Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-07-2023, 11:27 PM   #1

Surge Protector Question

Hello All,

I'm purchasing the Watchdog PWD50EPOH, hard wired unit on my 2022 Georgetown 34H5 with the Yamaha NPS5500 gasoline generator.

Everything I found with installing the unit is only on the shoreline power cable.

My question, why not after the transfer switch to protect all electronics from gasoline generator? I'm guessing the generator has it's own surge or clean electric output so I only have to worry from bad campsite power?

Thank You,
David
David-NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 12:40 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by David-NJ View Post
I'm guessing the generator has it's own surge or clean electric output so I only have to worry from bad campsite power?
We don't have your unit, but that's generally a true statement.
Your generator is an onboard generator designed to power your coach.
EMS protect your rig from campground power fluctuations or a standalone generator that you'd plug your rig into as you do campground power.

Installing and/or using a portable EMS is a good protection for your rigs electronics.
Old 02-08-2023, 11:19 AM   #3
NXR

I wrestled with where to put the EMS, before or after the transfer switch and went with "before", so just shore power.

My reasoning was that if the EMS failed and could not be bypassed then I could have great shore power, great generator power, but no power inside the motorhome if I installed the EMS after the ATS.

I also agree that the reported cases of bad generator power are very few and far between.

Ray
Old 02-08-2023, 11:21 AM   #4
NXR

My canned thoughts on a portable EMS versus a hard-wired EMS:

If you're considering a portable unit, one that you plug into the pedestal and then you plug your RV shore power cable into it, here are a few considerations.

- I personally would not be concerned about theft. There have been many threads about that on other forums and so far I think I recall one person who had one stolen, maybe.

- A bigger concern be would be how a portable unit is protected from weather, especially where the RV cord plugs in. If that part is not under a cover you'll need to do something to keep rainwater out of the electrical connection.

If the portable one is too long for the pedestal's height, part of the EMS may be on the ground, the part where your RV cord plugs in. Rain and puddles could be a concern. One place we stay often, the FMCA member campground east of Cincinnati, OH, has the pedestal outlets maybe a foot off the ground.

- One other concern with a portable unit is people start asking themselves "Do I need to use the EMS here?" because installing a portable unit is a bit of extra work, each use. The only correct answer is YES because no one knows when or how a failure will occur but people often say "We've stayed here before so we don't use it." Uh huh...

Those are all reasons why I hard-wired mine in. It's inside, it's protected from the weather and theft, and it's always protecting. I just plug the cord in. It was more work initially but zero work ongoing.

As long as it's wired competently warranty coverage is a non-issue. The federal Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act prohibits manufacturers from invalidating warranties solely due to the use of third-party parts or labor. The only exception is if that part or the work caused the damage that the warranty otherwise would have covered.

The FTC regularly smacks companies for violating Magnuson-Moss by telling customers they must use factory parts or authorized service people or they'll lose their warranty on everything.

Hope this helps,

Ray
Old 02-08-2023, 12:03 PM   #5

Thanks Reverse_snowbird and Ray,

I googled the Yamaha NPS5500 and it uses Inverter Technology that gives "clean" power to the RV.

I also went with the hard-wire unit to keep it out of the weather, especially if my only power hook up is 30 Amps the 30A to 50A adapter may put the watchdog on the ground.

Going with, before the transfer switch and protecting just the shore power.

David
David-NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 12:17 PM   #6
NXR

Some people have placed the hard-wired EMS directly below the ATS to avoid losing too much shore power cord. They thus installed the EMS vertically so the shore cable enters the bottom and exits the top directly into the ATS. If you do that, be certain there are no restrictions in the EMS manual as to the mounting position.

You'd probably be OK with that location with the caveat to look at whether water could get into the compartment and follow the wire down and into the ATS. If that's a possibility, consider sealing the "top" where the wires enter the unit somehow.

Ray
Old 02-09-2023, 10:44 AM   #7

The thing is, you generally know your generator and how it’s running and powering things. Shore power can be questionable. I’ve had my hardwired watch dog shut down due to over voltage, under voltage and no L1 or L2.
I was going to get the portable version and wire it into the bay so I could keep it secure and bypass it if the need ever arose. But when I ordered the portable was on back order so I bought hardwired version.
Keep in Mind, the Bluetooth distance is very short. None of my stuff will see the signal unless I’m in the bedroom or the farthest rear dinette seat. I can only image the outside one would be worse as it would be farther away.

Better to have a bad day of camping than a good day at work!
Dodge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
question