Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-10-2014, 07:02 PM   #1

Stairs

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1394496141.426765.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	47510
Gchcole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 07:09 PM   #2

Ok, just got our 2014 328ts about a month ago. Got it used with 5k miles. Stairs work fine during Normal operation . Problem is when storing I turn the house battery switch off open the door, the steps come out but when I close the door the steps STAY out and will not retract. I cannot get them to go in. Any ideas of what I'm doing wrong?
Old 03-10-2014, 07:19 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gchcole
Ok, just got our 2014 328ts about a month ago. Got it used with 5k miles. Stairs work fine during Normal operation . Problem is when storing I turn the house battery switch off open the door, the steps come out but when I close the door the steps STAY out and will not retract. I cannot get them to go in. Any ideas of what I'm doing wrong?
Nothing actually, steps are designed for "last man out" feature if door opens deploys steps to keep someone falling 3'. The easyway to defeat this is to shut screen door with power on, reach through door and shut off power. Close and lock outer door.
This is subject of many posts.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 07:19 PM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

Is your Step Switch, located by the front entrance, in the off position by chance?
awwall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 08:04 PM   #5

I cannot reach the switch through the screen door??
Old 03-10-2014, 08:09 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gchcole
I cannot reach the switch through the screen door??
Should have stated battery disconnct, can you reach that? Just a solonoid bswitch takes battery power from bus.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 07:53 AM   #7

Again, the stair power switch is only for retracting the steps when the screen door is closed. The steps extend automatically (power switch on or off and battery disconnect on or off) when the screen door is opened (normal operation). If you want to have your coach connected to shore power for charging batteries, etc. which requires the battery disconnect to be on (not disconnect position) and the steps retracted then the step power switch must be on when the screen door is closed. Some owners use the magnet trick to retract the steps and others (me) just close the screen door and then reach through the door opening and set the step power switch to off leaving the battery disconnect switch on then closing the main door for lock-up. It would not hurt to leave the step power switch on if you want the battery disconnect switch on and steps retracted.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 08:56 AM   #8

The easy way! Get a small bar magnet, while standing on the ground, and place it on the screen door sensor on the door frame. This tells the system that the screen door is closed even thought it is open and the steps will retract. Then turn off the step switch, turn of the Battery switch, gently close the doors, lock and walk away. Sounds complicated but takes three seconds and no reaching thru the screen door!
Kirby the Old Dog, passed but still in our hearts
Max E. Dog, the new pup
Eureka the Old Cat, still hangin' on
Lostdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 10:07 AM   #9

stairs

put an on/off switch in line at the magnet switch on the coach.when you get ready to leave step out flip switch steps go in turn off coach batts and lock up
loryray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 01:43 PM   #10

Since I'm storing without shore power and I can't reach any switches through screen door, looks like I will use lostdog magnet idea. Thanks to ALL for the posts.
Old 03-11-2014, 03:37 PM   #11

Wow, I started to freak out for a sec there. I have the same looking Jeep
fullenw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 09:25 AM   #12

stairs

Switch system works w/both doors open after sairs are in close doors and lock up. Done and Done
loryray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 10:00 PM   #13

I use the magnet trick. Simple and works every time.
rm373 is offline   Reply With Quote