Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-23-2020, 11:23 AM   #1

Splendide 1200 all in one washer/dryer

Out on our Memorial Day camping trip seems out W/D has taken a powder. It runs but the drum doesn’t move. Moves freely by hand. Not going to tackle the issue until we get home but looking for ideas or for a different brand with the same vent configuration. Splendide 2100 I was wrong in title!
RVCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 11:25 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVCrazy View Post
Out on our Memorial Day camping trip seems out W/D has taken a powder. It runs but the drum doesn’t move. Moves freely by hand. Not going to tackle the issue until we get home but looking for ideas or for a different brand with the same vent configuration.

I should add that it has always about jumped out of the cabinet during the spin cycle and sounds like it is tumbling concrete blocks at times. I don’t think it has ever been right!
Old 05-23-2020, 11:27 AM   #3

Here is the Troubleshooting and repair manual
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Annotation 2020-05-23 092959.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	261.4 KB
ID:	229694  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Splendide 2100XC_RepairMaual.pdf (1.76 MB, 51 views)
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 11:30 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
Here is the Troubleshooting and repair manual

There is no fault code, it truly seems to believe that is is functioning properly.
Old 05-23-2020, 11:32 AM   #5

Quote:
There is no fault code, it truly seems to believe that is is functioning properly.
Then all it is is the belt broke or fell off
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 12:26 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
Then all it is is the belt broke or fell off

Fingers crossed! It’s in a tight space so will have to wait until we get home to be able to remove it. Sounds to me like it makes all the right noises motors etc just not turning the drum. So belt makes total sense. Just wish we could figure out why it has such an issue with spin cycle. If you are outside motorhome sounds like it is coming apart at the seams. Does ok on wash and dry but sounds like a concrete block tumbling around during the spin. (It is almost embarrassing to run it) does fine if it is empty but add a pair of jeans alone and the noise begins. When we get it up and running I will have to record for ya’lol for additional ideas.
Old 05-23-2020, 02:27 PM   #7

Two thoughts

Quote:
Fingers crossed! It’s in a tight space so will have to wait until we get home to be able to remove it. Sounds to me like it makes all the right noises motors etc just not turning the drum. So belt makes total sense. Just wish we could figure out why it has such an issue with spin cycle. If you are outside motorhome sounds like it is coming apart at the seams. Does ok on wash and dry but sounds like a concrete block tumbling around during the spin. (It is almost embarrassing to run it) does fine if it is empty but add a pair of jeans alone and the noise begins. When we get it up and running I will have to record for ya’lol for additional ideas.
Two thoughts for you:
  1. Dryer belt failure is common. It seems like I have to replace the belt on the residential dryer every 5-6 years. The belt on those wraps around the drum, through a pair of spring-loaded pulleys in an S-shape for tension, and over the motor pulley.You can see the belt marks on the drum and where it fits on the motor pulley. It usually takes me a few minutes to figure out the routing through the tension pulleys.
  2. The drum in a washer is mounted on a couple of springs, so it can move when the load is not perfectly balanced. When washers are shipped, there are a few blocks inside that keep the drum from moving. They are SUPPOSED to be removed before installation. Sometimes it is a few extra bolts that are supposed to be discarded.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 02:33 PM   #8
NXR

Quote:
Mine did that initially and was scary even on Low Spin. On one of the first trips the cabinet in the bedroom actually partially collapsed from the vibration. Outside sounded the same, like it was coming apart.

The dealer rebuilt the cabinet adding bracing. They removed the rear pocket door and somehow got screws run into the cabinet from that side. Because that hold-down bracket at the rear was just spitting the screws out and chewing up the wood in the wall, they took a piece of board and screwed it through the wall, securing it to the wall aluminum framing. Then they screwed that hold-down bracket to that piece of thick wood, reset the feet levelers, and it’s been great for almost a year with near-daily use.

Westland sells front feet hold-down brackets to help fix vibration problems. You could look into popping that trim panel on the front underside off, mounting a 2x4 sideways in there, and then securing those feet through the floor to the 2x4.

That assumes your cabinet is like mine, of course.

Ray
Old 05-25-2020, 06:47 PM   #9

Ok so the washer has been removed from the cabinet and it has had a fatal issue. One of the concrete blocks from the top of the drum broke loose and tumbled all the way to the bottom, ripping out wiring and the belt system ending up totally jammed at the bottom of the cabinet. DH said wedged in there tighter than a bulls "butt" in fly time. Appears to be worth keeping for a few parts and nothing more.

Now the decision is it really worth replacing it or do we turn the cupboard into storage space and use W/D at RV parks?

We are also wondering if, although we couldn't find the issue previously, this was the rock tumbling noise that was heard during the spin cycle since day one that finally became a catastrophic end to the appliance.
Old 05-25-2020, 07:36 PM   #10
NXR

We would never go back to RV park laundries if at all possible. While we do use them for large comforters and the like, going back and forth waiting for an open washer and/or dryer gets really old. And scrounging quarters. And some are just simply yucky.

This, of course, presumes that your trips are long enough where you would not want to just do the laundry at home.

Now that it's removed, he should look into reinforcing the cabinet to reduce the vibration. When our 2100XC is running we do feel some vibration up front but we barely know it's running otherwise. If you do decide to replace the unit the cabinet will be ready to go.

Ray
Old 05-25-2020, 10:04 PM   #11

Call Splendide

Quote:
Ok so the washer has been removed from the cabinet and it has had a fatal issue. One of the concrete blocks from the top of the drum broke loose and tumbled all the way to the bottom, ripping out wiring and the belt system ending up totally jammed at the bottom of the cabinet. DH said wedged in there tighter than a bulls "butt" in fly time. Appears to be worth keeping for a few parts and nothing more.

Now the decision is it really worth replacing it or do we turn the cupboard into storage space and use W/D at RV parks?

We are also wondering if, although we couldn't find the issue previously, this was the rock tumbling noise that was heard during the spin cycle since day one that finally became a catastrophic end to the appliance.
The difference between RVs and cars is that for RVs, each of the appliances has its own warranty. Many are longer than one year, and many times the manufacturers are generous and will cover things after the nominal warranty has expired, if the failure is something that's not normal wear-and-tear.

First thing in the morning, call Splendide directly and tell them what happened. Offer to email photographs. See what they will do for you.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 11:00 PM   #12
NXR

Quote:
Ok so the washer has been removed from the cabinet and it has had a fatal issue. One of the concrete blocks from the top of the drum broke loose and tumbled all the way to the bottom, ripping out wiring and the belt system ending up totally jammed at the bottom of the cabinet.
OK, I gotta ask. What kind of block?

Ray
Old 06-18-2020, 10:51 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
OK, I gotta ask. What kind of block?

Ray

It appears that a concrete type block is attached somehow at the top of the washer as a counter weight. I have no idea how it was originally attached but it broke loose and tumbled down the right side of the machine (as you look at the front).
Old 06-18-2020, 12:51 PM   #14
NXR

Quote:
It appears that a concrete type block is attached somehow at the top of the washer as a counter weight. I have no idea how it was originally attached but it broke loose and tumbled down the right side of the machine (as you look at the front).
Wow, I just learned my new thing for today. I found this pic in an online training manual.

Ray
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Concrete.PNG
Views:	79
Size:	244.6 KB
ID:	231759