Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-08-2022, 06:33 PM   #1

Spare parts you have?

My spare parts list is
1. Awning motor
2. Water pump
3. Additional sewer hoses (besides the ones I currently use)
4. Lots of sizes of fuses

Anybody have a spare part they carry as a must have item?

Jimbo
Jc4ut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 10:22 PM   #2

We only carry parts and supplies that are critical to function. We’re new, but this is what we have thus far.

Various pex fittings.
5ft of plex pipe.
Pex crimp tool.
Hose clamps.
Gorilla tape.
Eternal bond tape.
10ft each of various gauge wire.
Propane regulator.
Water pump.
Exterior light bulbs.
Tub of grease.
Fuses.
Resettable circuit breakers.
Toilet paper.
Old 05-08-2022, 10:36 PM   #3

Spare tire
Fuses
Batteries (AA and AAA especially)

Ooops, did not see this was motorhome specific, sorry, I'm a TT guy.
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 08:39 AM   #4
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballistic View Post
We only carry parts and supplies that are critical to function. We’re new, but this is what we have thus far.
That's what I do. More of the tools I might need to fix something temporarily than actual spares. Almost everything has gone unused except for doing repairs on the bikes, and no, I am not complaining about that.

- 5' of red Pex and 5' of blue Pex
- Pex cutter, crimper, and crimp and the "double male" fittings
- Hose clamp assortment because Harbor Freight had a cheap box
- Gorilla tape
- EternaBond in 6"
- Tube of self-leveling Dicor and the caulking gun to use it
- Small container of denatured alcohol for cleaning sealant before repairs
- Auto blade mini and micro fuses
- Batteries for all of the remotes
- Battery-powered drill, leaf blower and reciprocating saw
- Hand saw
- Socket set
- S-tip screwdrivers
- Clear packing tape
- Tie wraps in various sizes
- Box fan and extension cord for the doggie outside
- Couple of multimeters including a clamp-on ammeter
- Digital tire pressure gauge
- Viair 450P-RVS compressor
- Bike hand-operated tire pump
- "Miner" type of LED headband light
- 3-in 1 silicone slide seal spray
- 1 gallon of Home Defense spray for the creepy, crawly critters
- 1 quart of spare oil for the generator because we run it often
- Spare KW1 water filter
- 15.5' telescoping ladder
- 8.5' telescoping ladder kept in the bedroom
- 7' folding Telesteps ladder
- 50' of black tank flush also used to wash toad and motorhome
- Hose-end nozzle for the above hose
- Soft wash brush with jug of car wash
- 30' 50-amp extension cord, used twice
- A couple of real flashlights
- Assorted tubes of silicone sealant for sinks, etc.

It's no longer available where we bought it but we carry the stuff that came in this Onan 5500 generator tune-up kit because it does no good siting in the garage at home and the generator is specialized equipment:
  • Onan Air Filter PN: 140-3116 ; Onan Fuel Filter PN: 149-2341
  • Onan Oil Filter PN: 122-0836
  • Onan Spark Plugs (QTY:2) PN: 167-1638
  • GPS Spark Plug Gap Tool PN: 627-056
Bolded items are things we've used at least once.

The tie-wraps were a life-saver when the driver windshield wiper blade came loose due to a broken plastic clip on the interstate in a storm. My wife had just put a bag inside and I was able to use the tie wraps on the berm with traffic zooming past to secure the windshield wiper back to the arm so we could continue to drive.

And a bunch of other small hand tools, most of which I have never used. We had a lot of tools at home between us so I just took some of the home spares, put them in Harbor Freight tool bags, and tossed them in the motorhome because why not.

Not really much in the way of spare parts, though. We don't boondock and we're always near an area where we could buy parts or just do without. We just finished our third year and actually went over one full year sleeping inside.

We're very fortunate in that we can keep the motorhome in our driveway. I can just go out during the slow season, spring/summer/fall, and do preventive maintenance and checks whenever I get bored.

Ray
Old 05-09-2022, 08:55 AM   #5
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyLCDR
Spare tire
Fuses
Batteries (AA and AAA especially)

Ooops, did not see this was motorhome specific, sorry, I'm a TT guy.
Parts is parts! I'd carry a spare tire except for the size, weight, and cost. Instead I bought a policy from Wholesale Warranties: https://wholesalewarranties.com/tire-wheel/

The cost three years ago was $525 for 7 years of coverage. Three years ago that was about $100 more than the price of just one replacement 22.5" tire.

Today that's about $100 less than the price of just one tire. Apparently sometimes inflation and long-term contracts can work in your favor.

In our case, the policy paperwork was roughly the same cost but weighs nothing and takes up no physical space so it seemed like a better option because of where we travel.

Ray
Old 05-09-2022, 09:10 AM   #6

Interesting post. We too carry an assortment of tools and replacement parts but nothing to in depth.

Hose clamp assortment
Gorilla tape
Tube of self-leveling Dicor
mini and micro fuses
Batteries for all of the remotes
Battery-powered drill and charger
Hand saw
Socket set
screwdrivers
Assortment of pliers
Tie wraps in various sizes
multimeter
tire pressure gauge
compressor
3-in 1 silicone slide seal spray
3-in-1 Slide rail spray
Oil for engine, trans/hydraulic pump, generator
Spare water filter
flashlights
Hardware assortment, nuts, bolts, wood screws
Assorted wire/ connectors/crimps and dedicated wiring tools
6' ladder
Spray detailer
Toad, for going to get what we didn't bring!
Pretty much all has been unused unless I get bored and want to do some "hobby dicking".
About the only thing i have had to go out and purchase, at least in the last couple years is sink aerators and a cartridge for the bathroom sink faucet. Both readily available at a Home Depot or True Value.
Mooney 78865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 08:01 PM   #7

With a DP, Aquahot and Diesel generator I tend to carry most already mentioned plus fuel filters for all three, oil filters, spare wiper blades, spare belts for the engine, spare 15 & 20 Amp GFCI plugs, water filters soldering iron, quart of Power Steering fluid and on long trip usually 2 - 2.5 gals of DEF. Oh yes I use Diesel Kleen at every fill-up so on long trips again I bring 2-3 bottles as each bottle treats up to 250 gals of fuel. Also a roll of eternabond roof tape.
Great Granddaughter - Cora (2 y/o)
Great Grandson - Zek (1 y/o)
Phillip (son)/Charlotte (6 y/o)
dmctlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 11:30 PM   #8

Above a toolbox with standard tools, zip ties, fuses and lighter fluid for damp wood . I'll add hose washers and extension cord , slide lube, spare batteries (AAA-AA) Extra water supply hose, 30 amp power cord extension, 50 to 30 dog bone. By no means a complete list, but things I needed through the years that I didn't have on board but do now.
Freetyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 11:45 PM   #9

I used to carry a crapton of spare parts like water pumps, lug nuts, wheel bearings, brake parts, etc. What I discovered is that I either never needed them, or they weren't exactly what I needed, I had 80% of what I needed (which equates to a zero percent fix), or they had been ruined by carrying them around for years.
So I dumped nearly all of them and just carry simple basics like fuses, duct tape, and a fairly complete set of tools. I have so much more room!! And I'm rarely more than a few hours from a hardware/parts store no matter how far in the backwoods I am.
I will admit I carry a 4' section of pex and assorted sharkbite fittings that has come in handy many times for myself or a friend. But really it just saves us a trip into town.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 05:54 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
I used to carry a crapton of spare parts like water pumps, lug nuts, wheel bearings, brake parts, etc. What I discovered is that I either never needed them, or they weren't exactly what I needed, I had 80% of what I needed (which equates to a zero percent fix), or they had been ruined by carrying them around for years.
So I dumped nearly all of them and just carry simple basics like fuses, duct tape, and a fairly complete set of tools. I have so much more room!! And I'm rarely more than a few hours from a hardware/parts store no matter how far in the backwoods I am.
I will admit I carry a 4' section of pex and assorted sharkbite fittings that has come in handy many times for myself or a friend. But really it just saves us a trip into town.

X2 I believe in Murphy’s law. I could take a spare part for every part on the trailer and I wouldn’t have the tool or it set so long that it’s bad as well. In all honesty I had to ask myself where does one stop. Been camping for 15 years I have been blessed thus far. I haven’t had any parts go out on my trl or truck. Now on my last trip my sob sprung a leak in the water closet. A quick trip to local hardware store and problem solved for the trip. I have limited storage and I hate stuffing 15 pounds of ( stuff) in a 5 pound bag.
Old 05-12-2022, 06:35 AM   #11

I too have a TT but after 35 years of camping I had the truck water pump go bad once, the the campers once.

I carry assorted basic tools
fuses
duct tape
A very few assorted fasteners

I automatically carry a spare tire never needed but do carry.

That's about it

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 07:34 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post
I too have a TT but after 35 years of camping I had the truck water pump go bad once, the the campers once.

I carry assorted basic tools

fuses

duct tape

A very few assorted fasteners

I automatically carry a spare tire never needed but do carry.

That's about it

That's about it 2. Everything fits in a small ammo can. I do carry a long HF 1/2'' breaker bar , if I have to change a tire
jeff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 06:53 AM   #13

You KNOW you are hauling too much stuff when your first place to look for tools or parts is inside your camper
Old 05-13-2022, 03:58 PM   #14

Thanks to all who replied - think I’ll get a spare motor for the stairs and call it a day.
BTW the reason I ask is because 99% of mobile mechanics have zero spare parts and they have to run to a dealership to see if they have that certain part.
Wanted a spare water pump a few weeks back and the dealership in Linn creek Arkansas had 3 and they were 179.95 each. I told the parts person I can order that from Amazon for 59.65 and he said I know. So I ordered a new one - fixed my old one and have a spare pump now.
Nothing worse than waiting on a part when you could be traveling or camping because you had a spare. Just my 2cents. Your mileage may vary ����

Jimbo
Jc4ut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 08:31 PM   #15

After having a hydraulic hose burst near Carlsbad New Mexico (pretty darn remote area). We got lucky and found a shop that catered to the oil well industry. The shop didn't have the proper fittings so they cut out the burst section and spliced in a replacement section with instructions to replace it as soon as possible.

When we got home, we purchased two replacement hoses. Kept one as a spare and put the other one on.

On the very next trip, we had another hose failure in Illinois. No problem at all. Grabbed the spare and replaced it. When we got home we ordered two more hoses to keep on hand.

Knock on wood, those two haven't been needed, YET!

Bottom line: If your rig has hydraulic slides from the factory, the lines WILL FAIL eventually. It sucks to have them fail in remote locations if you don't have replacements.
Old 05-14-2022, 09:45 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotalso View Post
After having a hydraulic hose burst near Carlsbad New Mexico (pretty darn remote area). We got lucky and found a shop that catered to the oil well industry. The shop didn't have the proper fittings so they cut out the burst section and spliced in a replacement section with instructions to replace it as soon as possible.

When we got home, we purchased two replacement hoses. Kept one as a spare and put the other one on.

On the very next trip, we had another hose failure in Illinois. No problem at all. Grabbed the spare and replaced it. When we got home we ordered two more hoses to keep on hand.

Knock on wood, those two haven't been needed, YET!

Bottom line: If your rig has hydraulic slides from the factory, the lines WILL FAIL eventually. It sucks to have them fail in remote locations if you don't have replacements.
Sorry to hear about your hose problems.

While it is entirely possible a hydraulic line may fail in your RVs lifetime, it is not inevitable. I have hydraulic slides and levelers in my 2012 RV and the only line I have had to replace was one I damaged myself when making modifications. And all my hoses are different lengths and some are different pressure ratings, so it makes carrying spares problematic.
It is a good idea to periodically inspect what you can to prevent problems during a trip.
Oh, and we don't consider Carlsbad NM remote, just regular
Old 05-14-2022, 09:50 PM   #17

Ha Ha! I would have said WINDY and remote, but I guess "just regular" works!
Mooney 78865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 09:12 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooney 78865 View Post
Ha Ha! I would have said WINDY and remote, but I guess "just regular" works!
I understand I can see that if you are from a densely populated state, all of the Southwest would seem windy and remote. But to those of us who live here, it is just normal
Now when I go to the east/west coasts, it seems like one never ending city to me
Old 05-16-2022, 08:33 PM   #19

I carry a few things:

1. Tire plugs, glue and tools to insert plug and clean hole.
2. 12V air compressor.
3. Spare fuses.
4. A jar of nuts, bolts, washers and goodies.
5. Plumbers tape.
6. Gorilla duct tape.
7. Trauma kit (lots of cravats, maxi pads and tourniquet for heavy bleeding).
8. Basic tools.
9. Good set of jumper cables.
Hmmm not to many spare parts I suppose…
05 Chevy 2500HD 4x4 6.0
Wife W/3 rescue dogs & 12-16 chickens
Mandog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 09:28 PM   #20
NXR

Mandog, you might want to consider putting some QuikClot in your kit. I do. If you're not familiar with it, Amazon carries the product.

Ray

Tags
parts