Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-13-2022, 02:41 PM   #1

Spare Tire?

My 30x3 has 19.5 inch wheels and no spare. I’ve been OK within the US even though I go places where help can be a ways off.

Planning to take her to Alaska starting June. I have driven it twice but using a pickup camper which had a spare…that I didn’t need. I did one time have a battery problem 50+ miles from anywhere but was able to get it going jumping pickup camper batteries. That worked OK to make it to Dawson Yukon (after a tussle with Canadian customs who didn’t like me refusing to turn it off. She was a real snot. I got her boss to tame her down). New battery in Dawson way expensive but that is a cost of doing business.

I don’t believe I can easily handle a 19.5 in wheel spare. But in a pinch I can make it happen. But the spare will cost like $500 and take up valuable space in the rear compartment.

So I’m considering (for emergency use only) of just leaving off a rear wheel as my spare when needed. If a front wheel it would take an extra step. I’d use it that way till the next town with tires…likely 50-100 miles.

Has anyone done that? (Please do not waste your and my time with speculation).
Old 05-13-2022, 03:42 PM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDguy View Post
So I’m considering (for emergency use only) of just leaving off a rear wheel as my spare when needed. If a front wheel it would take an extra step. I’d use it that way till the next town with tires…likely 50-100 miles.
The problem with limping it in on one tire on the rear, is that tire you are leaving now as a single will be carrying ALL the weight of that position. If you do manage to limp it in, you may want to consider then replacing that rear tire too as it could have been overloaded.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 04:17 PM   #3
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire
The problem with limping it in on one tire on the rear, is that tire you are leaving now as a single will be carrying ALL the weight of that position. If you do manage to limp it in, you may want to consider then replacing that rear tire too as it could have been overloaded.
You may be being a bit generous with "could have been".

On my Georgetown with 22.5" wheels if I lose one of the rear tires the other one is overloaded by close to double. My axle weight per side is about 7,000 lbs.

At my regular pressure a single tire can safely support 4,160 lbs of that 7,000 lb axle weight.

If I brought it up to the full 110 PSI sidewall pressure it can safely support 4,675 lbs of that 7,000 lb axle weight.

Almost a ton and a half of weight above the design limit. Yikes...

If I lose a rear tire my plan is to get pulled over as soon as safely possible and drop the rear jacks a bit so maybe that rear tire is only overloaded by half a ton. Unless I'm on a hill. Then it's bye-bye tire.

Ray
Old 05-13-2022, 05:20 PM   #4

I drove my FR3 30DS to Alaska in 2017 and did not need the spare, but had one anyway. There is a lot of lonely road out there. I got a 19.5" rim and like new used tire from an RV Salvage in Missouri along I-44 for $200 and then $25 for mount and balance. Carried it in my tow vehicle. Glad I had it. Carry it in a rear compartment now on our Georgetown. Have a low profile 12 ton hydraulic jack and a torque wrench good for 150 lbs. from Harbor Freight. There are spare tire carrier options from Roadmaster or LCI. Good luck on your trip. We enjoyed it and will go again.
CC Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 06:12 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
You may be being a bit generous with "could have been".

On my Georgetown with 22.5" wheels if I lose one of the rear tires the other one is overloaded by close to double. My axle weight per side is about 7,000 lbs.

At my regular pressure a single tire can safely support 4,160 lbs of that 7,000 lb axle weight.

If I brought it up to the full 110 PSI sidewall pressure it can safely support 4,675 lbs of that 7,000 lb axle weight.

Almost a ton and a half of weight above the design limit. Yikes...

If I lose a rear tire my plan is to get pulled over as soon as safely possible and drop the rear jacks a bit so maybe that rear tire is only overloaded by half a ton. Unless I'm on a hill. Then it's bye-bye tire.

Ray
Several good ideas there. I’ll check the tire load limits. My normal pressure is 82 psi. I am sure they are good for 100 psi and maybe more. I carry a pump that can make that up…with patience.

I have hydraulic jacks that can lift either end enough to get a wheel off and on but I can throw in a hydraulic jack also.

Getting the lugs off could be problematic. I have stuff that will work, including a nice extension using the handle of my handyman jack. I’ll check that out too. My rear axel is 12,000 pounds so 6,000 on each side. Of course I’d limp at low speed to reduce loads. And maybe drain the water…I usually travel with full water. Not a huge amount but 50 gal weighs a bit over 400 pounds. I might be able to move a couple hundred pounds to the two tire side.

I’ll also check for used.

If on pavement I’ll try calling first but cell service doesn’t exist in many places. I might forgo the drive from Dawson over the Top of The World highway (might recall that name wrong) because it is over a hundred miles of gravel road with no services. That is where my battery crapped out last time. But it is an awesome drive and last time the US had paved a few miles over the top. That was by far the worst stretch on my earlier trip.
Old 05-14-2022, 05:03 PM   #6

Think I’m going for plan B: no RV spare and tow the toad (Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk).

I didn’t want to take the toad because of some of the roadwork and the Top Of The World highway are gravel and because it can be a pain at some gas stations. But I checked and just the tire is over $600. Plus 100 to 200 for rim. And there are other advantages for having the Jeep, including driving the open bit of road in Denali NP.

I’ll still check out removing a wheel from the RV because in some places I’ll have to drive maybe 100 miles for cell service or a tire store and unlikely the road services would drive that far.

Having the Jeep along will provide additional security. I’ll probably unhook it before crossing the ferry over the Yukon at Dawson City. Wife can drive it to the CG which is very close to the ferry (walked to it and across to visit Dawson City last time I was there.).

Leaving in a couple weeks.
Old 05-14-2022, 06:58 PM   #7
NXR

We'll be awaiting your pictures!

Ray
Old 05-24-2022, 06:37 PM   #8

Have a 369xl, 22” wheels. 2 yrs ago got a bolt in one of my front tires, not repairable, 7000 miles on it. Replaced both front. Kept good one and had it mounted on a rim. Then had a welder fabricate a tire rack under the rear of my coach ($350) to carry a spare. Now travel with peace of mind knowing I have a spare with me.
Frank DeFeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2023, 02:05 PM   #9
Old Retired User

I live in Alaska and will drive to Galbreath Lake this summer again. 2021 Gt5 31L5. I carried a spare in the rear compartment but I would like to use that space. So my plan is to attach by bolts or welding a front hitch to the front frame crossmember. Then put a opening in the lower wire opening of the grill. Into that goes the hitch mounting tire carrier from Roadmaster because I cannot lift the spare (19.5 steel rim). I dont think it will overheat but I will watch. I guarantee you that if you depend on calling for help you may be in a very difficult and expensive mess.
Cdldoc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire