Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-28-2020, 04:41 PM   #1

Step issues

I just sold a 2013 335DS that we had sitting next to the house plugged in. Never had an issue with the steps, while it was plugged in, but the buyer stopped at a rest area on the way home and the steps wouldn't open.

Are there separate circuits for power under battery operation than when it is plugged into shore power?

A few years ago I had an issue where they wouldn't extend after it was unplugged and in storage. After starting the engine, a minute later the stairs extended. The batteries have been checked when I had this issue, and the service said they were OK.
cruzincat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 06:55 PM   #2

No separate power source which is the coach batteries and are connected directly to the batteries via a 25amp inline fuse. If a coach battery is suspect actuating the emergency start switch (with the door opened) ties the coach and chassis batteries together. If the steps extend when doing this it is most certain that the coach batteries are low on charge. The same thing happens when the engine is started (after a few seconds of the engine running) and this may have been what extended the steps those few years ago. The extension and retraction of the steps is determined by the door magnetic switch which is a normally OPEN (when door is open) switch and therefore I don't think it is the issue for the new owners. Remember that the illuminated light bar in the battery disconnect switch is not an indication that the coach batteries are not disconnected. Might should pass that on to the new owner if haven't already.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 12:40 AM   #3
Triglide

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruzincat View Post
I just sold a 2013 335DS that we had sitting next to the house plugged in. Never had an issue with the steps, while it was plugged in, but the buyer stopped at a rest area on the way home and the steps wouldn't open.

Are there separate circuits for power under battery operation than when it is plugged into shore power?

A few years ago I had an issue where they wouldn't extend after it was unplugged and in storage. After starting the engine, a minute later the stairs extended. The batteries have been checked when I had this issue, and the service said they were OK.
We had the very same problem with our 2013 335DS last year and it turned out to be the house batteries. We replaced both of them and have not had that problem since.. The voltage on a good battery should not be below 12.3 VDC, ours were at 11.5 VDC. At least that was what corrected our problem.. Hope you get your prob fixed too..

2013 Georgetown 335 DS
TriGlide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 11:00 PM   #4
Triglide

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruzincat View Post

Also make sure that the ground wires at the steps are clean and tight at both ends. A bad ground will stop the steps from actuating when the door is opened or closed.

2013 Georgetown 335 DS
TriGlide is offline   Reply With Quote