Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-10-2013, 05:04 AM   #1

Starter Problems with the 2012 Georgetown 34'

Last trip we made we were having problems with starting the engine,
everything is charged. Batteries are good but when you turn the key, nothing. After a few more times and waiting we tried it again and it started. Thank goodness we got the RV home and in the back driveway.
Now it wont crank at all same problem but wont turn over at all.

I can't tow it so I am stuck in my driveway. I checked the relays, and jumpered it but it didn't work either. My next guess is the starter or cable to the starter.

Anyone know how hard it is to change? I have done it on cars but not on a V10 Motorhome. And what about Warranty... Help!
Allan007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 06:39 AM   #2

Yeah, I would say your starter or a lose connection. You could take a battery (- to chassis, and + to the starter's post) and crawl underneath to see if it will turn, if it does then you have a bad connection or relay. If it doesn't then it's most likely the solenoid in the starter. I haven't crawled under to look at mine, but I'm pretty sure it would be very similar to any other engine except really big. Google Ford V10 starter and you can get an idea of what it looks like.
Old 10-10-2013, 06:53 AM   #3

Did you try the "BATTERY BOOST" button?
It ties the house batteries to the chassis battery.

Might just be corroded battery cables.
The battery ends should be very easy to clean.
Ours always look bad, I've already cleaned them a couple of times.
I need to some of those corrosion prevention disks.

I'm not sure where the solenoid is but it shouldn't be to hard to find or change.
It's probably not on the starter motor.

Good luck
ab&jb
Old 10-10-2013, 10:54 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan007 View Post
Last trip we made we were having problems with starting the engine,
everything is charged. Batteries are good but when you turn the key, nothing. After a few more times and waiting we tried it again and it started. Thank goodness we got the RV home and in the back driveway.
Now it wont crank at all same problem but wont turn over at all.

I can't tow it so I am stuck in my driveway. I checked the relays, and jumpered it but it didn't work either. My next guess is the starter or cable to the starter.

Anyone know how hard it is to change? I have done it on cars but not on a V10 Motorhome. And what about Warranty... Help!
You have a 3 year 36,000 mile warranty from Ford. And they have free towing if you call Ford Roadside assistance 1-800-241-3673, (5yrs,60,000 miles)
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 06:48 PM   #5

Yep! That the next thing I will try is crawling under the coach to try to find the Starter and Cable.
I will do the normal jump to see if it cranks. Batteries are fully charged at 12.4v or better.
I did try the battery boost switch. No joy.
Old 10-14-2013, 03:34 PM   #6

Yep! Bad Starter. Wow. only 10K miles on this one. if anyone out there has a problem with their starter send a post. BTW. its the same starter that goes on a 2012 Lincon Navigator. Ford will remibuse the cost.
Old 10-14-2013, 04:36 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan007 View Post
Yep! Bad Starter. Wow. only 10K miles on this one. if anyone out there has a problem with their starter send a post. BTW. its the same starter that goes on a 2012 Lincon Navigator. Ford will remibuse the cost.
It's probably just the solenoid which can be replaced.

Tags
2012, georgetown