Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-22-2018, 08:52 AM   #1

Suspension upgrades

I installed my Sumo springs first, that was definitely money well spent, they made a huge difference. A few weeks ago I bought and installed a steering stabilizer and a rear track bar. I have driven it only on a few short trips and everything seems to be better. Tomorrow we leave Benton, AR for Biloxi, the first real test of the upgrades. Can't wait to see the difference. I also added a 5-Star programmer and I KNOW that's a big difference.
I'll post my thoughts when we get back.
Gbegoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 08:43 AM   #2

Let me know how it goes —- I’ve been thinking about doing what you’ve done . About how much did all that cost ?

Have my Tow on the Front End adjusted helped some because it was really out .
The road conditions wreck havoc I guess
Ungechbub66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 09:30 AM   #3

FYI- sumo springs are on Black Friday sale thru holiday. Supersprings.com.

Use code SUMOSIZEME

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 01:59 PM   #4

Ford E350/450 Alignments

Posted on another site.

START QUOTE:
Jeff..Although we have a 2000 Georgie Boy 31' Maverick "C" on a Ford E450 chassis, I can fully agree on the caster effects, at least for us. When we got the unit in Jan 2014, the dealer had us take into a truck shop for an alignment. It turned out OK....A trip to Moab shortly there after brought out the problems. I then started reading the threads and comments here about the caster settings....esp., from Harvard. I checked the data from the first alignment and found that it was set at about 3 1/2 degrees positive...about in the middle of Ford's recommended range. Shortly before a cross country trip to Maryland in fall of 2016, I returned to the shop where the first alignment was done. I talked to the service manager and he knew of the problems with the E450's and was happy to increase the caster as I asked. The alignment tech was also familiar with it and ended up with settings close to 5.5 degrees positive. WHAT A DIFFERENCE! The unit tracked straight down the road, passing semis no longer caused a white knuckle hold on the wheel, and overall it was just a lot more enjoyable. It did however increase steering effort a little but not anything to worry about. But, be sure that the shop you go to is willing to "think outside of the box". Our first alignment was "plain vanilla", right in the middle like it was always done. Second time out, they were very willing to increase settings beyond what normally would be done, and still stay with in Ford's guidelines (0-7 degrees, I believe). I realize that our E450 chassis is an entirely different animal than yours, but I was trying to add support to the caster increase thinking and how it helped us......if you go down that road.
END QUOTE:
Harvard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 10:56 AM   #5

Go for the Sumos, you won’t regret it, I’ll bet!! Tiffin even offers them as an option now on their gassers.
We came from Benton, Ar. to Biloxi, about 540 miles. The difference in this trip and the last is nothing short of amazing. I’m sorry, Mississippi, but your roads and freeways are horrible! The Sumos make a huge difference in the leaning pucker factor but they also help the ride and bounce control. The steering stabilizer also made a large difference, maybe the combination of it and the rear track bar. Even my wife noticed I didn’t have to fight the steering wheel constantly. We did have some pretty bad crosswinds at times and it was better.
The 5 Star tuner is also great. It definitely stopped the excessive downshifting. I wish they would do something to keep the cruise from reacting and downshifting so quick. If I see a hill I just kick off the cruise and work the throttle myself. Mileage seems to be about the same as it was, terrible. Somewhere around 6 to 6 1/2 or so, but I am towing a Ford Explorer that is right at 5k pounds, so I guess it’s not too bad..
I think I spent around $450 for the 5 Star tuner, $900 for front and rear Sumos, $400 for the steering stabilizer and another $500 or so for the rear track bar. I did all the installs myself so free labor. None of these are hard to do with the exception of drilling the holes for the Sumo mounts. If you have any mechanical aptitude at all you can do all of these projects in your driveway.
I have fallen back in love with my Georgetown!! It is so much easier to drive, so much more responsive and so much quieter without the motor screaming on every hill.
Benton, AR
Old 11-24-2018, 05:07 PM   #6

I had to add a leaf ....just say'in

I noticed the front right tire was clipping the fender on hard right turns with a dip in the road. My chassis mechanic said that Ford admitted some of the V10 motor home chassis had these issues....and recommended fix was adding a extra leaf to right spring...that and two new Michelin steering tires. I'm not equipped to handle that type of repair so let the shop handle it.

I'm interested in towing my Ford Explorer (2014) as well...are you flat towing or with a dolly? I was worried the weight might be too much, especially if we loaded up our toad?

I'm running a Georgetown 377 XL...which I presume is very similar to you barring the improvements you just added.

Thanks for any suggestions or recommendations you can offer. I just got this unit last fall with only two short trips so far...not without problems too!

Peter
Igotchalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 09:19 PM   #7

The Explorer is very easy to tow, simply put the transmission in neutral and disconnect the battery. This is true with both 2 and 4 wheel drive units, according to the owner's manual. I haven't towed more tan a couple of thousand miles but no problems at all.
As far as yours leaning, I don't know, didn't have that problem.

Good luck and enjoy.
Old 12-01-2018, 10:04 PM   #8

Thanks for the reply...do you flat tow or dolly?
3 Soft Coated Wheaten Terriers
Igotchalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 08:34 AM   #9

I flat tow only, that’s the beauty of the Explorer. Many vehicles require a tow dolly, many cannot be on a dolly. I don’t think I’d like to have to mess with a tow dolly when I get to my destination, either.
Be sure to get you a good brake system on the Explorer, too.

Tags
suspension, upgrade