything still holding up?
Old 12-28-2014, 09:04 PM   #18

Sound from around steps

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsutherl View Post
I don't know yet. But once I get it all finished and take it for a drive I'll post the data.

I plan to cover the under side of the steps also. I'll bet a lot of noise comes up through there. And if I don't get the steps in place just right I can see daylight through there. So, like you said, it's no good at keeping the cold out either.
I have added sound reduction material around the steps ....and I believe it helped some, did the same to the dog house. I am interested if adding to the wheel welds Will help
Dogpound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 09:33 PM   #19
Ret E-9 Anchor-clanker

I tip my hat to ya bro. This is a big under taking. Did you give consideration to doing the floor on the inside? Like maybe lifting the carpet?
donanddona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 09:58 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogpound View Post
I have added sound reduction material around the steps ....and I believe it helped some, did the same to the dog house. I am interested if adding to the wheel welds Will help
Putting insolation around the steps is very easy just take the step plate out and glue and tape the material to the back
Dogpound is offline   Reply With Quote